• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hotel Restaurant Dining

727 Pine needs to get on the stick and change the website, then.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yes, 727 has a new executive chef by the name of Matthew Smith.

The Chef of 727 Pine is Kyle Nelson. He is responsible for all of the welcome changes in the menu.

Welcome Malaika! :smile:

Can you give us a hint as to the menu changes? And if you know, can you tell us where Chef Nelson was working before? Oh, and do you know if the original pastry chef is still there? Thanks!

I have a 727 Pine gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket - maybe I need to check out the new menu...

• 3 years later...
Is there any mystery to why hotel restaurants drive chefs away?  The chef is never an owner and her restaurant is constantly subject to the whims of the hotel management.  On top of that, 727 Pine is a good restaurant that opened in the wrong place at the wrong time and sits empty.  I don't blame Danielle Custer for moving on.

In hindsight, look at what happened at Tulio's. Chef went out for an ownership option, and came home for the security and luxury of a hotel operated establishment.

Hey, I said that almost four years ago! I didn't mean anything I said back then, and anything I say today has a 2009 expiration date.

Nice to see you still play here. It will be interesting to see what "they" quote from web forums in the future. Pre-politicians, watch what you post.

There aren't many exceptions to the 2002 thought, unless you go to Las Vegas.

I think what Tulio's chef found is that once he got into bed with the Mackays (wasn't it?), he had even less control and more risk than he did at the hotel.

I think mamster's comment holds, even if he chooses to disavow it....

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946