• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hotel Restaurant Dining

TLS suggested we start a new thread on Hotel Dining in the Northwest (as I didn't get any responses to my query on the Olympic Four Seasons). So I will open the topic up to a broader scope...

What have been your experiences (both good & bad) of dining in hotel restaurants in the Northwest?

Any that stand out? Any to avoid?

Are hotel restaurants getting better or worse?

Also, I'm still curious if anyone has eaten at the Olympic Four Season's in downtown Seattle lately? ie. Georgian Room, Shuckers, or the Garden Court?

"Earth and Ocean" in the W Hotel is excellent. The last time I was there the chef made a fantastic steamed salmon on a bed of couscous that was to die for, heavenly. The chef was voted one of the top ten new chefs in America by Food and Wine magazine (2001).

Definitely worth a visit.

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

I think hotel dining is a real mixed-bag the world over and Seattle isn't any different really. I think there are some really good places in town including Brasserie Margaux in the Warwick, Tulio in the Hotel Vintage Park, the Hunt Club in the Sorrento, Sazerac at Hotel Monaco and Cafe Campagne in the Inn at the Market. To answer your question BH, my wife and I had dinner at Shucker's in the Olympic about a year ago a thought it was very good. Some of the best oysters I've had in town. Have also had brunch in the Palm Court which is pretty over the top in terms of variety and quantity, but is still a buffet brunch and fairly pricey. We also had a nice dinner at E&O earlier this year, but I feel like I need to go back to render my final opinion. On the bad end (at least among hotels that try to act like they have a good restaurant) are Waters at the Woodmark and Blowfish at the Paramount. I would avoid both at all costs.

As I noted, my all-time favorite in this category would have to be The Painted Table. Never made it to Fuller's in the Monique Barbeau days, but that obviously got a lot of attention in its day.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I ate at The Georgian this past winter.

The room may be dressed down, but I would not call it casual. Tables are very far apart, which has the downside of taking all the energy away. No eavesdropping, no plate envy. Excellent service (oh, that's a different thread.)

The food was very good to excellent. Ingredients were rich, well handled, and presented. Not inexpensive.

At the time, they were running a lunch special - for $13 (soup/salad/sandwich) that sounded great, but I never took advantage of it. Out-of-towners looking for a late weekday breakfast asked, and were served in the lobby bar - simple request served without flaw. This is a good thing to keep in mind in other cities as well (it worked in DC.)

I've also enjoyed everything I've eaten at E&O, but it hasn't been consistantly excellent.

Did not like the one meal I tried at the Sheraton's casual place (Market Cafe?) - never made it to Fullers.

Liked 727, but wanted it to be better. I was inclined to keep trying, but now that the chef has left...anyone try recently?

I've always had good food, with bad service, at Sazerac (Hotel Monaco). Not a good place for vegetarians though. Bad as in taking 45 minutes to get food when there are only two other tables occupied in the whole place.

Cafe Campagne - (not really a hotel restaurant - independent of the Inn)very good, most of the time. Service is generally slow - or at least food service, but not as bad as Sazerac. They can hurry if you need them to - like pre-theater.

Andaluca at The Mayflower - underrated. Has some great food.

Liked 727, but wanted it to be better. I was inclined to keep trying, but now that the chef has left...anyone try recently?

The chef left already?!?! :blink: Darn, I really wanted to try it after all the hoopla about her. Does anyone know what the reason was? While we're on the topic of hotel restaurants, maybe we should discuss why they seem to drive chefs away! Didn't the guy who started E&O leave within a few months also?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Is there any mystery to why hotel restaurants drive chefs away? The chef is never an owner and her restaurant is constantly subject to the whims of the hotel management. On top of that, 727 Pine is a good restaurant that opened in the wrong place at the wrong time and sits empty. I don't blame Danielle Custer for moving on.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Is there any mystery to why hotel restaurants drive chefs away?  The chef is never an owner and her restaurant is constantly subject to the whims of the hotel management.  On top of that, 727 Pine is a good restaurant that opened in the wrong place at the wrong time and sits empty.  I don't blame Danielle Custer for moving on.

Yeah, that hotel was kind of cursed. I went to a banquet there early this year and someone at our table intimated that the hotel had opened less than half of its floors because business was so slow. (I go to a fair number of these types of things because of my wife's biz, and this dinner was spectacular by banquet food standards. Don't even get me started about the lobster salad.) I checked the 727 web site and Ms. Custer is still listed as the exec chef. I understand the challenges of being a hotel chef, but this was supposed to be a big homecoming for her. Are we sure that she has departed?

Another positive vote for the Georgian Room in the Four Seasons Olympic. Highly recommended by my sister and her husband when they were in Seattle. VERY attentive service--almost to the point of being too much.

Campagne also very good!

October 16 (hmm, thought it was the 23rd?) - Evenings at Boomtown - Gavin Stephenson of The Georgian. Here's your chance to sample the cuisine for $20 for a three course meal. Not quite the ambiance or service, but a good cause and tasty food.

Yes, 727 has a new executive chef by the name of Matthew Smith.

A bunch of us "internet gourmets" are going to try Mr Smith's cuisine next month at a Seattle meet, early conversations sound promising, we will see how well he delivers. Reports of interesting events should follow.

Has anyone eaten at the Heathman in Portland?

yes. it was several years ago, but I remember bright fresh interesting flavors and a menu where you just can't decide what you want because everything sounds/looks great.

Born Free, Now Expensive

"Domo-kun is a small brown open-mouthed monster hatched from an egg who lives with a wise old rabbit underground. He really, really likes TV and also enjoys rocking out to Guitar Wolf."

And "killing some kittens" too, eh??

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

"Domo-kun is a small brown open-mouthed monster hatched from an egg who lives with a wise old rabbit underground. He really, really likes TV and also enjoys rocking out to Guitar Wolf."

And "killing some kittens" too, eh??

Only if you are naughty...hehe.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Welcome SeAAttle!

I've only eaten at Earth and Ocean once this year (full review here), and while I did find the food very good, I thought the portions were small and unsatisfying. Have you had this problem with them, or was it just an issue with the "savauge" tasting menu?

Thanks for the welcome. Just discovered this site. We moved to Seattle 2 years ago and have been enjoying the restaurant scene.

I agree that the savauge tasting menu is small. However, I have not noticed that with the regular items, but then again, I tend not to like really large portions.