• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montgomery County Restaurants

percyn

We went with friends to Mama Velis's for dinner last night. The place was packed, mostly with families with screaming kids and adults that don't know the power of their own lungs.

Is this the place in Royersford or Limerick across from the Target?

BTW, the Bombay Kitchen mentioned upthread is now closed. :sad: *sob*

• 2 months later...

We decided to give Mama Velia's another try last night and had a totally different experience. The noise level had receded, the service was excellent, and so was the food.

My wife had tilapia and shrimp with some veggies and I tried a veal dish with spinach, mushrooms, and tomato that was very nice.

The best part was that weds night there is an accordion player playing all the italian songs. Wonderful! $60 including tip. Oh! did I mention its BYOB

Best,

MIke

• 1 month later...
Having heard a lot about Bluefin in Plymouth Meeting, I decided to try this place out for lunch.

I should mention that I don't usually order this much sushi for lunch, but given that I was going "research" and the fact that I rarely get long lunches, here is what I ordered....

Salmon and Spicy Tuna Sushi Lunch Combo - Salmon was very fresh and the spicy tuna was decent.

gallery_21049_162_21273.jpg

Uni - I had heard good things about their Uni, so I ordered some. Quite fresh and delicious...you could taste the essence of the ocean, the true mark of fresh Uni. This only ranked second to the Uni I had at Okada at the Wynn in Las Vegas and compared to Uni I had in Japan.

gallery_21049_162_24888.jpg

That was all I planned to order, but in the name of "research", I lay upon the sword  :wink:

Sashimi - White Tuna and Toro - The white tuna was magnificent and one of the most succulent pieces I have had. The toro on the other hand was a bit of a let down. They said it was Chutoro (belly area from the side) and even though I did not expect as much fat as in Otoro, it seemed a tad too lean.

gallery_21049_162_11445.jpg

Special roll - 1/2 baked roll - Spicy Tuna, whitefish (bass), asparagus rolled then tempura fried.

gallery_21049_162_15332.jpg

General observations - I arrived around 1pm on a Tues and despite the parking lot being full (there is parking in the rear), I was easily able to secure a seat at the almost empty Sushi bar and half the tables also seemed to be available. Service was friendly and fast (sometimes a bit too fast).

The 4 sushi chefs were busy making sushi for the customers and also seemed to be prepping for the night. One of them was schucking scallops and cleaning them very meticulously while 2 others were prepping Unagi (Eel).

So, is this place overrated or is it a hidden gem? While they may face some stiff competition from places in NYC or even Philly, in the burbs, they are a definite hidden gem and I will certainly be back to try some more sushi.

Anyone been here recently? I may be going tomorrow night with a friend who claims this is her favorite place. The education continues...

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Went last night to continue my sushi tour. I don't have much time to post but I'll say that everything was good, the fish seemed nice and fresh, but it wasn't very memorable. We didn't have anything that looked as good as the pictures above, and the fish was cut a little bit too large for my liking. I would go back if I was in the area and was dying for sushi but that's about it. The place was packed by the way. Didn't get to sit at the sushi bar because it was booked up for the entire night. Cleary a lot of people like it, but it didn't knock my socks off.

Edited to add that I'm all sushi'd out for a while. I can see why it's a "cravings" type of food.

Edited by Tim Dolan (log)

Homer Simpson

Our little wine group did a BYOB dinner last night at Vincent Totaro's Trattoria, 689 Spring Mill Rd, Conshocken. I've lived in Montco since 1962 and never heard anyone talk about this place. What a find! An ever changing menu that spans chicken and veal to all the seafood/shellfish and pasta items. My osso bucco served over rissotto was very nice indeed $28. Apps were good too, try the duck breast. And grandma makes all the desserts.

Best,

Mike

Mike, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Totaro's Trattoria. I lived a few blocks from there in Conshohocken for many years and unfortunately never had a good meal there. Sounds like they've turned things around.

BROG, a beer blog

If you're looking for a boardwalk type pizza, try Palermo's in Royersford. (there's also one in Phoenixville)

Everyone who I send over their loves there pizza, they don't have delivery though.

I've heard nothing but high regards for Satchmo's!!

Lou's Too - you have to try their Lou's Too Italian Special!!! It's awesome! They also have a cheesesteak on garlic bread!

Edited by shellbellc (log)

If you're looking for a boardwalk type pizza, try Palermo's in Royersford. (there's also one in Phoenixville) 

Everyone who I send over their loves there pizza, they don't have delivery though.

If you are at Palermo's stop by Han Dynasty II, which is right next door, for some great atypical Chinese (Sichuan) and Taiwanese food.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a delightful new restaurant that opened in Willow Grove in January called La Fusion Cafe. I don't care for their name, but I love their food. I've been there half a dozen times already, for both lunch and dinner, and I haven't had anything that wasn't spot-on wonderful. Even my picky chef husband loves it.

La Fusion Café

3 Easton Road

Willow Grove, PA 19090

tel 215.657.2428

www.lafusionrestaurant.com

No photos yet, but I will try to bring my camera the next time I go. (My phone takes abysmal photos.)

Their sushi is fresh and delicious. I am particularly fond of their sake (salmon) and hamachi (yellowtail). I don't care for rolls and so haven't tried those. The crispy duck dinner entrée with Chambord glaze ($21) was, on two occasions, among the best I've ever had. The skin was crunchy crisp and the meat moist, tender and perfect. The crab cake special ($32) last Sunday produced two lovely crab cakes full of big lumps of crabmeat and topped with a wasabi glaze.

My mom and DH have had the shrimp pad thai ($11 lunch entrée, $18 dinner entrée), Thai fried rice with chicken and shrimp ($13 at lunch), the soft-shell crab dinner entrée special ($29), and the grilled steak in pineapple teriyaki sauce ($24 at dinner). They were quite happy with everything.

All entrées come with perfectly cooked fresh veggies and are beautifully presented.

The owner, Yenh, is a lovely young woman who is a recent graduate of the Restaurant School. She is gracious and accommodating and has put her heart and soul into this place. I've recently developed a couple of sorbet recipes for her - Thai iced coffee and Thai iced tea - that she will be making soon. (We have no business relationship. I am just a very happy customer and am trying to help her out.)

They are located in a former tire store (it's pretty now!) directly across from Barnes and Noble. The best way to get to their small parking lot is to turn right onto Davisville Road from York Road right after Easton and York split (coming from the direction of the turnpike). When you get to the end of the block right before the traffic light, turn right into the lot. The windows at the front of the restaurant face the Olive Garden and it pains me to see people lined up to eat that crap while a small independent place serving wonderful food is so underpatronized. It seems that word is getting out, though, and each time we go there are more and more people eating there.

They take Visa and Mastercard.

Barb

Edited by bjcohan (log)

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

• 1 month later...
Salmon Teriyaki Bento box from Bon Jung. Comes with Miso soup and at $8, that makes it one of the best deals in town.

gallery_21049_162_814.jpg

For those in Montco not following the Chester County restaurants thread, I recommend reading my post on Thai L'Elephant in Phoenixville.

I hit Bonjung occasionally for their udon, which I think is the perfect lunch for a cloudy, rainy day. Today I tried out their sushi bar since sushi is now clearly my favorite food to eat in the world. I had a 7 piece sushi combo with a spicy tuna roll. I'd say it was average.

It was clear that the sushi chef had 7 stock pieces of fish that he knew he was going to assemble for such orders. I received salmon, yellowtail, fluke, tuna, striped bass, white tuna, and shrimp. The fish was fresh and tasted good, but some pieces, namely both pieces of tuna, were cut way too large for my liking. I had to eat both in two bites. I now know that this is one of my biggest pet peeves when eating sushi. Also the spicy tuna roll seemed to be a tuna-mousse wrapped in rice. It wasn't my favorite.

The place seems like it has potential though. I realize that since I didn't specify anything, I left myself open to get their standard offering. Now I'm starting to learn what many other people have mentioned when they say it's important to strike up a conversation with your sushi chef and let him know what you're looking for, or at least that you're willing to stray away from the standard. This was definitely the case today.

Homer Simpson

I have noticed that Bon Jung has a different sushi chef for lunch vs dinner. Though I have not been in a few months, the dinner sushi chef is decent. I also tend to avoid sushi places early in the week.

For good sushi try Moritomo in Royersford and occassionally Jasmin in Trappe.

Have you tried any Korean dishes like the stone pot bibimbap and gal-bi at Bon Jung?

Cheers

Percy

I have noticed that Bon Jung has a different sushi chef for lunch vs dinner. Though I have not been in a few months, the dinner sushi chef is decent. I also tend to avoid sushi places early in the week.

For good sushi try Moritomo in Royersford and occassionally Jasmin in Trappe.

Have you tried any Korean dishes like the stone pot bibimbap and gal-bi at Bon Jung?

Cheers

Percy

I have not tried either of those dishes, but I have had the curry katsu which was unremarkable. The stone pot bibimbap wasn't on the menu that I printed out a few months ago, but I'll give it a shot next time I go there.

Homer Simpson

Anyone try GAYA on Skippack Pike? Its a Korean place. There is also a japanese restaurant next to it. It appears to be a large banquet type facility. A friend of mine says it was a number of different places over the years.

Regardless, I had some excellent Korean food, sorry no camera, that was reasonably price. I had the Bulgolgi for one and some seaweed soup. The ban chan (little sides) were numerous and tasty. I liked their Kimchee it was the perfect mix of hot/sour and had a great crunch. There also was what appeared to be a pressed fermented tofu which was really good. When I asked for the hot bean paste they looked at me a little funny and wanted to make sure I knew it was hot. Which is ok I guess but if I were to order a spicy dish on return I would tell them I like spicy.

Service was excellent, however it was around 5 pm on a tuesday. There was a number of groups eating, I was the only non asian. A good sign.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Upper Bucks and have friends down in Glenside who are coming up for dinner. The goal: a place that serves good Chinese AND has a full bar since Mai Tais are apparently a need.

Anyone know of such a place? Be nice to find some place in Lower Bucks/Montco, but we're willing to go as far as Allentown. Gonna google and such, but if anyone has a rec, I trust eG over all :)

I was driving by Satchmo's this morning and theres a big "for rent" sign in front. I couldn't tell for sure if they were closed.

Best,

Mike

We were there a couple of weeks ago and I am 99% sure the For Rent sign is for the place next to Satchmos, it used to be an ice cream/candy place. Though I do think Satchmo's could improve their signage and positioning so you could notice it more from the road.

For some reason I was thinking that Satchmos might even expand into that space? Can't remember if there was something in the window that indicated that.

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

...For some reason I was thinking that Satchmos might even expand into that space? Can't remember if there was something in the window that indicated that.

You are correct, Satchmo's was looking into expanding and creating dining space for a BYO and further leverage Satchmo's kitchen.

Lunch at Han Dynasty II. Soup with mixed vegetable and pork. Delicious. Chicken with dry pepper. Hot, peppery goodness with lots of garlic, flower peppers and dry and green peppers.

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/12456042..._6686_84985.jpg

Always good.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 months later...

Dropped in at the Dosa Hut recently. I really like this place, but sadly haven't been in that neighborhood all that much recently (2864, Ridge Pike, Eagleville - between Collegeville and Norristown) I might have to change that, because I really enjoyed my food.

I started with Onion Pakora, Who doesn't like fried onions?

DosaHutPakora.JPG

These had a great crunch, and a nice edge of spice from the occasional slice of chili pepper lurking among the onions.

(Sorry about the photo quality, I only had my iPhone with me... )

Then a "Sandwich Dosa" which was filled with peppers, onions, tomatoes and potatoes.

DosaHutSandwichDosa.JPG

This was really good - excellent crispness to the dosa, and the filling, although maybe a little heavy on the onion, was very tasty. It came with coconut chutney, tomato chutney and a cup of sambal. This was WAY bigger than it looked, I couldn't quite finish it, but I look forward to ordering another one soon.

Service was very friendly, if a little slow. As always, there seemed to be a lot of workers around that it wasn't clear what they were doing, they were mostly hanging out in the kitchen, but hey, maybe they're there for the random spike in traffic.

Although the seating area has expanded, and the interior looks better than when they opened, it's still super-casual: the food's on styrofoam plates, beverages in disposable cups. A couple came in while I was eating, sat down near me, and when the waiter dropped off a pitcher of water and two styrofoam cups, they seemed shocked, said something to each other about that being a bad sign, and got up and left. I wish I'd thought to tell them that, no, it's a GOOD sign! This place is an unpretentious Dosa Hut, like a roadside stand, it's serving snacks and dosas and some basic entrees, it's more stylistically like a diner or burger joint than like a formal restaurant. Thankfully, fancy tableware doesn't correlate with the tastiness of the food!

www.dosahutchathouse.com

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 5 months later...

Has anyone been to Bluefin lately? Their website seems to be gone, and when searching for their number to make a reservation, I stumbled across some more recent reviews and found more than one reports of service that, if accurate, can only be considered arrogant. While I didn't exactly experience that during my last visit in the fall, the wait staff wasn't exactly what I'd call attentive, and it did seem like we were rushed out...

• 3 months later...