• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The End is Near

It is now fully official – certified stamps of approval, all governmental bureaucracy seemingly satisfied, contracts registered: Hooters is going to open its first Israeli branch (at Ramat Poleg, near Netanya) in October, 2007.

All of which is fair enough, I suppose. America, Switzerland, Greece, Germany, Australia China and even Korea have them. Why should we Israelis be left out in the cold?. After all, we have all sorts of things. We have Nile Fever, we have McDonalds, and we even have a few poisonous snakes, so why not Hooters? And who knows, it may even be fun. Vulgar fun perhaps, family fun perhaps, but fun nevertheless… well, perhaps. I

In all seriousness - come October I shall don my critic's cap and visit.

Interesting topic title you've penned there, Rogov.

But it is not the end that Hooter's is all about. Or so I hear.

I daresay you will find things you enjoy there.

I do have to wonder though, whether your review will be published in the Arts and Leisure section, the Dining Out section, or whether there will be a new section created called "Plastic Arts" that covers just this sort of thing.

But . . . will it be kosher?    :wink:

Rather imagine that the *Rabbanut of Israel will have to grant it their (silent) blessing ... :hmmm:

*The Chief Rabbinate of Israel is the supreme Jewish religious governing body in the state of Israel. The Rabbinate is the halakhic authority for the state, and controls many aspects of life in the Jewish state. Issues under the jurisdiction of the Chief Rabbinate include Jewish marriages, Jewish divorce, Jewish burrials, Kashrut and kosher certification, olim, supervision of Jewish holy sites, working with various mikvaot and yeshivot, and overseeing Israeli Rabbanical courts.

source

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I am very suprised that the ultra-orthodox are not protesting this.While I myself think they would be wrong to do so ,I am suprised that they are not marching or in other ways protesting. BTW, Mr. Rogov, I wanted to let you know that you are my favorite food critic and I loved your piece on molecular gastronomy in Israel.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I am very suprised that the ultra-orthodox are not protesting this.While I myself think they would be wrong to do so ,I am suprised that they are not marching or in other ways protesting. BTW, Mr. Rogov, I wanted to let you know that  you are my favorite food critic and I loved your piece on molecular gastronomy in Israel.

Anything goes in Netanya.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Meanwhile the Hooters at the largest shopping mall in the Capitol District of New York State appears to have closed!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

To respond to a few of the points and questions raised so far:

Hooters will not be kosher. Considering that they will be serving calamari and shrimps that might be a wee bit difficult to arrange.

No fear on that level though as some 78% of all restaurants in Israel are not-kosher

One might think that the Chief Rabbinate is a kind of ultimate authority but that is merely an illusion for many of the ultra-Orthodox ignore that body as being heartily anti-religious and turn instead to this or that specific rabbi. The bottle of orange juice that may be "kosher" for some ain't gonna be kosher enough for others. (One of the reasons I so often refer to Israel as Disney-Land Middle-East.

When Hooters does open I will go there with a full sense of humor and an even fuller sense of hope. Heck, even I like the chips (French fries) at McDonald's. Who is to say that the chicken wings here won't be godlike, that the fried calamari will be orgasmic, and, if the truth be told that most of the waitresses are nothing more than very nice young women earning their keep while doing their undergraduate studies?

The review will appear in its usual place - "Galleria" of HaAretz newspaper. I promise to post a link the moment it appears after the place opens in October. Truth is, I'm actually curious.

Who is to say that the chicken wings here won't be godlike, that the fried calamari will be orgasmic,

I sort of doubt it. :wink:

But anyway, what a wonderful opportunity to think of a good title for the piece while you approach the date. You've already come up with one excellent title in the topic line above, just imagine how many more possibilities there are.

If there were a contest for it, I'd submit:

Suffering (With a Smile)

Melissa, Hi.....

In full seriousness, the restaurant critic that does not enter a restaurant with at least the hope that what is to follow may be rewarding should find another profession. Going in with an advanced bias about the humor or "style" of the place is one issue. One cannot, however, pre-judge the food. Something akin I suppose to the right to be thought "innocent until proven guilty".

Oh yes....for those not fully informed of the Hebrew language (some 99.97% of the population of the world), "hishtagata?" loosely translated means "have you lost your marbles?"

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

• 1 month later...

Daniel

Did you try the Hooters Wings yet?

:rolleyes:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tracey, Hi....

Not yet. The Hooters branch is just in the process of running-in now. I want to give them a bit of time before visiting. (I think that critics who visit restaurants within the first few days, weeks or sometimes even a month more are doing a disservice to themselves, their readers and the restaurants... No fear though....I shall be there and as soon as my review is published I will post a link here.

To respond to a few of the points and questions raised so far:

Hooters will not be kosher.  Considering that they will be serving calamari and shrimps that might be a wee bit difficult to arrange.

No fear on that level though as some 78% of all restaurants in Israel are not-kosher

One might think that the Chief Rabbinate is a kind of ultimate authority but that is merely an illusion for many of the ultra-Orthodox ignore that body as being heartily anti-religious and turn instead to this or that specific rabbi.  The bottle of orange juice that may be "kosher" for some ain't gonna be kosher enough for others.  (One of the reasons I so often refer to Israel as Disney-Land Middle-East.

When Hooters does open I will go there with a full sense of humor and an even fuller sense of hope.  Heck, even I like the chips (French fries) at McDonald's.  Who is to say that the chicken wings here won't be godlike, that the fried calamari will be orgasmic, and, if the truth be told that most of the waitresses are nothing more than very nice young women earning their keep while doing their undergraduate studies?

The review will appear in its usual place - "Galleria" of HaAretz newspaper.  I promise to post a link the moment it appears after the place opens in October.  Truth is, I'm actually curious.

You should be safe from suicide bombers---they will be afraid to come near it!!

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.