• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexpensive, but not Cheap, Cookware

mizducky

As my next step in settling into my new nest, I'm looking to replace some of my rather bedraggled cookware, and to get a smaller, lighter-weight set of dishes for my new lighter-weight dining style. :smile: And getting someone else to shlep the stuff to my doorstep for me would also be nice.

So--I'm seeking recommendations of good cheap-but-reliable internet stores for these things. It would be nice if I could get everything from one website so I can take advantage of any deals on shipping etc. I also wouldn't mind if the stuff looks really cool, but I'm most interested in good price/performance values. Let 'er rip, folks!

Mizducky, it may help us to help you if you can narrow this down a little.

What pieces of cookware are you looking for? Type of construction? Do you have a price range?

Tableware: how do you mean "lighter". Can you be a little more specific about what style and material you are looking for? Price range?

Though not nearly as kitchen-y, one of my favorites for cheap plates and platters is the Crate and Barrel outlet - especially good for seasonal stuff that you can't bring yourself to pay full price for, and also for serving stuff.

The actual kitchen stuff is eh - but the napkins and table settings are good buys!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Amazon has the occasional amazing deal and often you can get free shipping and some bundled extras. BigTray definitely. Also, check out A. Best Kitchen -- excellent stainless stock pot bargains www.abestkitchen.com

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Look no further than Big Tray.

Those prices are fabulous. However, unless I'm totally missing it, I'm not seeing any dishware that comes any fewer than a dozen to a package, and I don't have either the need or the storage for that many settings (see below).

What pieces of cookware are you looking for? Type of construction? Do you have a price range?

Tableware: how do you mean "lighter". Can you be a little more specific about what style and material you are looking for? Price range?

First off--I'm just looking for super-basics, and just for myself. And I don't have a lot of storage space either. I've already got some more specialized cookware pieces that I'm happy with (i.e. pressure cooker, wok). And I've got a basic 4-setting flatware set that I'm satisfied with. But my other basics are crap--I should have just thrown them in the trash rather than expending energy moving them. It might help to think of my kitchen-equippage position as similar to someone starting their very first household.

As to the "lightness" comment: because of my arthritis, hefting hugely heavy stuff is a challenge. So, as much as I love stoneware tableware, I'd rather go with lighter stuff. And no, I'm not too proud to use Corelle or melamine or their ilk--in fact, I could get a lot of laugh-miles out of a really tacky pattern in same (although I'd also be tickled to see some that looked genuinely attractive).

Similarly, as much as I love cast iron cookware, I think for my everyday basics I'd prefer something that won't throw my back out to lift. So, even if there's a Le Creuset dutch oven on super-humongo-closeout, it probably wouldn't be practical for me, at least not at this point.

So: for cookware, right now I'm looking for just your basic everyday saucepan, saute pan, big skillet, and generic large pot, all with appropriate lids. I can pick up one-offs of other pieces later as needed. I am aware that most starter cookware "sets" can suck, but if I could find a good one at a bargain price I would take it. Oh, and I really want pieces that can go in the oven as well as on the stovetop.

As for dinnerware: so far, this set is the cheapest stuff I've found on the net. Can anyone beat it?

Look no further than Big Tray.

Those prices are fabulous. However, unless I'm totally missing it, I'm not seeing any dishware that comes any fewer than a dozen to a package, and I don't have either the need or the storage for that many settings (see below).

First off--I'm just looking for super-basics, and just for myself. And I don't have a lot of storage space either. I've already got some more specialized cookware pieces that I'm happy with (i.e. pressure cooker, wok). And I've got a basic 4-setting flatware set that I'm satisfied with. But my other basics are crap--I should have just thrown them in the trash rather than expending energy moving them. It might help to think of my kitchen-equippage position as similar to someone starting their very first household.

As to the "lightness" comment: because of my arthritis, hefting hugely heavy stuff is a challenge. So, as much as I love stoneware tableware, I'd rather go with lighter stuff. And no, I'm not too proud to use Corelle or melamine or their ilk--in fact, I could get a lot of laugh-miles out of a really tacky pattern in same (although I'd also be tickled to see some that looked genuinely attractive).

Similarly, as much as I love cast iron cookware, I think for my everyday basics I'd prefer something that won't throw my back out to lift. So, even if there's a Le Creuset dutch oven on super-humongo-closeout, it probably wouldn't be practical for me, at least not at this point.

So: for cookware, right now I'm looking for just your basic everyday saucepan, saute pan, big skillet, and generic large pot, all with appropriate lids. I can pick up one-offs of other pieces later as needed. I am aware that most starter cookware "sets" can suck, but if I could find a good one at a bargain price I would take it. Oh, and I really want pieces that can go in the oven as well as on the stovetop.

As for dinnerware: so far, this set is the cheapest stuff I've found on the net. Can anyone beat it?

I think that the Corelle you have found in all white is a smart choice for you. It is attractive, durable and light-weight. I doubt there is a better deal.

I suggest you checkout ChefMate cookware at Target for the pieces of cookware you are looking for. It is well priced, and you have fry pans, sauce pans in three or four sizes top choose from, as well as a starter set. Tri-ply or aluminum disk bottom. Similarly, Sam's carries restaurant quality Tamontina fry pans at good prices.

I was just going to mention Corelle. And, I didn't mess around with the sets, because I wanted to choose the pieces I wanted -- this is one dish that is readily available open-stock. I think I got mine at K-mart. One of the things I did get, in addition to dinner platess and bowls were the luncheon plates. Bigger than a bread plate, smaller than a dinner plate. Perfect for sandwiches and salads.

This place has open stock, but I know that the prices at my local K-Mart are better.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'll third the Corelle in white, which is what I have. You can add to this easily as it's always available in open stock and you don't worry about patterns as Snowangel indicates. I have the sandwhich plates she talks about which are awesome. I also have serving platters, serving bowls in various sizes, and dipping bowls as well as soup bowls and pasta bowls. I also have gravy boats to match. All can be picked up for decent pricess at outlet stores, Target etc piece by piece as you want them

And these things are indestructible as well!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am with Marlene and snowangel - simple white Corelle. And I believe when you are ready to add some variety to it, they are now making square plates. I have been on the lookout for these in local stores but no luck so far.

Corelle is not only light weight but very thin so that when stacked they take up much less room than stoneware or most chinaware.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think I've seen Corelle on Overstock.com?

I have one bowl I got at either Wal-Mart or Target and it is a light beige color. I use it all the time for serving rice or veggies!

Another place I used to get odds-n-ends pieces from is Pier 1 Imports. Generally plain white stuff. They always run sales.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I am with Marlene and snowangel - simple white Corelle.  And I believe when you are ready to add some variety to it, they are now making square plates.  I have been on the lookout for these in local stores but no luck so far.

Corelle is not only light weight but very thin so that when stacked they take up much less room than stoneware or most chinaware.

Here's some of the square Corelle, although it's not plain white Corelle

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 1 year later...

I have a friend who doesn't really enjoy cooking very much, but cooks for her family. She'd like to get a nice set of pots and pans that will do a good job, nothing fancy, and not over around $200 for the set. I think the Costco Kirkland Stainless would be a good set for her at about $229, but I wonder how good it is. Or whether Costco has a hard anodized aluminum set that might be better for her.

She's been using the same set of cheap cookware for 20 years, so I'm hoping to steer her to something that would work well for a long time. All Clad or anything in that price range would be too expensive and she really doesn't need it.

Any ideas?

We bought the Emeril line that All-Clad makes (in spite of, but not because of the Emeril name). You can get a set for under $200.

We've had them a few years now, and I'm happy with them. Eventually, piece by piece, I'll probably replace them with All-Clad pieces from their main line, but for now, these are doing nicely.

Since we don't have a Costco nearby, I don't know how this set would compare to the one you're considering.

I have a few pieces of Emerilware that I picked up at a yard sale, but I don't have any opinion on it, really.

My friend looked at a Cuisinart set in her small Wyoming town, but I asked her not to buy anything at the discount sports/household/jewelry store until I could help her compare prices. It seemed overpriced. I think I have a Cuisinart skillet, but I don't know how they are rated, either. I bought a lot of kitchenware this summer at yard sales and haven't had it long enough to know what I think.

I got a Costco set of pots and pans about 6 years ago, and finally got rid of the rest of it and replaced with a few pieces of stainless All-Clad about two years ago. This was the nonstick set from Costco, and I was getting rid of it anyway after deciding I just didn't want to cook on nonstick anymore. But besides that, the stuff I used the most was starting to warp and lose its coating. I don't really think I'd recommend Costco's stainless set after some of my pans started to warp, but I haven't looked at them recently either. That Emeril set mentioned above seems like it would be better quality for a similar price.

Cookware sets are almost always a bad idea because, while they may look like a great deal ("look how many pans I get!"), inevitably several of the pans are rarely if ever used. When you figure out the cost of the pans that are actually used, the deal suddenly doesn't look so great. Rather, I'd advise your friend to take a look at the two pans she uses the most and which she constantly finds herself wishing she had better (or bigger, or different design or whatever), spend the whole 200 bucks getting really good versions of those two pans and make do with the crapware for the other stuff. The fact is that you don't need a nice pan to boil water for pasta or steam vegetables, etc. If, a year down the road, she finds that she's still using one of the crapware pans a lot and constantly wishing for better, then that would be a good time to replace that one pan with something better. And so on, and so on, and so on.

--

Cookware sets are almost always a bad idea because, while they may look like a great deal ("look how many pans I get!"), inevitably several of the pans are rarely if ever used.  When you figure out the cost of the pans that are actually used, the deal suddenly doesn't look so great.  Rather, I'd advise your friend to take a look at the two pans she uses the most and which she constantly finds herself wishing she had better (or bigger, or different design or whatever), spend the whole 200 bucks getting really good versions of those two pans and make do with the crapware for the other stuff.  The fact is that you don't need a nice pan to boil water for pasta or steam vegetables, etc.  If, a year down the road, she finds that she's still using one of the crapware pans a lot and constantly wishing for better, then that would be a good time to replace that one pan with something better.  And so on, and so on, and so on.

Good advice, Sam. Another thing they do with cookware sets is advertise something like a 9-piece set - of course, 4 of the pieces are lids! Not really the best way to spend your money.

If your friend is set on having a few more than two pans, another idea might be a number of pieces of moderately priced Lincoln Wear-Ever (used in lots of pro kitchens). Have a look at some of them here. Not the prettiest stuff, but quite well made.

Here's another site for comparison - Big-Tray.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I saw a 21 piece stainless steel set at a Sam's Club. I looked at them and they look to be well made. NSF certified Here is the link

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate....t=5&item=329981

As I remember priced under $200.00

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Terra,

I would normally agree with Sam's advice concerning sets of cookware, but....

Sear has an eight piece set of fully clad cookware on sale for $99, that is half price. There are no pans that will not be used on a regular basis. Here are the vital statistics:

Sears Kenmore 8 pc. Tri-Ply Cookware Set:

....Fully clad 18/8 Stainless pans that are induction ready

....Beefy 18/10 handles and thick 18/10 lids

....2.5mm thick, the same as All-Clad Stainless

....REAL POURING LIPS

....Capacity marking inside of each pan

....The sauce pans and stock pot all nest

The sizes are as follow:

----1 1.2 qt sauce pan and cover 6 1/4" diameter

----2 1/2 qt saucepan and cover 7" diameter

----3 qt. saute with cover 9 1/2" diameter

----6 qt. stock pot with cover 9 3/4" diameter

Supplement this with a skillet and you have a nice set.

Tim