• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Cherries

rooftop1000

Someone on another thread just mentioned Wild Cherries, I always called them Crab Cherries growing up and currently I have a tree. As a kid I tasted them and they are very bitter or tannic. Since they are ripening right now is there anything that can be done with them food wise?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Nope, they're cherries. They're small and tannic but they make an excellent jelly. My ex mother-in-law used to make wild cherry jelly and it was awesome. She also made fig and strawberry jam, wild blackberry jelly and wild muscadine jelly. Now that I think about it, I don't miss my ex wife at all but I kinda miss my mother-in-law... or her cooking anyway. I can't get most of those things where I live now. I used to make a jelly from kudzu flowers as well, it tastes like a grape lollipop.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.