• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Batali and Paltrow to cohost Spanish food show

KristiB50

Paltrow has lived in Spain with a host family in the past. She actually still visits them and loves the country. I believe she is fluent in Spanish as well. Regardless her food likes/dislikes, she is a good candidate as a "non cook" co-host.

Alex

Is Gwyneth Jewish? That might explain why she won't eat the ham...

Yes, according to this website her father is Jewish and the family has 33 rabbis among its ancestors. In this interview she doesn't talk about keeping kosher, but she does say this:

"Judaism is something you can't brush off with a quick answer," she explains. "It's part of who I am and what I've become. It's something you need to sit down and talk about for a long time to really let you understand how much it meant to me in shaping my life."

Maybe that is the answer to her refusal to eat ham.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

• 8 months later...

This looks like a blast! I can't wait.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 months later...

I saw a brief spot on PBS last night advertising this show. I have looked everywhere but do not see it on the schedule for the season. From what I can tell, it was produced some time ago. Has this program every aired?

According to the production company's website, it is going to air this fall on PBS -- like the trailer certainly. Hopefully, it actually WILL air on PBS this fall.

Edited to add that I emailed my local PBS station and they will start airing episodes in Charlotte on 9/27.

Edited by hazardnc (log)

I've read too many remarks she' s made about how Euros are soooo much more civilized and cool than Americans. I'd watch only if I could photoshop her FOS presence out of the picture.

• 1 month later...
they were on oprah today but I didn't watch...too much damn homework

You can see clips on the Oprah website.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Saw the first episode and thought it was a mess. Not much cooking and not much art/culture either, just a bunch of people riding around in their Mercedes inanely chatting. The low point being Don Quixote and Sancho Panza showing up. Personally, I would give the Spanish woman her own show and drop the other three.

Here's hoping the next episode improves.

Saw the first episode and thought it was a mess. Not much cooking and not much art/culture either, just a bunch of people riding around in their Mercedes inanely chatting. The low point being Don Quixote and Sancho Panza showing up. Personally, I would give the Spanish woman her own show and drop the other three.

Here's hoping the next episode improves.

That's exactly the impression that I got, as well. I lost interest in about 15 minutes. I enjoyed the visit to the Manchego producer, but watching Bittman on top of a hill cooking over a propane burner (could this not be done in a kitchen?) then seeing "Don Quixote" was just strange.

And the final dinner was glossed over as we learned nothing because they were all apparently too drunk to say anything comprehensible...except...partridge sushi.

Even in the Manchego visit, I thought Bittman said something like " if you've seen one cheese production process, you've seen them all, it just comes down to the ingredients". Not a good way to introduce a 10 minute segment on the production process to make Manchego. It was just a bizarre show.

Edited by rickster (log)

Watching the first episode now. Only about 15 minutes in so far and I will say this.

Man, I gotta become a celeb chef or a NYT food writer. I can't believe these two guys get to tool around Spain with not one, but two GORGEOUS women and eat and drink with them. Talk about a great life.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I want to like this but..... too much camera time driving, and eating not enough real not prop driven cooking.

The dialog seems forced at times. Its like being at a party where you think the mix of people should generate lots of interesting conversation but what results is a lot of dead air and small talk. It hurts to watch and I want the money I paid for my "season pass" back.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren