• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I buy Slaked Lime in SEA?

Anyone know where in Seattle I can buy food-grade cal, also called slaked lime. The chemical name is Calcium hydroxide. I'm using it for pickle making, but it's also the same thing that's used to nixtamalize corn in Mexican and Southwestern cooking.

I tried a pharmacy (as suggested in my book "The Joy of Pickling") and they just looked at me like I was from Pluto. I found it online at gourmetsleuth.com, but would like to buy it locally, as my watermelon rinds need pickling now.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Did you try a compounding pharmacy or just a regular pharmacy? If you didn't already, call a compounding pharmacy like Ballard Plaza Pharmacy, since they actually have ingredients rather than just pre-fabbed pills.

hmm I wonder if one of the brewing supply places might carry this? some of them have branched out a little...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I buy my pickling lime (aka hydrated lime) at McLendon Hardware. I've found it at the White Center, Renton and Kent locations various times across the years.

And yep, it does keep my pickles crunchy!

Great, thanks!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2