• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montgomery County Restaurants

percyn

That stinks. I stopped working out that way last October, but the owner was a good guy.

In other news, I now work in another section of Montco and am now on the hunt for a good roast pork sandwich along the 202/73 corridor. There's a deli called Gianni's in the shopping center across the street from PJ Whelihan's that makes a pretty good sandwich, but I have an issue with their rolls. Their roast pork and hoagies come on a weird ciabatta-like roll. Not the best vehicle in my opinion.

So does anybody have anything, not just roast pork, to add about the Blue Bell area?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Ok so here are some observations on recent lunches that I've had...

Avoid Sushikazu at the intersection of 202 and 73 like the plague. Just went there, was the only person in the place, and received lukewarm miso soup and a leathery piece of snapper nigiri. The other pieces that came with my 5 pc. sushi lunch were good, escpeically the piece of salmon, but they were cut ridiculously large. Roughly around the size of my index and middle fingers together, and I have big hands. That, in my opinion, is way too big for a piece of nigiri. There was no way to get the whole thing in your mouth in one bite. I won't be heading back there.

Charlie's Pizza was pretty good, nothing earth-shattering. Really old-school kind of place.

Thai Pho Nam wasn't too bad. Same thing with Thai Orchid. Neither place really wow'd me but they were both serviceable.

Gianni's like I said earlier, good quality, strange rolls.

Minado was ok, tons of variety, but something about a sushi buffet rubs me the wrong way. There are a team of guys constantly making and putting out fresh sushi, which is somewhat reassuring, however unless you are in front of the guy as he's putting it out, you don't exactly know how long something has been sitting.

I guess if I have a sushi craving I'll have to hit Bluefin for a roll, even though I think Bluefin is wildly overrated.

I'm a fan of Panera so I'm glad that's around. As it stands now I think it's one of the better lunch spots around. But there's GOT to be better around, right?

Homer Simpson

The Satchmo's folks appear to have set up in the kitchen of a bar called "The Office" just a little north of Collegeville, on rt 29. Haven't had a chance to try the food there, but I'm happy to see that they're still cooking the New Orleans style stuff somewhere. At a bar actually sounds pretty good...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Found a very decent roast pork sandwich at Pudge's, which is on 202 in the same shopping center as Pho Thai Nam. It could've been much better, with the pork sliced a little bit thinner and maybe some more jus, but it came on a fresh Conshohocken Bakery roll and the long hots packed adequate heat. The sharp provolone was also good. The gentleman next to me had a cheesesteak that was roughly the size of my forearm, and I'm about 6'1. You certainly won't leave this place hungry.

Edited by Tim Dolan (log)

Homer Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

Try To Dam Gol for lunch

Very good authentic Korean hot pots, soups and very nice people.

They are in a little strip mall on Township Line Road right before it intersects with 202 (driving on township line road from Plymouth Meeting)

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up some very nice sushi for lunch today from the glorious, brand-spanking new Whole Foods at the Plymouth Meeting Mall. It was good and convenient enough to the point that I'd rather grab take-out sushi from there than go to Bluefin.

Yeah I said it.

Homer Simpson

I agree with you that the wf sushi is convenient but the fish has that frozen texture and it is bland and the rice is way over vinegared and way over cooked. It's comparing apples and oranges. Bf's sushi is universes better. For pre-prepared sushi, the stand at the Flourtown Farmers market and the stand at the Chestnut Hill Farmer's market kicks wf's tushie. Perfect rice, fish that is firm and not mush. No overwhelming vinegar flavor.

Red Tomato-downtown Souderton of all places- really nice Italian deli w/ eat in tables and amazing authentic gelati-not Capogiro, but close enough. Be sure to try the "family secret" iced espresso-unique granita like espresso shot.

Just down the road from an excellent reasonable southern Italian joint named Caruso's-the owners are cousins.

• 1 month later...

Happened to see a sign for Evolution Burger, to open in the same shopping center as Wegman's in Collegeville some time this fall - never been there but have heard the hype.

http://www.elevationburger.com/EB.php "Elevation Burger is a quick and casual restaurant offering 100% organic, grass-fed, free range beef burgers."

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

• 4 months later...

Finally found a good roast pork sandwich in the burbs! It's a place called the Sessano Cafe in Norristown, in the dingy shopping center on Swede Rd. and Johnson highway, close to the PA driver's license center. Soft, chewy roll, tender, juicy pork, funky, sharp provolone, spicy long hots! It seem so simple, but it never really is. The roast pork here is better than any other that I've had in the suburbs, better than Pudge's, better than the Italian bakery place (I forget the name) far up Germantown Pike. Stop by after your next dreaded trip to the DMV. It'll be worth it!

Homer Simpson

I stopped by the Dosa Hut on Ridge Pk, and enjoyed a great dosa for lunch today... And noticed that they've upgraded the formerly shabby interior quite a bit since I'd last stopped in. It's a very nice space now, and the food continues to be really tasty.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch