• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montgomery County Restaurants

percyn

while I got an Elk loin, with demi glace, wild boar sausage, winter hash and Brussel sprouts, which happened to be one of the specials for the night. I was looking forward to this dish, which at $35 was the priciest on the menu.  Unfortunately, it was so heavily seasoned with pepper that I could barely taste the elk. The wild boar sausage on the other hand was very nice.

This is a "send back-able" offense in my book. Was it advertised as pepper crusted? The portions look huge. And that's from me, who likes to eat large portions.

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

while I got an Elk loin, with demi glace, wild boar sausage, winter hash and Brussel sprouts, which happened to be one of the specials for the night. I was looking forward to this dish, which at $35 was the priciest on the menu.  Unfortunately, it was so heavily seasoned with pepper that I could barely taste the elk. The wild boar sausage on the other hand was very nice.

This is a "send back-able" offense in my book. Was it advertised as pepper crusted? The portions look huge. And that's from me, who likes to eat large portions.

In hindsight, if I was not hungry or have a wine to tame the pepper, I probably would have sent it back.

The portions were pretty generous and we made 2 meals out of them.

Ever since I got that great PoBoy from Satchmo's, I have been wanting to do back. Since it was a cold night, I had a cup of chili to warm me up while I waited for my sandwich to be made. Chili was bold with a slight sweetness in the finish and had no beans.

What did I order????

Drum roll please......

The giant Muffaletta.....meant to be eaten by 2 (I have half of it in my fridge, lets see if it survives past midnight).

gallery_21049_162_58697.jpg

Great tasting (and filling) sandwich. The bread could have been a tad bit fresher, but overall a very delicious meal.

gallery_21049_162_23608.jpg

As great as the Muffaletta was, I think my favorite is still the Popcorn PoBoy with that addictive creole mustard.

I stopped by on Monday and had the pork and prosciutto sandwich. Slow roasted Italian style pork, asiago cheese and prosciutto on a nice, fresh long roll. Also comes with roasted peppers just I got mine without. It was pretty solid, but I'll eat my way through some more of the menu before I go back to it. It's a nice little place, and I do mean little. There's 4 seats at the counter and two small tables by the walls, which will suck if (when) this place gets popular. I might swing by today and grab a cheesesteak, or a hoagie, or the bbq pork. Haven't decided yet...

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

So I just got back from lunch at Satchmo's. I tried their bbq pork, which I liked better than the Italian pork, but it still didn't quite knock my socks off. I think it might be the roll. It's a good roll, but not good enough to push a sandwich over the top. It is just a normal steak roll, NOT the better looking seeded roll in Percy's pictures above. In any event, it's still a good sandwich.

I also got the crab and andouille gumbo which I thought was out of this world. I will be the first to say that I know absolutely NOTHING about authentic gumbo, but god-damn this stuff was good. Spicy enough to open up your sinuses and PACKED with sausage, crab and rice. Next time I go I'm gonna see if they'll give me a quart of that stuff.

Homer Simpson

gallery_23992_3894_31789.jpg

Saw an ad for the Dosa Hut and Chat House in a flier, and couldn't resist checking it out.

It's at 2864 Ridge Pike, which, depending on where you look, might be considered Collegeville, Trooper or Norristown. It's just a stone's throw from the corner of Park Ave and Ridge pike, which strikes me as Trooper, but their own menu says Collegeville.

Then again, their menu lists www.dosahutandchathouse.com as their website, and it's not there, at least not yet!

But none of that matters, what does is that the dosas are really good. Or at least the one I had was. This is a Mysore Masala Dosa, which was actually not super-spicy, but had a bit of a kick, and great flavor and texture.

gallery_23992_3894_8844.jpg

They have a good selection of dosas, as well as a good choice of Chat, a few standard curries, and Indo-Chines dishes like Chilli Chicken or Chicken Manchurian (and vegetarian versions as well.)

People were super-nice. The place is tiny, with not too many seats, but there are a few tables, and counters looking out over the street. As you can see, it's pretty casual, with styrofoam plates and cups, and cafeteria trays. Hey, it's a dosa hut...

I liked it, and want to check out the chat.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Thanks to Philadining for bringing this 10 day old dosa house to my attention and how could I not try it out after seeing his pictures?

It is a little hole in the wall place (which meets one of my criteria for good eats). It seems to be run by a group of young India boys (many of whom seem to be grad student types). What they seem to lack in experience they make up in enthusiasm.

Menu is small, but seems to have a good mix of Chaat, Dosa, Veg, non-Veg, South Indian and Indo-Chinese dishes. They did not seem to have my original choice of Sev Puri or Dhai Batata Puri.

So, I ordered the Spinach Malasa Dosa

gallery_21049_162_24810.jpg

Peek-a-boo - inside shot

gallery_21049_162_2734.jpg

and a Paav Bhaji - Well spiced, without being too spicy. Paav means bread, which in this case is grilled on a flat range with butter. The vegetables (Bhaji) include cauliflower, peas, potatoes, etc.

gallery_21049_162_169375.jpg

Everything seemed to be made fresh and was worth the 10-15 minute wait. In fact, some things are so fresh and hot that I almost burned the roof of my mouth.

The word seems to be getting out on this young restuarant. In the 20-30 minutes I was there there must have been at least 10 parties come in, many for take-out.

Overall, the dosa was not as good as say Devi in Exton, but they are relatively new and have (non-veg) items on their menu which Devi does not. I will certainly go back again....and soon.

I stopped by on Monday and had the pork and prosciutto sandwich. Slow roasted Italian style pork, asiago cheese and prosciutto on a nice, fresh long roll. Also comes with roasted peppers just I got mine without. It was pretty solid, but I'll eat my way through some more of the menu before I go back to it. It's a nice little place, and I do mean little. There's 4 seats at the counter and two small tables by the walls, which will suck if (when) this place gets popular. I might swing by today and grab a cheesesteak, or a hoagie, or the bbq pork. Haven't decided yet...

Apparently the Italian Bakery on Ridge Pike also sells roast pork sandwiches. Haven't tried one yet...

Great to hear from you Barb! Thanks for the tip on the Willow Grove Ooka, was wondering if it was good. Do they happen to be BYOB? can't remember (the one in Doylestown is not), maybe I'm confusing them with Ota-ya?

David, when I was at Ooka last week, I checked. They are indeed BYOB.

I did manage to snap some photos with my phone. Once I figure out how to get them from there to the computer, I'll post them. (It's a new phone and we're just getting acquainted...)

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

• 2 weeks later...

Thai L'Elephant in Phoenixville has Miang Khum as a "Chef's special menu" item. It is hard to find this appetizer of onions, peanuts, chilies, lime, coconut, dried shrimp and plam sugar wrapped in a leaf (traditionally beetle leaf, but since these are hard to source, lettuce leaves are substituted).

I highly recommend this if you want an unusual and somewhat authentic flavor from Thailand.

Tim, try the Popcorn PoBoy next time (assuming you are not allergic). If you don't like it, I will buy it you.

Well sir, you were right. I had this on Friday and thought it was great. The crawfish (which I've never had and really aren't anything like shrimp, like I had assumed earlier) were fried by someone who knows what they're doing. The batter was light but very crispy and not greasy at all, and the crawfish were nice and tender. Next time I'll get it without the cheese and sour cream as to not distract from the flavors of the voodoo sauce and creole mustard, which I think are very good.

Homer Simpson

Thanks to Philadining for bringing this 10 day old dosa house to my attention and how could I not try it out after seeing his pictures?

And thanks again to Phil A. and Percy for both trying this place out! On Saturday I had to go to the mall at King of Prussia- the only thing that sustained me during that brutal deathmarch through a nightmarish hellscape was the prospect of some dosa afterwards. Fortunately, the food didn't disappoint: I really enjoyed my spinach masala dosa and samosa chat. Good mutter paneer and lassi as well.

It's a funny little place. When I was there, around lunchtime, there were like eight dudes in the kitchen: maybe two were cooking and one working the register, but the rest were just hanging out. Everybody was friendly and seemed to be having a good time. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Answering my own question, I found frozen banana leaves at Sae Han Oriental Food Market‎ in Blue Bell. Not the freshest produce, but a large enough selection of Asian items.

The same strip mall has a small Korean place which seemed popular with the ethnic clientel.

Since it was cold and rainy, I ordered the Galbi Tang soup, and was pleasantly surprised when it came with 8-9 accompaniments including Kim Chi, Mackerel, Mushrooms, seaweed salad, fried cilantro, fermented tofu, potato salad, etc

gallery_21049_162_8766.jpg

gallery_21049_162_12021.jpg

gallery_21049_162_30658.jpg

Went to Casual Gourmet on Ridge Pike near Limerick yesterday. They recently started serving dinner. Tried the French Onion soup, which was good after I scooped a spoon full of grease that seemed to originate from the melted cheese

Wife got the Beef Bourguignon - Beef was tender though some pieces seemed oddly dry.

gallery_21049_162_51371.jpg

While I got the Chicken Marsala - Very good mashed potatoes. The chicken seemed slightly underdone.

gallery_21049_162_44563.jpg

Portions were huge and could easily be shared. They seemed to have a good selection of pies, but we were too full to try them.

Answering my own question, I found frozen banana leaves at Sae Han Oriental Food Market‎ in Blue Bell. Not the freshest produce, but a large enough selection of Asian items.

I have found banana leaves at the Shoprite on Germantown. I dislike that store but they have a great Ethnic Foods aisle. I went in for corn husks for tamales and they were the first things I saw when I walked in!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Swung by Satchmo's in Collegeville to get some Gumbo and this time picked up a

Crabcake Sandwich - Large hand formed crabcake gently held together with mustard and mayo, which make it extra moist. Very nice sandwich and a great deal at $6.50

gallery_21049_162_33275.jpg

Under the hood

gallery_21049_162_12056.jpg

Swung by Satchmo's in Collegeville to get some Gumbo and this time picked up a

Crabcake Sandwich - Large hand formed crabcake gently held together with mustard and mayo, which make it extra moist. Very nice sandwich and a great deal at $6.50

gallery_21049_162_33275.jpg

Under the hood

gallery_21049_162_12056.jpg

i dunno -- it seems obscene to use a croissant to make a sandwich. i may be in the minority here. wouldn't you all prefer good bread?

I had a meeting this morning in Collegeville and thanks to the kind souls on this board I knew exactly where I'd be heading for lunch...Satchmo's for a popcorn poboy. Man, that thing is good! The interplay of the spicy sauce and sweet crawfish tails is quite tasty. The only other comment I have that hasn't already been mentioned is that I think, what with the coating on the crawfish, the roll is a bit superfluous, especially since the roll isn't all that great itself. For me, I think it would have been more enjoyable just as a platter, tossed in the mustard and voodoo sauce and eaten with fingers/fork. Fortunately, it looks like they offer that option under the "sides" section of their menu. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Jaipur Indian Cuisine

336 W Dekalb Pike

King Of Prussia, PA 19406

www.jaipurindia.com

Simply amazing Indian food. The best I have had anywhere.

This is the best indian food I have ever had. Better than any place in Chicago or anywhere I have tried. I cook Indian food, I eat it often, I love its complexity.

Eating here was humbling. I thought I was familiar with Indian food and flavors. I was blown away it was if I was eating Indian food for the first time. New flavors, I could not identify what they were, but I know I wanted more.

Service was prompt, warm, professional and unobtrusive, I dare say it is the finest I have had in at least a year.

I had the spinach soup, somosa, chicken vindaloo, raita and hot pepper naan. Desert was Kulfi. The rice that was served along with dinner was breathtaking. A mix of colors, aromos and tastes to again baffle the senses in the nicest way.

To attempt a description would be a disservice to the Chef and the food. I deeply apologize for the lack of a camera as it was a last minute decision and I had not even thought to bring my cell phone.

I spent the week in North NH eating alone, the food grim. I unexpectedly found myself dinning alone again as my wife and daughters had plans. Frankly when I found it was located in a strip mall all that hoped for was a decent meal.

What I received was more than I ever could have expected. I cannot wait to return.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren