• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

appalachian stack cakes

phlawless

I have been testing a few recipes for my own version of this classic, but honestly: I'm not sure what the texture is supposed to be. They seem to fall either in the biscuit/cookie or the more tender cake-like area. I know that traditionally you fill the cakes and let them sit overnight, so firmer dough seems to make more sense.

Help?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

I have been testing a few recipes for my own version of this classic, but honestly: I'm not sure what the texture is supposed to be. They seem to fall either in the biscuit/cookie or the more tender cake-like area. I know that traditionally you fill the cakes and let them sit overnight, so firmer dough seems to make more sense.

Help?

While sorghum molasses was considered not suitable in most cakes and pies, it worked very well in the stack cake. Sometimes cooks varied the amount of sweetening by adding brown sugar to the sorghum molasses--one-half cup of sugar to one-third cup of molasses. The apple stack cake is a low fat, not sweet, many-layered cake. It is made with stiff cookie-like dough, flavored with ginger and sorghum molasses, and a sweet, spiced apple filling. When served, the cake is tall, heavy, and moist. The dried apple stack cake was a favorite pioneer wedding cake.

from Appalachian Heritage Magazine

I've never heard of the cake :smile: