• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Rooftop1000

rooftop1000

Just one of the super cute buildings in downtown Ridgewood

gallery_23695_426_230757.jpg

When we stepped out of the subway station in Munich last winter it was like being in Ridgewood all grown up as a city :smile:

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

gallery_23695_426_20092.jpg

Welcome to Gazelle owned by one of my old managers, I snuck in before opening so we could chat and get some pictures

http://www.ardore.com/listing.asp?r=gazell...&m=c&u=all&df=1

first a quick run to the...yes thats the beautifully decorated rest room

gallery_23695_426_233042.jpg

then a litttle pan around

gallery_23695_426_91667.jpg

gallery_23695_426_104113.jpg

gallery_23695_426_649240.jpg

the specials board of "healthy choice New American"

gallery_23695_426_57846.jpg

and my lunch chosen by the boss Grilled Salmon, Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato on Eli's brioche with chipotle mayo on the side

gallery_23695_426_149042.jpg

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

gallery_23695_426_136699.jpg

served with coleslaw from the deli and dried corn pudding

yeah it was as good as it looks

And if you're looking to make your own corn pudding, of course you have to get some dried corn ! That corn pudding and pork sure looks yummy!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

For a little more background on the teaser picture that got guessed so fast, that was the George Washington Bridge heading into NYC, yes I am right handed and the event was the Twin Towers Ride for the Wounded Warrior project, we picked up a T-shirt for my brother in law who was in Iraq at the time (he is home)

We joined 1500 of our closest friends, well we knew at least 15 of them, as the state and local police closed Rt 80, the GWB and the Henry Hudson Parkway for us to ride past the World Trade Center site then through the Holland Tunnel to Liberty State Park in Jersey City

http://www.firefightingnews.com/article-US...articleID=30342

gallery_23695_426_1373753.jpg

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Oh no - another NJ blogger. After suzilightning's blog, I've started making 1/2 hr detours this week on the way home to hit Schwinds and the Apple Tree. Something tells me my detours next week will be even longer! :laugh:

Still waiting to get to some of the wonderful places talked about on the NJ thread, especially Balthazar. Since I live so far out in the country, I drool over some of the places available to those in the northeastern part of the state. Can't wait to see the food places that you will visit this week.

For a little more background on the teaser picture that got guessed so fast, that was the George Washington Bridge heading into NYC, yes I am right handed and the event was the Twin Towers Ride for the Wounded Warrior project, we picked up a T-shirt for my brother in law who was in Iraq at the time (he is home)

We joined 1500 of our closest friends, well we knew at least 15 of them, as the state and local police closed Rt 80, the GWB and the Henry Hudson Parkway for us to ride past the World Trade Center site then through the Holland Tunnel to Liberty State Park in Jersey City

http://www.firefightingnews.com/article-US...articleID=30342

gallery_23695_426_1373753.jpg

T

Now that's mass transit! :biggrin: And for a good cause to boot.

Now I realize I missed a little of your own background. You work in...the restaurant industry? Public safety? Homeland security? Something else altogether?

I trust you have a Hog. You being such a respecter of pork and all. :smile:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I trust you have a Hog.  You being such a respecter of pork and all.  :smile:

:laugh: I wish I'd thought of that line! :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

While my butt may be from a hog - My but goes on a Honda Valkyrie. Most of our club rides Honda Goldwings, but the Valkyrie is just a touch more interesting looking and sounds a bit different with its flathead 6 cylindar engine, like a porsche.

I think the laptop had all the really good pictures of it but we had to "restore" that last week, I'll take a new one later

I just worked up my nerve to call work and see if the other dept wants me back as a temp, of course got voicemail :unsure:

here is a bite of dinner from last night

season and floured chicken breast and garlic seared in olive oil doused in white wine and chicken base. Thickened slighty with a slurry served with rice (1/4 short grain 3/4 basmati) and broccoli.

My husband didnt like the short grain sticky rice and I am so sick of the fluffy long grain this mix is working out well for us

gallery_23695_426_266641.jpg

off to The City, as if there is any other....NYC

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Sandy

I have been a trailer chick for the past 16 months....I just might explain that later

:cool:

Maxine

My Webpage

I'm pretty excited for this blog - my Mom used to take me clothes shopping at some adorable place in Ridegwood for dresses; wish I could remember its name. And I spent some of my formative years in Passaic county! Blog on!

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I'm pretty excited for this blog - my Mom used to take me clothes shopping at some adorable place in Ridegwood for dresses; wish I could remember its name.  And I spent some of my formative years in Passaic county!  Blog on!

Gini

that would have been Sealfon's ....2 story brick bulding on Ridgewood Ave

its a furniture store now :hmmm:

Maxine

My Webpage

Are there places at which you eat only when you are out on the bike?

There are some places we go every year, sometimes more than once especially

Kundlas Western Beef in Hamlin PA

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...8654&hl=kundlas

Hog Hollow in Philipsburg NJ

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=90492

and not to be missed

Barnstormer BBQ....they have a thread in here too

http://barnstormerbbq.com/

this year we also tried their other resataurant...Pineaplles Steakhouse MMmm going back there soon

We also find all sorts of Divey little road houses and diners wherever we go

Sometimes the trick is to make a 40 mile trip take all day by going frontways sideway and sometimes in circles.

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

Ahhh today was a AAA day

I picked up my M-I-L and we headed for the NY Waterway Ferry to go to umm NY.

gallery_23695_426_708008.jpg

Once we decided between Grand Central Station and Union Square we jumped on the free shuttle bus which dropped us 4 blocks from Union Square we had a nice stroll around the market and got some scones and drinks and sat for a while in the park.

We headed across the street for a tour of the big Whole Foods and then wandered aimlessly downtown hitting up some antique stores.

After a while we went around the block back to the market and picked up a few veggies and some lavendar.

gallery_23695_426_136537.jpg

A walk back out to 7th Ave and caught the shuttle back to the ferry. A nice ride across the river and then....the car, the card, the call, the tow truck, all the while edging towards 5 pm. At 4:50 we are hooked up and heading home in the middle of rush hour tucked 3 across in the cab of the towtruck. Hubby picked us up and we took mom home. I then proceeded to shovel a Knockwurst and half a Bratwurst down my gullet. Both purchaed Saturday at the Vincentown Farmers Market from the Amish deli counter.

gallery_23695_426_62715.jpg

oh yeah AAA (triple A) is the Auto Club for towing

Tracey has a headache

Maxine

My Webpage

I'm doing a cut and paste right our of the NJ board for a new store I stopped at in Oakland on Tuesday. The store is ZEYTINIA fine food marketplace. With store in Wilton CT, Croton-on-Hudson NY and Atlantic City NJ

Its very very strange, nice but strange and I dont think they will last but...

Some nice produce and prices not off the charts but I noticed some spoilage

Great looking bakery all sorts of fancy minis and fruit tarts but the kind of stuff that might look better than it tastes. Also noted some spoilage here, actually called over a manager type washing up behind the bakery and had him pull a moldy plum tart from the case. He was funny as hell stammering about freshness and running around with the tart in his palm. I told him to make sure the staff come around the front and LOOK at what the customer sees.

They actualy have more brands of butter than Whole Foods, of course not the one I want and they are aging their own beef, I may stop back for a big fat steak later in the week.

I picked up Bonn Maman preserves 2 for $5.00 Labeled "Bone Maman" on the sign....and a nice Sherry Vin for $7.99

T

Maxine

My Webpage

So time for a little about me, I started in food service at 14 flipping eggs at a luncheonette counter in a place called The Chocolate Shop for $2.00 an hour. After moving through the Chinese take-out place as a phone girl, the local pizzaria and Burger King I had a few office jobs and took culinary classes at the community college.

I started working in delis and stayed doing that for a long time with some stints at corporate dining, and spent 8 years at a high end caterer/gourmet shop doing pretty much anything needed plus gift baskets. High point here was selling people with too much money things they didnt know how to use because they couldnt cook. That store was closed when the property became too valuable to hold on to.

A little more coprorate feeding and another deli and I soon felt like I was going to become the old lady at the deli.

I started temping at a large medical device manufacturer and was hired to be the secretary for and on site construction team building, oddly enough a new cafeteria. Hence I became the trailer chick spending my days in a singlewide construction trailer swirling with dust and running the workers through the safety program. I did some filing, typing and fetching and spent most of the day on Egullet. Whatever department was paying my salary decided last week they didnt want to anymore, So here I sit with an offer to go back and temp in another departmen next month if I want...prababley will since I have gotten way too lazy to heave ham and turkey on a slicer all day anymore, nor do I want the retail hours offered by another kind egulleter.

and this would be a basic construction trailer

gallery_23695_426_351793.jpg

T

Maxine

My Webpage

I took a careful look at the BIG bike gathering, and did not see any/many helmets---is there a helmet law in NJ?

That was only AFTER you mentioned picking up MIL for a AAA day---which I took to mean "Best of the Best" (until the mention of towtruck).

I just had this lovely vision of you two ladies, hair streaming in the soft breeze, whirring you way across bridges and open roads, on the way to see wonderful sights and buy good things. Rumblesisters :wub:

And your Girl-Booze---I have a little collection like that, of my own SISSY stuff nobody else will drink. Pale sherry, Tawny Port, Amaretto---the kids have always teased me for my Kool-Aid choices in liquor. Just a teensy sip in a tiny goblet---that's plenty for me. Four sips and I can't find the kitchen.

And the BUTT---just gorgeously, scrumptiously, evilly perfect!!! Tell me you ate your sandwich slaw-on.

I'm off....chunks of pork belly in the crockpot ...and the child has granted me a 50 min window to have lunch with her at school....

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Tracey,

1) Pork roll is da bomb! We didn't eat out much when I was a kid. Mom would fry it up at home and serve it with an egg on an english muffin. Mmm, I want one.

2) My favorite thing about AAA was the free maps. Pulling into random AAA offices in random cities and picking up maps for the next leg of the road trip. Way before WiFi and Internet directions. Good times.

3) I have temped all over the country and I have to say, temping in New Jersey was incredibly enjoyable. Even though there were weeks of boredom here and there, the variety was impressive! So many different corners hiding so many different industries. I hope that your work is steady enough to keep you on the road but still varying, from time to time, so that you don't forget you're a temp. Ruts are bad!

Thanks for the nice blog. You have made me quite homesick and reminded me that I still wish the state slogan was "New Jersey: It's All About the Back Roads".

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Gee your butt looks terrific. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. :laugh:

Actually I have a pork butt in the fridge right now. I think I'm going to cook it in the crock pot. Eric is working this weekend and I'm not smoking that baby without supervision. So I'll rub it and pat it and mark it with a B and put it in the crock pot for baby and me.

Glad to read your blog Tracey! How was lunch with the child? Did she cook you ramen?

The girls ..all 4 of them have only been moved in a few days so a few kitchen shots wont scare anyone

gallery_23695_426_82463.jpg

from the dining area over the bar into the kitchen

gallery_23695_426_425817.jpg

2 shelves in huge pantry Jess' is the lower one

gallery_23695_426_225634.jpg

I think the top shelf is hers... tofu and hot sauce?

gallery_23695_426_382030.jpg

I believe the bowl is rice and beans, TV dinners are a room mates

We went to the "good " dining hall and had the grill special of meatball heros with salad. She told the chef that I was there to try cafeteria food and he told us this was the real food. It was fine

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Congrats on taking your AAA day in stride. There's something about blogs that invites technical malfunctions (I think it's called Murphy's Law).

This is all giving me a severe metro NY nostalgia attack. :biggrin: Though I must confess I have no memory of ever eating pork roll growing up. Maybe it didn't make it over to Rockland County . . . ?

Oh no -  another NJ blogger.  After suzilightning's blog, I've started making 1/2 hr detours this week on the way home to hit Schwinds and the Apple Tree.  Something tells me my detours next week will be even longer!  :laugh:

Still waiting to get to some of the wonderful places talked about on the NJ thread, especially Balthazar.  Since I live so far out in the country, I drool over some of the places available to those in the northeastern part of the state.  Can't wait to see the food places that you will visit this week.

I happen to know that one of the places in northern NJ (not so far east, just north)that Tracey has been frequenting is Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove, right around the corner from another favorite haunt of hers (and her friends, as you'll see in the pics-about 2/3 of the way down the page), Amazing Hot Dog in Verona. So make all the detours you want to our part of the world--just come hungry!

How long are you blogging, Tracey? There aren't enough hours in the week for us to pitch in and lend a hand... :laugh: And I'm assuming that AAA was there for THE truck? Ooooof.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Rockland County is where I first had Taylor Ham, Ellen. Wesley Hills. Then Pearl River. Then Suffern. Then Hie! Up to Greenwood Lake where Taylor Ham was not quite as popular or available. :smile:

I wonder who the Bagel Bites belong to in the freezer. Those things are the bane of my existence, as my daughter appears to be addicted and I have no idea where she ever heard of them in the first place. :huh: