• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland Restaurants: Reviews & Reccomendations

At Cacao, I think I ate one of each from Oriol Balageur's line, and my favourite was the corn nut praline truffle. I do like the drinking chocolate as well. If also like the salted caramel chocolates from Sagahun.

I didn't really care for Sel Gris.

Mmmmm...I love the salted caramels chocolates from Sahagun. I also really love the Pepitapapa.

(as an aside, we're still waiting for Taiwan, hint hint :raz: )

• 3 months later...

I'm going to be in Portland this weekend and would love to get some recommendations for places that are solo diner friendly. I'm thinking of cozying up to the bar at Andina one night, and then for night two, I'm looking for something else that is uniquely Portland. I'm staying downtown, but don't mind driving out of the way for a good meal.

Thanks!

I'm going to be in Portland this weekend and would love to get some recommendations for places that are solo diner friendly.  I'm thinking of cozying up to the bar at Andina one night, and then for night two, I'm looking for something else that is uniquely Portland.  I'm staying downtown, but don't mind driving out of the way for a good meal.

Thanks!

Park Kitchen!! They have a bar and I had one of the best meals in a long time there in Feb. Everything is fresh and very inovative!! Laid back atmosphere with great food, Friendly staff.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

Well I didn't have much luck on the shopping front, but I certainly ate well over the weekend. On Friday night I went to Pok Pok for dinner and managed to save a bit of room for dessert at Pix. Saturday night I had pre-dinner cocktails at Teardrop Lounge & District, and then from there I headed over to Andina for some tapas. Last but not least, I went to Clyde Common for a light meal on Sunday night. All of these places were vastly different, but I enjoyed each of them in their own way. I also stumbled upon the Portland Farmers Market on Saturday morning. What a wonderful place! You guys are very lucky indeed :-)

Where did you end up?  We enjoyed  a fantastic dining experience at Lucier in Portland last night.  Lunch at New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro in Talent was pretty great, also!  :)

How long have they been serving lunch at New Sammy's? Get any of that Rogue Valley Blue?

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Just a quick note to say thanks to Portland folks who posted recommendations. My girlfriend and I came out to the city for a wedding and used this thread to get dining ideas. We ended up selecting Veritable Quandary for brunch, and all I can say is "Wow". Great food. Smart staff. And brunch eats were very satisfying.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

• 2 months later...

Spent a week in Portland for work earlier this month and am adding my experiences to those already listed.

Clyde Common: ate here twice, both times my choice. The first evening was a group dinner that I'd planned long distance. Great meal and even the less culinarily ambitious among the group enjoyed the meal (after I'd talked them down off the ceiling at the idea of sweetbread ravioli or rabbit liver). I returned the next night with a colleague who hadn't managed to make the first meal knowing that she'd enjoy it, and she did. Strongly recommended.

Southpark: Dinner here was arranged by some corporate sorts on the advice of the Hilton concierge. It was Sunday, so I was less than excited by the table's decision to start with raw oysters (though I did eat some, and I didn't die as a result). I wasn't especially hungry (especially not after the oysters), so had squash ravioli with sage as my main. Appallingly poor quality: thick, doughy pasta, unevenly cooked. I managed to choke down a couple of them and declined dessert. One of the others got the lamb tagine, which he ate. Maybe it was tastier than it looked, maybe he was being polite. The others got fish and raved about it, but I'm not sure I trust their opinions. This restaurant was absolutely packed, even at 6:00 on a Sunday. Not recommended.

El Gaucho: Another corporate dinner. Unimpressive space (women's WC downright unpleasant), food uneven. I started with a tomato and mozzarella salad that featured cottony tomatoes and too firm mozzarella, followed by king crab legs. I ordered the latter in part because they'd been talked up by the waiter, and in part because I wasn't feeling like eating steak. They were fine, but not amazing ("delicacy" was the word the waiter had used) and the order of two legs was huge. At least one of the steaks was returned to kitchen as being way overcooked (and it was---I could tell from two seats away, even in the gloomy lighting). Nothing to clean my hands offered after crab remains removed---no finger bowl, no hot towel, not even the little packets of lemony wipes that you get at downmarket fish places. The white stretch limo with a rent-a-date leaning against it that was waiting outside (for another party? for anybody who happened along?) put the perfect touch on the evening. Not recommended.

Heathman: had a drink in the bar one afternoon. Cool old space, nicely maintained. Older crowd, and no nibbles offered. Nuts available for purchase.

Koji: had lunch three separate times at Koji near the Hilton (I gather there are other branches). Competently executed Japanese standards, reasonably quality fish. Recommended

Can you pee in the ocean?

Spent a week in Portland for work earlier this month and am adding my experiences to those already listed.

Clyde Common: ate here twice, both times my choice. The first evening was a group dinner that I'd planned long distance. Great meal and even the less culinarily ambitious among the group enjoyed the meal (after I'd talked them down off the ceiling at the idea of sweetbread ravioli or rabbit liver). I returned the next night with a colleague who hadn't managed to make the first meal knowing that she'd enjoy it, and she did. Strongly recommended.

Southpark: Dinner here was arranged by some corporate sorts on the advice of the Hilton concierge. It was Sunday, so I was less than excited by the table's decision to start with raw oysters (though I did eat some, and I didn't die as a result). I wasn't especially hungry (especially not after the oysters), so had squash ravioli with sage as my main. Appallingly poor quality: thick, doughy pasta, unevenly cooked. I managed to choke down a couple of them and declined dessert.  One of the others got the lamb tagine, which he ate. Maybe it was tastier than it looked, maybe he was being polite. The others got fish and raved about it, but I'm not sure I trust their opinions. This restaurant was absolutely packed, even at 6:00 on a Sunday. Not recommended.

El Gaucho: Another corporate dinner. Unimpressive space (women's WC downright unpleasant), food uneven. I started with a tomato and mozzarella salad that featured cottony tomatoes and too firm mozzarella, followed by king crab legs. I ordered the latter in part because they'd been talked up by the waiter, and in part because I wasn't feeling like eating steak. They were fine, but not amazing ("delicacy" was the word the waiter had used) and the order of two legs was huge. At least one of the steaks was returned to kitchen as being way overcooked (and it was---I could tell from two seats away, even in the gloomy lighting). Nothing to clean my hands offered after crab remains removed---no finger bowl, no hot towel, not even the little packets of lemony wipes that you get at downmarket fish places. The white stretch limo with a rent-a-date leaning against it that was waiting outside (for another party? for anybody who happened along?) put the perfect touch on the evening. Not recommended.

Heathman: had a drink in the bar one afternoon. Cool old space, nicely maintained. Older crowd, and no nibbles offered. Nuts available for purchase.

Koji: had lunch three separate times at Koji near the Hilton (I gather there are other branches). Competently executed Japanese standards, reasonably quality fish. Recommended

Doesn't sound like it was a stellar experience for you. Shame you were not able to get to Toro Bravo or Sel Gris, or Teardrop on this trip.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Had a really wonderful meal at 50 Plates on Tuesday night. The menu concept is wonderful and comforting. The only things that were disappointing were the salads. The clam chowder hash is brilliant, a deconstructed chowder turned into a hash. I will definitley be going back soon as I didn't have my camera.

Rocky

Doesn't sound like it was a stellar experience for you.  Shame you were not able to get to Toro Bravo or Sel Gris, or Teardrop on this trip.

Compared to my usual work trips it was actually well above average. The meals at Clyde Common were excellent, and Koji was perfectly acceptable.

I have eaten a lot of not very good food in the company of colleagues, I'm afraid.

Can you pee in the ocean?