• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Batali and Paltrow to cohost Spanish food show

KristiB50

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...7SubG9m5XV/fomz

My friend who follows tabloid news sent me this tidbit because she knows I'm a Mario fan. I highlighted the good parts. I wonder if they'll be cooking or just travelling and eating.

Gwyneth Paltrow is putting Hollywood on hold to film her own TV cookery show, it was revealed.

Although it's not too clear who will tune into a cookery show for Gwyneth's Paltrow's tips.

But the cooking extravaganza, which is being made by American channel PBS, kicks off in October as Gwynnie and Mario take to the Spanish roads.

The actress, 34, is a famously fussy eater and has been ridiculed in the past for her bizarre and strict diet regimes.

They have ranged from strictly macrobiotic to Atkins to vegetarian-who-eats-fish diets. She still doesn't eat pork or beef, but is willing to sample other delicacies for the show. Gwyneth claimed: "I eat all that [spanish] stuff. The crazy fish things, the eels, I love it all." What about the Iberico ham and cold meats?

The TV programme will pay homage to a country where Paltrow spent many childhood summers.

It will also give her a chance to offer America a look at Spanish cooking. Channel 4 and ITV are currently in a bidding war to win the rights to show the programme over here.

A source said: "This is so far removed from what Gwyneth is used to that the show is sure to be a ratings winner. It can't fail.

One wonders if there's a macrobiotic recipe for disaster...

"Even if it's proper car-crash TV it will be entertaining at least

I'm surprised she's lowering her standards enough to do a show with an American, given that she thinks Americans are so unintelligent and uncivilized. As much as I love Mario, this is one show I intend to pass up.

Great. So Paltrow won't eat the jamón (and really, what the hell is the point if you aren't going to eat the jamón?) and Batali will bitch about how it's not as good as prosciutto, which is a total crock.

Whee. Count me out.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Batali and Paltrow are both actually huge proponents of Spanish cuisine. Batali is on record saying he prefers Iberico over any prosciutto. It's his latest (and ongoing) obsession, along with Vietnamese food. Word on the street is that he may open a Vietnamese cuisine restaurant, actually. It could be good if they can manage to focus on food, which may be hoping for too much. PBS has a good track record in my view, so I'm surely gonna give it a chance. It isn't like my life is so unbelievably busy that I can't spare 30 minutes to check out a food show. Y'all know you're the same; you just might not admit it. :)

Batali and Paltrow are both actually huge proponents of Spanish cuisine.  Batali is on record saying he prefers Iberico over any prosciutto.

Isn't Mario, after-all, more Spanish than Italian? Assuming I've got his bio right, he's an Italian-American who grew up partially in Madrid. I'm sure that anyone who spent his high school years in Madrid can't help but have a deep love for Spain.

I'm still bummed that the one time I got to chat with Mario I didn't know that he majored in Renaissance and Baroque Spanish literature while an undergrad. I've got a Ph.D. in the same subject. It would have given us more to chat about.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Batali and Paltrow are both actually huge proponents of Spanish cuisine.  Batali is on record saying he prefers Iberico over any prosciutto.  It's his latest (and ongoing) obsession, along with Vietnamese food.  Word on the street is that he may open a Vietnamese cuisine restaurant, actually.  It could be good if they can manage to focus on food, which may be hoping for too much.  PBS has a good track record in my view, so I'm surely gonna give it a chance.  It isn't like my life is so unbelievably busy that I can't spare 30 minutes to check out a food show.  Y'all know you're the same; you just might not admit it. :)

Ok, I take it back. It was a snotty comment anyway. :biggrin:

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Despite the fussy eating habits, Paltrow is on record saying how much she loves to cook. I think I remember her saying on one of those early Actor'sStudio shows that if she hadn't been an actress, her interest was cooking.

C'mon, it will be great! Paltrow will do great voice overs, and here's hoping at the end of it all that Mario will get her eating the jamon.

No, I think it's legit. Or it's fooled alot of people, judging by the hits that come up after a google search for those two.

Anyways, hopefully this is the beginning of Mario's long overdue hop over to PBS where he rightfully belongs. . .

I bet Bittman had something to do with his getting the PBS gig.

No, I think it's legit. Or it's fooled alot of people, judging by the hits that come up after a google search for those two.

Anyways, hopefully this is the beginning of Mario's long overdue hop over to PBS where he rightfully belongs. . .

I bet Bittman had something to do with his getting the PBS gig.

He's certainly on that show enough that it's another hint that maybe it's going to happen. Plus, PBS has pulled alot of FTV's heavy hitters from the good ol' days: Sara, Ming . . . though the second I hear a "Bam!" I'm packing my bags . . . :hmmm:

I thought Molto Mario (one of my all time faves) hadn't been making new shows for a couple years now. I also wonder why he continued to do so many IC's. He certainly doesn't need the exposure. Does anyone know if they pay the chefs to appear on IC?

I hope he does more cooking shows in the future.

Molto ceased production in 2004, followed soon after by the short-lived Ciao America. So the only regular cooking show he's been on since then is IC. My impression from the article was that FTV was dropping his shows entirely from the schedule, repeats and all (running them I guess on sister network Fine Living instead, which also wouldn't be a bad place for him to migrate to).