• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rendering Suet

Dejah

English friends tell me that the best fish'n'chips is deep fried in beef fat.

I just picked up 5 lbs from Soby's - for free.

Now, how do I render this?

Mmmm . . . free beef fat . . . we're not talking about shoplifting are we? <smarmy smile emoticon>

Does it look like suet, all pelletized, or is a big sack of big white waxy chunks complete with membranes and other tissues?

I didn't know you had Sobey's in Manitoba, I'm a big fan.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I render beef fat all the time. It will take quite a while though so be prepared. Over as low a heat as you can get, put the fat in a large pot. If you are using a gas stove, you may need a flame tamer over the burner at some point. Once it melts, it will bubble and spit quite a bit. When the bubbling and spitting stop, you've rendered out all the water. If you've got fat that's got membranes and stuff on it, you'll want to strain it through cheesecloth at the end, and you're good to go.

I store mine in a mason jar in the fridge. You've got 5 pounds so you may get a couple of mason jars out of that, so you can store one in the freezer.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks, Peter and Marlene.

The fat I got was trimmed from other cuts they prepared. It's mainly long pieces from steaks, etc - solid white waxy fat. There doesn't seem to be any membranes, meat or anything else on them.

From google, some instructions said to dice the fat first. Is that necessary, or can I just stack them into a big heavy pot?

Our former IGA stores were changed to Soby's. I like their meat, and always watch for their Sterling Silver sales. A couple months ago, they had a sale on prime rib. I ordered a 6 rib one, several 2 ribs, and single rib. Enjoyed the 6 rib last Sunday, and the single ribs are perfect for the kids cooking away from home.

Last week was T-bones on for 4.99/lb. Good eats!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I never bother to dice it first, but like chopping chocolate, a dice will help it melt faster.

I use my beef fat for all kinds of things, not just fries. I'll use it for yorkies when I don't have enough drippings, melt some to roast potatoes in, and I always add a bit to my roasting pan when roasting a prime rib and potatoes together!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It took me 8 hours to render five pounds of beef fat. The crispy bits were very tasty, so I dump them before I was tempted to make myself sick. :laugh:

gallery_13838_3935_16599.jpg

Then I used my old restaurant batter recipe and did up some cod, shrimp, zuchinni, carrots, and cauliflower. I wish I had some broccoli florets as they make the best battered vegetable. The flavour from the beef fat took me back to the fish'n'chips we enjoyed at Whitby on the North Sea coast!

gallery_13838_3935_30920.jpg

gallery_13838_3935_17247.jpg

The fat was cooled, poured into quart jars and into the fridge. I think I'll have to do up a roast and yorkshire puddings soon! :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 7 years later...

How do you get rid of the water, when you render suet in it?

I've rendered suet on several occasions, and have always simply tossed it into a pan over very low heat, and let it do its thing.

Yesterday, I got a fresh clump from the slaughterhouse. When they asked how much I wanted, I said about 200g would do nicely. The butcher strolled in from the lot with a roughly 5kg/10lb bag (no idea how much, because it was too heavy to weigh). Apart from the thrill of lugging home a gigantic bag of warm, bloody fat on public transit (because of course I did), I kind of wondered what the hell I'd render this in.

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 16.28.25.png

When I got home, I chucked the bag in the freezer, because I just didn't want to handle that much slithering gloop, and a firm clump would be easier to work with.

I hauled the fat out this morning (and attempted to weigh it, but it was too heavy for the scale to register). It had set up kind of pointily, settling into the corners of the plastic bag. I managed to cram it into the largest pot here, but between the size, the shape, and the fact that it was rock hard so I couldn't really trim it, only one pointed bit ended up in contact with the bottom of the pot.

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 16.28.44.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 16.29.20.png

A couple of years back there was a discussion of rendering suet in boiling water, so I boiled some water, and poured that in, to speed things up a little.

After six hours of this, the fat has reached this stage:

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 16.29.33.png

Now I'm wondering, how do you dry the fat completely? Do you just boil off the water?

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Yup, keep simmering.  It looks like it has a ways to go yet because there are still lumps of fat and the remnants are not brown.  If you can get in there an break some of the larger pieces up the rendering will go a lot faster.

• Like 1

regular beef FAT (as opposed to real suet or kidney suet) renders more easily when ground coarsely. 

I grind it with a meat grinder and pack it into 2 - 3 pound portions and keep in the freezer.

I render it in the oven, in a deep roasting pan or French or Dutch oven starting with enough water to cover the bottom of the roaster by 1/2 to 1 inch  and the roaster goes into the cold oven and I set the temp for 250°F. and the timer for two hours to start with. 

At the end of that time I stir and turn the fat solids and add more water if necessary and put it back for another two hours. 

At this point I draw off most of the liquid into a deep bowl and leave it to cool - add some more water to the roasting pan and put it back in the oven for another hour or so -  to get the last of the fat. 

After the first batch of fat has cooled, the bowl goes into the fridge so the fat will solidify and it can then be easily separated from any water in the bottom of the bowl. 

Kidney suet should also be rendered in water and can be rendered on the stove top over very low heat, but I prefer the oven method and at a lower temp, 200 to 225 at most.  I just break it into chunks and chop till it looks about pea-sized. 

You can also use a Crockpot or slow cooker.  There are distinct advantage to this because you don't really have to watch it.

There are a couple of blogs that discuss this in detail.  I will try to find the most recent entry that has some excellent advice.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've used the MC method quite successfully for rendering lard, and if I had suet to render I would do it the same way.  Though I confess the thought of ten pounds of it gives me pause.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thanks, guys.

This is what went down: By midnight last night, the pot was full of a blend of melted fat and small, unmelted lumps, and I was a wreck. With no defined end in sight, it seemed likely that I'd melt down before the rest of the fat did, so I decided to just work with what was there, and with a combination of a retired tea towel, the colander insert to that pasta pot, and a food mill, ran the whole load into various containers.

I ended up with 3210g/7lbs of rendered suet, and a lot of mess and waste (clumps of blood vessels and connective tissue; I'd picked out the adrenal glands earlier on):

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 11.06.29.png

(The small portion in baking paper is 200g, the amount I wanted when I marched myself into the slaughterhouse the other day; if I were to use all this suet for the annual plum pudding only, I'd be set for the next 16 years.)

I don't have a sous vide cooker, since there are too few things it'd be used for to make it worh while, but in the small hours of this morning, I really felt I could've used one.

Freezing this first was a tactical error; I should have just put it in the refrigerator, so I could've carved it up into smaller portions, and perhaps even not rendered it all in one go.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Oh dear, Mjx....your photo of that blobby mess of frozen fat rearing up out of your stock pot made me laugh so hard!

Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with 3kg of rendered fat!

If you happen to have a pressure cooker, that's the way to go.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!