• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grenoblaise

Doodad

Can someone give me the pronunciation, meaning and origin of this term? I assume it is a town or region?

Making Pollack Grenoblaise based on Bourdain's recipe for dinner tonight. But, I thought I would deglaze with a dry Alsatian type wine prior to the juice and caper introduction.

Thanks.

Grenoble is an inland city in south-western France at the foot of the Alps. I would guess that this is were the name is from, but given the ingredients of lemons and capers I not sure that the recipe has anything to do with the city ultimately.

Grenobloise sauce (sometimes written as Grenoblois) is a browned butter sauce with lemon segments, capers, parsley, and croutons. I haven't seen the Bourdain recipe, but in theory this type of sauce doesn't have deglaze stage, just brown the butter and add garnish.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

Grenoble is an inland  city in south-western France at the foot of the Alps. I would guess that this is were the name is from, but given the ingredients of lemons and capers I not sure that the recipe has anything to do with the city ultimately.

Grenobloise sauce (sometimes written as Grenoblois) is a browned butter sauce with lemon segments, capers, parsley, and croutons. I haven't seen the Bourdain recipe, but in theory this type of sauce doesn't have deglaze stage, just brown the butter and add garnish.

Thanks for the reply. I did indeed decide not to do a deglaze and did a reduction instead to add to the lemons, capers and parsley. Now if I can cook the fish properly I am good (I think). :smile: