• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Batali and Paltrow to cohost Spanish food show

KristiB50

this is a niche TV program which is aimed at food masochists.

it is quite possible the worst form of entertainment i can recall seeing, since the movie Eraserhead.

It is a food show that makes a person want to stop eating. It stars an inexplicable collection of people, including an anorexic, someone who needs a gastric bypass, and Chuck Schumer's twin sibling (not meant as a compliment).

The only bright spot is Claudia Bassols (complete hottie). Why exactly she is on the show, other than for hottiness, is however, an utter mystery.

The only bright spot is Claudia Bassols (complete hottie). Why exactly she is on the show, other than for hottiness, is however, an utter mystery.

You're thinking too hard. She's there for her hotness, and nothing more. Accept it. Love it. :biggrin:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the book from the library, I surely wouldn't buy it. It does have a map in the beginning with numbers of the chapters tied to the the map.

Lots of pictures of various groupings of the stars....and pictures of food. Could have done more food pictures.

Every once in a while there is a chart of the "favorites" of the group....fried food, ice cream flavor, favorite tapas etc. Doesn't add much.

At the end of the book there is a cooking contest....using almonds.

But the strangest inclusion (this truly is a book that followed the show) is the little boxes with snips of conversation.......wasn't it bad enough without printing it? Plus "Chatter"......just that......

SO.....recipes, scenery, restaurants, markets, chefs, some interesting content, and way too much of THEM.

when a beautiful plate of jamon hit the table, Paltrow actually blurted out the word "traif." I turned it off right then and there.

I think some of the repetitive cuisine is due to Gwenyth being a vegetarian who, it seems, does eat shellfish.

Okay. So, Paltrow doesn't approve of jamon because it's not kosher. And yet, she eats shellfish, which I'm sure isn't kosher either.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

You're thinking too hard. She's there for her hotness, and nothing more. Accept it. Love it. :biggrin:

And maybe because she's, I dunno, Spanish?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Okay.  So, Paltrow doesn't approve of jamon because it's not kosher.  And yet, she eats shellfish, which I'm sure isn't kosher either.

I know a number of Jewish people who will make a big deal about not eating pork, but then will go ahead and eat shrimp, scallops, etc. It's not uncommon.

when a beautiful plate of jamon hit the table, Paltrow actually blurted out the word "traif." I turned it off right then and there.

I think some of the repetitive cuisine is due to Gwenyth being a vegetarian who, it seems, does eat shellfish.

Okay. So, Paltrow doesn't approve of jamon because it's not kosher. And yet, she eats shellfish, which I'm sure isn't kosher either.

Paltrow has said that she doesn't eat meat from four legged animals - chicken and fish/shellfish are OK. I don't think it has anything to do with Jewish dietary restrictions and she was joking when she said "traif" and it really has to do with her semi-vegetarianism.

Paltrow has said that she doesn't eat meat from four legged animals - chicken and fish/shellfish are OK. I don't think it has anything to do with Jewish dietary restrictions and she was joking when she said "traif" and it really has to do with her semi-vegetarianism.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you be semi-vegetarian? Either you're a vegetarian or you're not.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you be semi-vegetarian? Either you're a vegetarian or you're not.

I don't know, I think that's quite a debate between those that eat no animal products and those that make an exception for milk and eggs.

My comment was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, and there are also people who consider themselves vegetarians "but" they make an exception for fish. Gwyneth has just taken it one step further.