• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michael Jackson, R.I.P.

Rich Pawlak

I thought you might like to read Lew Bryson's eloquent TRIBUTE to Michael Jackson on Bryson's website today.

A sad day for any one who loves and appreciates beer.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Aloha & Mahalo for bringing up a most important passing. We shall toast to him and the work he did this weekend. Maybe every bar should turn a glass/pint whatever upside down in his dear honor and memory. A hui hou Michael Jackson, you did good! :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I remember meeting him in Vancouver five years ago. Great gent with a great palate and wit. He will be missed. I hope he passed with a dram of something special in his hand.

Stephen Bonner

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

My favorite memory of JAckson is from almost 10 years ago, when I attended the Press Breakfast for the annual Book and The Cook festival in Philly. I do a beer tour during the festival, and Jackson conducts what is the festival's largest attended event, a tutored beer tasting that draws thousands every year to the Univ of Pennsylvania's museum.

So we've just sat down to breakfast and Jackson strolls in in a tweed sportcoat in whose pockets he has carried two bottles of Heineken. He sits down at OUR table, the only one with available seats, puts the Heinekens on the table and grabs some scrambled eggs, sausages and toast from the nearby buffet, and opens one of the beers, pours it into a tall glass. It is 8:30 in the morning, BTW.

We make small talk with him, as the other culianry people at the table are just too shocked to say anything to him.

"So do you always drink beer for breakfast?" I finally ask him.

"Not at all," he replies, "but I found some Heinekens in my hotel room fridge, and it's a good beer with scrambled eggs and sausage. That's all Heineken is good for anyway, in my opinion."

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Here is the last column he wrote for All About Beer magazine ("Did I Cheat Mort Subite?" Michael Jackson, August 22, 2007). It is quite poignant to read, especially in light of his passing.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Yeah, it really was. I hope he is at peace now; he certainly will be missed.

(Btw, I didn't realize it was linked in Lew Bryson's tribute that appeared in the OP.. sorry!)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

• 2 weeks later...

A Toast to Michael Jackson

"At 9:00 pm EST on Sunday, September 30, beer drinkers across the continent will raise a glass to the memory of the man who did more than anyone to further the cause of good beer, the one and only Beer Hunter, Michael Jackson. And your establishment can play a part!

Some of the venues can be found via Yahoo Events:

List of Venues

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA