• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

becoming a pastry chef?

Mirandar

I've been struggling with the idea of culinary school for a while, and thought that I'd decided against it but am now having thoughts again. . . I know that I want to continue to make my living by making delicious sweet things for people, however I don't know if pastry school is truly a necessity. I'd love to know people's opinions. I've been mostly discouraged from going when I talk to the culinary school graduates that I know personally, but I'm thinking I should maybe gather a wider range of thoughts. thanks so much!

I've been struggling with the idea of culinary school for a while, and thought that I'd decided against it but am now having thoughts again. . . I know that I want to continue to make my living by making delicious sweet things for people, however I don't know if pastry school is truly a necessity. I'd love to know people's opinions. I've been mostly discouraged from going when I talk to the culinary school graduates that I know personally, but I'm thinking I should maybe gather a wider range of thoughts. thanks so much!

In my opinion, if you are already making your living providing the type of product you love, then continue to do that. I, personally am starting culinary school after 11 years in the business. I am doing it so that I can shore up any holes in my learning process, and, yes, to have the "piece of paper" that says I cook well.

Ask yourself the following:

Will going to pastry school improve the product I make?

Will pastry school advance my career?

When I come out, will I be doing anything differently?

And finally, if you answered yes to the other questions:

Is it worth the money?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I think that culinary school in general will provide coverage of basic and classic techniques, help with your organizational skills and improve your sanitation awareness. Like anything, you will get what you put into it. I wanted a culinary degree and feel that the investment of time and money continues to pay off. Good luck whatever you decide.

Well, I read through all those other forums and so on, and the most attractive option (big surprise) is the idea of travel and self-teaching. Since I have already kind of embarked on the getting an apprentice-ship path, I think I would be happiest if I continue on the less structured approach. Save up, travel to Spain, France, Italy (more suggestions?) and taste and see and smell and absorb all that people are doing. Thank you everyone! I feel lucky to have such a lovely resource.