• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Abac vs Ca Sento

juniorworm

Hello,

My wife and I will be going to Spain from Sept 27 to Oct 10, mostly to check out Barcelona as a possible sabbatical location. I'm pretty sure that we can only afford one splurge dinner. I've been reading the Barcelona and Valencia posts (we'll be there for a few days too) and I'm trying to decide between Ca Sento and Abac. We'll be staying in the Park Hotel so Abac would be very easy.

But here's the kicker - my wife is a serious dining liability. She doesn't drink wine. At all. :angry: And she's not really into long tasting dinners. :angry: She does, however, really like shellfish, beer, and chocolate. So given these constraints and the relative merits of the two restaurants, which one would be a better pick?

Thanks!

Juniorworm, welcome to the eGullet Society!

Abac is a superb restaurant, but to me there is no question that it would be Ca Sento. I'm not sure about the rest of your wife's constraints, but the shellfish is extraordinary. Ca Sento was one of the best meals I've ever had.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Juniorworm, welcome to the eGullet Society!

Abac is a superb restaurant, but to me there is no question that it would be Ca Sento. I'm not sure about the rest of your wife's constraints, but the shellfish is extraordinary. Ca Sento was one of the best meals I've ever had.

I agree with the choice between the above two.

that said, one might have to hurry up and get to Abac anyway to visit the current location as I understand they are moving into some very ambitious new digs in an upscale Barca neighborhood whose name (tibidabo, perhaps?) that escapes me at the moment. In a park, first class kitchen, wine cellar, spa and suites upstairs, it is super luxe with high michelin ambitions. if true, i can't wait for this to be open.

my understanding is that current Abac space might become more of a casual place in the Abac holdings. has anyone seen the construction going on in that neighborhood? would Placa JFK make sense?

Edited by milla (log)