• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexpensive, but not Cheap, Cookware

mizducky

Terra,

I would normally agree with Sam's advice concerning sets of cookware, but....

Sear has an eight piece set of fully clad cookware on sale for $99, that is half price.  There are no pans that will not be used on a regular basis.  Here are the vital statistics:

Sears Kenmore 8 pc. Tri-Ply Cookware Set:

....Fully clad 18/8 Stainless pans that are induction ready

....Beefy 18/10 handles and thick 18/10 lids

....2.5mm thick, the same as All-Clad Stainless

....REAL POURING LIPS

....Capacity marking inside of each pan

....The sauce pans and stock pot all nest

The sizes are as follow:

----1 1.2 qt sauce pan and cover    6 1/4" diameter

----2 1/2 qt saucepan and cover      7" diameter

----3 qt. saute with cover                9 1/2" diameter

----6 qt. stock pot with cover          9 3/4" diameter

Supplement this with a skillet and you have a nice set.

Tim

They look good. I would grab them before the sale is over. If not happy "your satisfaction is guaranteed."

Again, the wonder of eGullet.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

The Kirkland Signature anodized 14 piece set got a Best Buy rating from Consumer Reports, as well as high marks at ePinions.com, FWIW. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have been tempted many times by this set of caphalon anodized cookware. I'm not getting it for myself because I don't need most of the pieces, but for someone starting from scratch I think it's a really good deal. I like the calphalon pieces that I have, and I find them very versatile. I have been disappointed in the cuisinart pieces that I have bought.

I only have one piece (I think, but possibly 2), but the whereas the bottom is clad, the sides are very thin. I've found this with many of the cheaper pieces that I've bought over the years. I like the calphalon because the sides are almost as thick as the bottoms, so the heat is much more even.