• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The 'Monty Python' Wine Cellar

Rebel Rose

Florida Jim obliquely (very obliquely) inspired this Quest . . .

How would you categorize your cellar or your taste in wine?

The Holy Grail

Something Entirely Different

A ComPLETE Waste of Time

(Precise percentages, please! It can't add up to 99.99%.) :angry:

And are there any quotes/titles/phrases that are particularly applicable to your tastes?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Ha! I'd say some Meaning of Life and Life of Brian sums up our wine collection:

Catholic Dad: [singing] Every sperm is sacred, Every sperm is great. If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate.

(we keep it all, whether it's lousy or not)

Mr Creosote: Better get a bucket; I’m going to throw up. (see above)

Wise man: We were led by a star.

Brian's mother: Led by a bottle, you mean.

Brian: You have to be different!

The Crowd: Yes, we are all different!

Small lonely voice: I'm not!

And I loved John Cleese's Wine for the Confused! The most interesting thing was the blind tasting, and realizing that you can't necessarily tell red from white by taste.

80% daily swill

15% fancy time

5% secret stash (usually fortified, like a 20 year old ruby port)

Does this conform? Um . . . neep.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Ha! I'd say some Meaning of Life and Life of Brian

perfect! I hadn't thought of Life of Brian, as I was thinking in terms of titles, rather than content, but you did point out some good lines there...

And I loved John Cleese's Wine for the Confused! The most interesting thing was the blind tasting, and realizing that you can't necessarily tell red from white by taste.

that was a startler, I have to admit- it had never occurred to me, but I guess it is possible with some...

I loved Brendan Fraser's comment (not to mention the bit on the back of the case about "commentary by wine experts and Brendan Fraser") on the one he didn't like "Put it back in the horse". I almost fall off of the couch at that one.

But thinking about the blind tasting scene reminds me of another revelation i had not too long ago...

We hosted a murder-mystery party last year where for the wines we had three Zins from Tres Sabores- all same year, but different winemakers. I really was amazed that, if I hadn't known in advance, I wouldn't have guessed that they were the same varietal or year at all.

Sincerely,

Dante

I haven't seen 'Wine for the Confused.' But I love Cleese and Fraser . . . I'll have to check it out. Also need to brush up on my Pythonisms, that's for sure. Plus, I just realized that my son is probably too young to have an appreciation for classic video literature. I shall have to rectify that, forthwith! :wink:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook