• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montgomery County Restaurants

percyn

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find the thread about the Valley Forge Brew Pub in Gateway shopping center. It had been closed for a long time and today I saw it is now a Panera Bread location. Such a unique space, and that's all anyone could do?

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Pho Thai Nam in Blue Bell

www.phothainam.com

1510 Dekalb Pike

Blue Bell, PA 19422

(610) 272-3935

Wife had chargrilled chicken with vermicelli noodles

gallery_21049_162_1208.jpg

While I had the "Special Pho" - brisket, tripe, tendons, etc

gallery_21049_162_79.jpg

But the best part was the Vietnamese coffee

gallery_21049_162_48828.jpg

But the best part was the Vietnamese coffeegallery_21049_162_48828.jpg

That's an impressive coffee:sweetened condensed milk ratio, percyn. My SO would approve. :biggrin:

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Unfortunately, no one warned me not to go to Jaipur. Ok it was short notice but...

About the best thing I can say about this place is that the owner was very nice and gracious.

We got there around 6:30 last night and there were just four other people in the place, not a great sign but I'm thinking it is Sunday and well you know.

We started off with a few apps consisting of Papri Chaat and the Non-Vegetarian Platter. The Chaat was only passable, nothing like I've enjoyed at other places. The sampler was actually pretty good and came with a combination of chicken samosa, chicken pakora, chicken tikka and seekh kabob.

My friend ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala which was unremarkable in every way. I've made this better at home. I was in the mood for lamb and ordered the Lamb Vindalu. Big mistake, I ate part of one piece and it was so overcooked I couldn't eat any more. We also ordered some garlic naan which looked as bad as it tasted. All in all, bad choice for a place that seems to have a decent rep.

When the owner came around to ask how the meal was, I said it was ok until I had the lamb. He was nice enough to come back later and tell me he tasted it and it was indeed way dry and overdone..he removed the item, from our bill. Nice touch but I won't be going back any time soon.

Wow, sorry to hear about your experience Jeff! I didn't say anything even though it's in my general neighborhood, because I hadn't been there for a long time. I didn't stop going because it was bad, I just found other places I found more interesting.

I have heard a few raves about it, and not just handmc's upthread. A year or two ago I randomly got chatting to an Indian guy who lives in the area and he told me he liked that place, that it was where he and his wife went if they felt like restaurant food. They were vegetarians, if that makes any difference.

I've been planning on going back for some time, and just haven't gotten around to it. So hey, thanks for jumping on that grenade for us, we owe ya one! If the situation comes up again, I've had good luck at Desi Village, on Gulph Road, just on the opposite side of 202 from the mall.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

It's funny you mention Desi Village because I was vacillating between that and Jaipur. I was also considering A Taste of India which my neighbor (who is also Indian) recommended. I don't get out that way too often and was looking forward to a great Indian meal. Every one can have an off night, I guess.

Wow, sorry to hear about your experience. I have had a lot of bad indian food which is why was so excited when I got a decent meal in a relatively local restaurant.

I went on an early friday evening when it was quiet, maybe that was the differencence. I had hoped I had found a good one.

Yikes.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I went on an early friday evening when it was quiet, maybe that was the differencence. I had hoped I had found a good one.

Not to make excuses, but you might be on to something. I was thinking along the same lines, in that Sunday evening is typically a slow night for Indian restaurants and probably the night the regular chef is off (if they get a day off that is).

Taste of India is good for typical Indian dishes, but Dosa Hut (relatively new hole in the wall) is growing on me.

I hadn't thought of that but I sincerely doubt I'll be up to testing the hypothesis anytime soon.

When I get back to that area, I will try either Desi Village or ATOI and hopefully not on a Sunday and this time with something positive to report.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Has anyone been to Cab Fryes' Tavern in Perkiomen? I had a nice dinner there last week. My girls even tried and liked thier sweetbreads. I had a nice filet Mignon and enjoyed dessert as well. The wine list was a let down though.

I am a little reluctant to say much more given my last review was such a bomb.

--------------------

Don't let my experience inhibit your reviews in any way. That's what this Forum is all about. We may well have had the second string chef on a slow night, who knows. I just didn't care for it. If it were a local place for me, I might actually try it again but KOP is about an hours drive so..not happening.

I generally like to read several reviews on a new place before trying it and I have read favorable reviews elsewhere about Jaipur. I just chose the wrong night I think.

There is more than the past review for this comment, although thanks for the support, Cab Frye's has been around for decades and I don't know if I hit it on a good night or whether it is consistent. My Father in Law who is impossible to please had been there a few weeks before and it was his 45th wedding anniverisary this go around who had a good experience the time before.

It is has a number of old classics on the menu, some old french, etc, then there is some Asian dumplings which while very good were way out of place with sweetbreads and other more classic fare,like the roast duck which the FIL raved about.

It has been known over the years as a place to get wild game,etc. I steered away from it because all the dishes has some kind of berry or cherry sauce and while sometime appropriate I am not a big fan of berries with my wild game. I perfer a hearty wine sauce or one with a little booze or if friuit of the dried variety. Its a hang up of mine I need to work through.

--------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it over to SatchMo's in Collegeville and really enjoyed it.

gallery_23992_5411_122606.jpg

Crab and Andouille Gumbo had a nice medium roux base, and no tomatoes, which is the style we generally prefer. The sausage gave it a little heat, but it was generally only moderately spicy, but had good flavor overall.

gallery_23992_5411_185065.jpg

The Muffaletta was huge, as it should be, easily big enough to serve two. The roll and fillings were pretty close to what you'd get in New Orleans, and more importantly, made for a tasty sandwich.

gallery_23992_5411_109830.jpg

The Sloppy Burger usually has cheez whiz on top of the burger and barbecue pork, but we went a more minimal route and skipped the cheez. Our conclusion: why isn't this a more common thing? That was a delicious burger, a great combination of flavors.

gallery_23992_5411_78537.jpg

The Crawfish Popcorn Po Boy is on the menu has having creole mustard, cheese and sourcream on it, but we slimmed that down too, to just the mustard. And this was a very good sandwich, the crawfish tails were nice and crispy but still juicy. With the soft bread and mustard it was a great array of soft and crunchy and tangy and savory.

gallery_23992_5411_51173.jpg

Fried Pickles had a similar crunch, and while they were very good on their own, we really liked them stuffed into the crawfish poboy too.

Overall, we liked everything, and will definitely go back for some of those same things, and to try more. Thanks for the heads-up, Percy!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 1 month later...

Anybody realize that there's a Primo's at the corner of Trooper and Egypt Roads? How long has that been there? Chalk up one more good lunch spot...

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody realize that there's a Primo's at the corner of Trooper and Egypt Roads?  How long has that been there? Chalk up one more good lunch spot...

More details on Primo please....

Primo's is the local chain of hoagie joints that seem to be sprouting up like Gremlins throughout the area. I was skeptical about them until I had one of their sandwiches, which are pretty damn good.

Homer Simpson

• 2 weeks later...
So I just got back from lunch at Satchmo's.  I tried their bbq pork, which I liked better than the Italian pork, but it still didn't quite knock my socks off. I think it might be the roll. It's a good roll, but not good enough to push a sandwich over the top.  It is just a normal steak roll, NOT the better looking seeded roll in Percy's pictures above. In any event, it's still a good sandwich.

I feel like I need to update my comments about their bbq pork sandwich since I've been back to Satchmo's approximately 1,368 times since they've opened and now the people there automatically assume I'm going to order it. Apparently I like it a bit more than I originally thought.

Also, the owner, Mark, has a big smoker outside where he occasionally does ribs, and he will be entering them in the Gary Maddox BBQ Competition down at Citizens Bank Park at the end of the month. He said that in previous years they won in a few different categories under the French Quarter Bistro, but this year he's entering as Satchmo's.

Homer Simpson

Okay - I did another post looking for prix fixe deals in Philly, but the photos from Satchmo's look awsome - I need that gumbo and the crawfish po boy. I will be staying in Conshohocken for a few days while dropping the kid off at school on the main line. Is Satchmos worth the drive?

Is Satchmos worth the drive?

Depending on the time of day, it should only be a 15-20 min drive each way, so depending on how bad your craving is.....

You might even get lucky if he is smoking some ribs and butt.

speaking of SatchMo's and time of day- I found out the hard way that they are closed on Sundays!

To save an EG'teers the same disappointment, I copied down the times as they were listed on the chalkboard today

M/T 10:30-3 (3:30?) can't read my own writing!

W 10:30-7:30

R/F/S- 10:30-10

Sun- CLOSED

Got me some chicken at Specks, and the leftovers sure are hitting the spot right now!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

Oops...sorry, thought it was mentioned somewhere on this thread that they are closed on Sundays.

Specks is OK for a greasy meal. This weekend I went to Bombay Kitchen, which is 50 yards from Specks in the Collegeville Pit Stop go-cart place.

This place opened about a month ago and serves Tandoor dishes as well as snacks (Bhel, Papdi chaat, etc) along with the typical dishes of biryani, vegetables, etc.

They specialize in Goan (Indo-Portuguese) dishes and their naan is made in the tandoor oven. They also have a catering service, specializing in Maharashtran dishes (Western part of India).

On the day I went, the place was empty at first, but started to fill up by 1pm. Clientele so far is mainly Indian as the word is still getting out.

The dishes here are less spicy (haven't tried the Goan dishes yet) than they are at Dosa Chaat hut a few miles down the road. The seating arrangement is a lot nicer than Dosa hut as well as is the tableware.

Anyway, I still need to try many items on the menu, so will report back.

• 2 months later...

We went with friends to Mama Velis's for dinner last night. The place was packed, mostly with families with screaming kids and adults that don't know the power of their own lungs.

Their reservation system seems to be unique. They assign reservations to tables so its very possible that if the people at your assigned tabled stay longer than anticipated you wait while later reaervations are seated.

Except for the wedding soup most for our group liked their food. Chicken parm, chicken marsala, my wife's pasta dish. I ordered one of the specials, something on the order of veal saltimbuca. I could hardly cut the veal with my knife.

Our waitress never noticed that the setup people didn't put the bread and oil on the table and seemed to get sidetracked whenever she was going to clear soup and starter dishes from the table.

We all decided it wouldn't be on the return list.

Best

Mike