• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Aloo Tak recipe

Busboy

A friend's having an Indian-themed gathering this weekend and I've been asked to bring a side. My heart and stomach are set on aloo tak -- potatoes with a tamarind-yogurt sauce. They seem simple enough, , but I can't find a recipe. Anyone out there have one?

Thanks.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I know this is late but I think Busboy is referring to Aloo Chat.

Just double-checked the carryout menu from my (sometimes) favorite Indian restaurant (Heritage India in Washington, DC) and can confirm that at least in that restaurant the dish is known as Aloo Tak.

I'm on the pavement

Just double-checked the carryout menu from my (sometimes) favorite Indian restaurant (Heritage India in Washington, DC) and can confirm that at least in that restaurant the dish is known as Aloo Tak.

You're right, I just googled for it and Aloo Tak seems to be specific to Washington restaurants. It seems to be a creation of Chef Sudhir Seth

His new restaurant's Menu

His user name here is SDSeth, I've emailed him and hope he will respond to your query.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

You're right, I just googled for it and Aloo Tak seems to be specific to Washington restaurants. It seems to be a creation of Chef Sudhir Seth

His new restaurant's Menu

His user name here is SDSeth, I've emailed him and hope he will respond to your query.

Could this be a Bengali influenced dish (pronounced like Toke). Tak implies sourness as in Toker Dal (Dal with Tamarind)...we will see(:

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

I didn't realize that it was a custom creation and not a traditional dish. Chef Seth more or less stood DC on its ear when he opened Heritage India (that's the carry out menu I referred to in my earlier post) here a few years back -- at was head-and shoulders above any other Indian restaurant in the area -- and I have been remiss (or too stereotypically urban) in not venturing out to the suburbs to try his new place.

I'm on the pavement