• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Rooftop1000

rooftop1000

Evie are you implying I am hooked on szechuan pepper?

At dinner time I gently lifted the szechuan pepper and fice spice braised Pork Belly from the crock pot and started crisping up slices to taste

gallery_23695_426_70029.jpg

I was trying to decide weather to cook it with the shrimp or the rainbow chard

gallery_23695_426_183094.jpg

I went with garlic on the shrimp and pork belly in the chard with the rest of the sweet corn pudding

it was the car that died, its been doing it all summer but never at the shop...now he has it Dead so maybe he can fix it

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

My mouth literally fell open when I clicked back on this topic and that picture popped up. :biggrin:

Wow.

Wow.

Gorgeous.

(Edited to add that I am not sure it shouldn't be against the law to show crispy pork belly like that to those whom have none in the house. :angry::sad: )

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Rockland County is where I first had Taylor Ham, Ellen. Wesley Hills. Then Pearl River. Then Suffern. Then Hie! Up to Greenwood Lake where Taylor Ham was not quite as popular or available.  :smile:

Hmmm ... then it must be that my folks simply didn't know about it and therefore didn't buy it. (My folks never kept kosher, and enjoyed all kinds of traif including pork products, but the fact that they themselves didn't grow up with such foods would occasionally show up in situations like this.)

Speaking of pork products ... yeah, that pork belly looks absolutely awesome. :wub:

I never had Taylor ham in Passaic or Orange County (NY), but now I feel I must get back there to try one!

Tracey - too funny about the catering/gift baskets - Stone Mountain Cheese Shop was one of the first places I worked as a kid!

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Not a whole lot going on around here today, I went and picked up my check from work, tried to determine if the old lady next door is moving or just sinkin 30 grand into the house for herself...she just kept saying ..."oh I just dont know" and I made an omlette with leftover braised pork belly

gallery_23695_426_402404.jpg

didnt like it one bit and fed it to the dog :blink:

next up a surprising photo to anyone with an idea of what Northern New Jersey is like

and hey its really cool to get hits on the motorcycle site from all over the world, sorry its not too up to date I have actually forgotten how to post pictures there

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Now I call this the front of the house since I didnt grow up in a lake community, but my neighbor Dave calls it the back since the houses are Lake Front...or something. This is the side the street is on and leads into the kitchen...which should be the back door :wacko: damned if I know. But it sure is tough on the kitchen floor having everyone come in with their dirty shoes

its not a ranch

its not a Cape Cod or a salt box

no McMansion

nope not a Condo

its a real live log cabin ....just like the one on either side and down around the block

gallery_23695_426_509071.jpg

:cool:

and boy does it need paint next summer

Maxine

My Webpage

Want to tell us the story of that PA dutch sign hanging above the kitchen door?

That is all I can think of right now.  Your log cabin leaves me agog.

:biggrin:

don't know about tracey but it is the same one that came with the

house we bought. maybe there was a sale on them? we still have it but downstairs in the basement.

if you have a lake house up here the "front door" is the one that faces the lake since, unlike other places, our "front yard" is the area that faces the lake and usually is larger than the area that faces the street.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The Dutch welcome/anti hex sign is something my husbands family all have ...I think my brother in laws is on the shed though.

And speaking of the PA Dutch I think I was asked to tell about our recent trip to Lancaster PA. Due to the flakey car and amazing gas milage of a full sized mid '80s truck we took the bike. This was just a quick trip of 3 days and after exploring a little on the first afternoon we headed to the Shady Maple buffet

http://www.shady-maple.com/

A disturbingly large "restaurant" that I have heard seats 9,000. We joined the herd after getting our table and started filling plates with ham and fried chicken, buttered noodles and corn pudding, steak and chili, roasted baby beets and fluffy dinner rolls broken open and overfilled with whipped butter.

A pass at the salad bar brought confusion with a dish of bright red minced something, of course Karl took some and it turned out to be ground Maraschino cherries. We dont know why, but it was good on cottage cheese.

Then dessert, strawberry crumble, cherry cheese pie, apple dumplings and pecan pie, oh and whole Maraschino cherries :wub:

Some of it was highly edible

The next night we took a true recomendation from LancasterMike and tried Carr's Restaurant in downtown Lancaster...freaking amazing. Big city service, plating and food quality with a $100.00 price tag on dinner for 2.

(cut from Lancaster thread)

My starter was the Hot Crab, Artichoke and Spinach dip served with toasts, crackers, chilled steamed asparagus and broccoli and roasted veg

His was the Bruschetta with sliced herbed tomatoes, prosciutto and mozzerella all toasted together over baby greems and cracked olives

A baby greens with poppy seed citrus dressing and caesar salad up next, then

My main was the Veal Oscar with oh so tender slices of veal topped with proscuitto and mozz in a red wine sauce side by side with 5 huge lumps of crab sectioned with steamed asparagus on a tart creamy white wine sauce

His was grass fed Beef Tenderloin with carmelized onions, local mushrooms, blue cheese and a creamy red wine sauce served with Potato crisp cylindars filled with mashed potatoes

did someone say dessert?

I chose the carmelized banana cake and Karls was the chocolate creme brulee and an espresso

I think I was even more stuffed after this than the buffet

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

The article linked on the Shady Maple site says it seats 1200...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ok so 1200 is much less disturbing than 9000

Farmers Market anyone? This is Ringwoods first year having a market and its only about a 15 min drive from here. I always arrive a few min early because the bread line gets way out of hand

gallery_23695_426_48956.jpg

Janet and family? were still setting up when I got there for my croissants and mixed berry scones, I usually also get Provolone bread for making toast to dip in tomato salad

gallery_23695_426_742960.jpg

the basket of long loaves perfectly arranged

gallery_23695_426_110841.jpg

cookies and biscotti

gallery_23695_426_194702.jpg

and I think new to the stand Challah, and tucked underneath in the case my beloved croissants

She took down EG web address...and only charged me half price for my goodies

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Once I have secured my croissants I can move on to the more mundane things like ummm Purple broccoli?

gallery_23695_426_246752.jpg

gallery_23695_426_1317368.jpg

gallery_23695_426_207496.jpg

this is some of my veggie haul today

gallery_23695_426_353663.jpg

Maxine

My Webpage

The other must have of the morning...

gallery_23695_426_743356.jpg

gallery_23695_426_642899.jpg

I got a quart each of Hot Chips and Half Sour

gallery_23695_426_1363495.jpg

Breakfast

gallery_23695_426_403451.jpg

Tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

Just a quick link to my best friends/daughter's godfather(s) newspaper.

They started printing this summer the new Burlington Gazette in Burlington City NJ just across the river from Philly. If anyone wants to advertise....

http://burlingtongazette.net/archive.html

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Another link for those of you in NJ that just cant live without Leberkase and Sauerkraut next week is OKTOBERFEST in Dover...looks to be a good one and we are planning to go on Saturday

http://www.germaniapark.com/octoberfest.htm

Anniversary dinner tonight at Kopici's in Bloomingdale....6th anniverary (this time around) is Monday

T

Maxine

My Webpage

What are her prices like on the bread at the Farmer's Market, Tracy? The last time I went to the one here, the only bread that looked interesting to me was the potato-garlic round flatbread. It was about seven inches in diameter and the price was six dollars.

Prices are crazy :rolleyes: 4 scones and 2 croissants were $9.00 the softball sized provolone bread is $5 or 6 but its all so good I cant stop myself

and looking at the lines forming by 9:15 neither can anyone else

T

Maxine

My Webpage

We went back to Zeytinia again this afternoon, the bakery looked much better with all the fruit in the tarts fresh and moist looking. We picked up 2 ribeye steaks for tomorrow, a small wedge of camembert, crackers and French butter $31.00

And out to dinner tonight. I usually dont go to Italian restaurants since that is how I cook anyway, but Kopici is very good, casual and Close. Its funny actually because it is a serious white tablecloth teeny candle kind of place filled with goombas in T-shirts. We were seated on an upper level over a table of 10 that was truly our entertainment for the evening. Total Sopranos family with Papa at the head of the table apparently not feeling well, with each kid and grandchild paying their respects all throughout the meal and Mama looking at them all disaprovingly.

The table behind Karl had the Hostess' Aunt and Uncle but they were dissing her left and right and a really old man seated to my left asked if James was in the kitchen and then said "Oh great another shitty steak".

Good thing we didnt order steak huh? We did order the battered, crab stuffed fried shrimp ( light, crispy, and you could taste real crabmeat)

Spiedini toasted ham and mozzarella sandwich with a creamy anchovie sauce (to die for)

For mains Karl had the Lobster Fra Diavolo, 2 split lobster tails, scallops and half a dozen each of mussles and clams over linguini

And mine was the Whole wheat gnocchi with braised beef...Hey thats what Gnocchi is supposed to taste like (light, fluffy, yummy)

I took most of that home along with a Canoli and Chocolate mousse cake

G'night

Tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

Since you have a connection in the Philadelphia part of the state, you are no doubt aware that your home:

its a real live log cabin ....just like the one on either side and down around the block

gallery_23695_426_509071.jpg

:cool:

and boy does it need paint next summer

really belongs in Medford Lakes, a pretty, historic little Burlington County community that has over 150 of 'em.

Back to North Jersey for a minute, though: How far is your community from the little piece of New England that's tucked away in the state's northwest corner? I got a glimpse of it driving up I-287 once -- the last stretch of the highway to be completed in New Jersey passes right through this very charming part of (I think) Sussex County -- which is also the only one of New Jersey's 21 counties that is not part of a metropolitan area; all the others are part of either the larger New York or larger Philadelphia conurbations.

Once I have secured my croissants I can move on to the more mundane things like ummm Purple broccoli?

gallery_23695_426_246752.jpg

gallery_23695_426_1317368.jpg

gallery_23695_426_207496.jpg

this is some of my veggie haul today

gallery_23695_426_353663.jpg

Your veggie haul looks wonderful! Are those yellow heads below the purple broccoli broccoli or cauliflower?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Just a quick link to my best friends/daughter's godfather(s) newspaper.

They started printing this summer the new Burlington Gazette in Burlington City NJ just across the river from Philly. If anyone wants to advertise....

http://burlingtongazette.net/archive.html

T

Not a potential advertiser but a curious reader. Thanks for the link; I downloaded the first issue.

There is a certain self-conscious historicism about the paper (which the publisher admits to right on Page 1 of Vol. 1, No. 1). The tone and style of the articles also recall an earlier era in American journalism, even if the plentiful color photos do not.

I'm gonna try that gazpacho recipe on the paper's Food page next summer when my co-worker's garden starts producing tomatoes by the ton. Looks a good bit more interesting than the one I tried this summer.

I wish you best friend's daughter's godfather's newspaper success. Every community should have a local chronicle of goings-on.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Sandy West Milford is in Passaic County but I dont know why. It is a very odd shaped county as you can see here

http://www.passaiccountynj.org/Municipalities.htm

Below Wayne are all very densely populated towns and small cities

the residents probabley dont even know we exist.

NJ seems very compartmentalized every small region has what they need right there, like growing up in Northern Bergan County we were 15-30 min from everything we could want except the Shore. We had the best Malls for the day in Paramus, upstate NY meant Harriman State Park, and NYC was 22 miles away. Even towns in Southern Bergan Couty were a mystery to me and really still are.

I am rambling now

Rt 287 runs through Bloomingdale and Wanaque and ends at the NYS Thruway.

I think that was cauliflower

Todays official ride has been canceled via e-mail we are heading down to the meeting place to see if anyone else shows anyway

T

Maxine

My Webpage

The other must have of the morning...

gallery_23695_426_743356.jpg

Tracey

Great shot of pickles! I buy mine from the market here in Tallinn, too, but the choice is somewhat different. The basic recipe is the same (give or take the addition of garlic maybe), but you can choose between 1-day pickles, 2-day pickles, 3-day pickles, or really sour ones (anything longer). My favourites are the 1-day ones :)

Since I have a habit of leaving the camera turned on after transfering pictures it was dead at dinner last night but we have a shot of the large portion of leftover sinfully fluffy gnocchi with braised beef and tomatoes

gallery_23695_426_369707.jpg

and Karls dessert the cannoli which they thoughtfully anchored to the tin with an extra dab of filling

gallery_23695_426_404415.jpg

my chocolate mousse cake didnt look very impressive in the tin but when I tried to lift it out I found out how light and creamy it was...had to spoon it out in blobs

:laugh:

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Earlier in the week Snowangel asked how much "trunk" space we have for trips on the bike, well not much

gallery_23695_426_378156.jpg

Karl's nylon duffle bag and the laptop go in the trunk

gallery_23695_426_24917.jpg

I get the right hand side case which has a custom carry bag inside.

The left case has rain jackets, tools, polish, and the Gold Wing Road Riders Association Gold Book which lists the name and phone number of every member world wide that would be willing to help your ass when stuck, lost, or lonely.

We have gone on 8 day trips cross country packing that lightly, next trip to Europe I must think like that. :wacko: unlike dragging huge bags through Paris because someone said its easy to take the train out to the airport...John

We took a short cruise through Sussex County this morning after a pancake breakfast at the diner.

Big steak dinner later

Maxine

My Webpage

Earlier in the week Snowangel asked how much "trunk" space we have for trips on the bike, well not much

gallery_23695_426_378156.jpg

Karl's nylon duffle bag and the laptop go in the trunk

Tell us more about your bike trips. How long are the trips? How do you pack and prep for them? How do you eat on the road? Are most of your trips simply road trips, or do you have "get to and stay at" destinations? Where does the old-fashioned "Sunday Drive" figure in? We do these often as a family in the fall, winter and spring, and the destination can be as simple as an ice cream cone!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"