• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Preserves

weinoo

In a Ruth Reichl's weekly newsletter I received via email today, she discussed a technique for a no-cook freezer jam, which lasts up to a year in the freezer.

Specifically, it uses a Ball pectin product and Ball plastic freezer jars. The information can be found here.

It seems so easy and makes me wonder if anyone has had the opportunity to try any jam or preserve using these products, or any other method for frozen jams or preserves, and if so, how were the results?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've done large batches of raspberry and strawberry jam using Bernardin Freezer Jam Pectin. I like the results because it gives a very fresh, uncooked flavor to the jam, and I can cut the sugar down significantly (not a fan of super-sweet jams). Tastes something like a thickened puree of fresh fruit mixed with sugar.

I've also simply frozen small batches of jam that were made using Chistine Ferber's method (usually no added pectin). Also a good way to go.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I've made freezer strawberry jam and peach jam using Sure-Jell pectin, the version for less or no sugar added recipes. Their strawberry jam recipe uses 4 cups crushed strawberries to 3 cups sugar, and the peach uses 4 cups finely chopped peaches to 2.5 cups sugar. I freeze it in one-cup sized Glad containers, but I put about 6 ounces of jam in each to allow for expansion when the jam freezes. The strawberry jam I made last year and this year came out lovely-- it set up nicely and has a wonderful flavor. Using it in mid-winter is like a lovely taste of summer. For some reason though the peach jam I made last year and this year just didn't set up. It still tastes wonderfully peachy, but it's more a sauce rather than jam.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Strangely enough, I was wondering the very same thing this week, and ended up making freezer peach jam last night with the Ball freezer pectin and containers. It was very fast - took me about an hour from fruit prep to finish, and I love how easy it is. We don't eat much jam at home, but I do like to preserve peaches and nectarines to mix with my yogurt throughout the year.

I love the freezer jars - they look like they can be reused for a variety of things. But I didn't like the pectin at all. It tastes a little funny, and didn't set well. I think I'll try SureJell next.