• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dean McCord (Varmint) Retires After Long Service

Chris Amirault

Host, manager, general counsel, and long-time member Dean McCord is retiring after a long volunteer service in the eGullet Society. Much that makes the Society what it is bears the mark of his efforts, insight, and hard work, and for that we all owe him a great debt. We'll still be seeing a lot of him around these parts, advocating for intelligent approaches to pig preparation and for passionately supporting the cuisine he knows and loves.

Please share your thoughts and thanks here.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Wow! Talk about the end of an era. Dean is the person who originally recruited me to become an eG staffer back in 2004. Not only were his expertise and guidance always useful to me during my time of service but the friendship we've built over the years transcends our involvement here. Of course, I'm truly grateful to the eGS because without it, our paths would likely have never crossed.

In my mind, Mr. Varmint is responsible for 2 of the greatest culinary gatherings ever organized under this roof: Varmint's Pig Pickin', Would ya come? and Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2. The amount of work and dedication he put into both events was remarkable and I'll always be grateful to him for having put forth the mammoth effort and endless hospitality behind the events.

Dean's a phenomenal person and the eGS is so lucky to have had his contributions.

Take care, Dean and thanks again!

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Dean, you're the best. Your humor, hard work, and generosity are unmatched here at eG. And the serious hilarity at your first pig pickin' will be with me to the end of my days. Damn, that was a good time.

I look forward to having a drink with you as a civilian next time you're in DC. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I loved following the story of the kitchen during its planning as well as the construction.

Now that I'm in the midst of one myself, I realize how much I learned from all of the comments and tinkering of the layout.

Thank you Varmint and everyone who participated in those topics.

jayne

Geez, I'm feeling old. Along with Fifi, Varmint's thoughtful and knowledgeable postings lured me into eG way back when. True, highlights were the Pig Pickin' as well as the kitchen revovations, but Varmint's advice in numerous threads were always pearls of wisdom and humor. Thank you, Dean!

Few have contributed more to the eGullet Society over the years than Dean. Your retirement is well earned!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Wow, Dean. You've been a mainstay of the organization for as long as I've been hanging out here, and it's good to know you think the place can go on without your guidance now.

The Kitchen Renovation thread (was yours the first?), the Pig Pickin's which I only saw vicariously, the participation and encouragement during my blog...those are 3 highlights for me. Actually, I've just enjoyed reading whenever you posted.

I do hope you'll still be around, just enjoying yourself instead of working? Thanks so much for all the work and help you've done, getting this place going so that amateurs like me could find it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Reckon the only way to send Dean into retirement is Pig Pickin' #3

I will happily second this suggestion. :smile:

Dean, your wit, wisdom and hospitality know no bounds. Truly. And your long suffering wife is a saint in my book and will always remain so for allowing boatloads of carnivorous strangers to descend upon your lovely home and leave gutted pigs in the bathtub, at least temporarily. You have a blessed and lovely family, and I only hope that this means you'll be able to spend more quality time with them. They deserve it. And of course you know that you're obligated to let me know when you're visiting Philadelphia so I can make an attempt to return the hospitality. Perhaps a history trip to the touristy spots for the little Vermin as well as a tour of the better cocktail spots for their parents?? Just name the date and time and I'll be there...

Best wishes on future endeavors and enjoy some well deserved time to yourself.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ive enjoyed my interactions with Dean, his pig pickin#2, and his great sense of humor! And he's a class act. You WILL be missed, Dean!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

As a new host, I haven't had much interaction with Dean. But over the years, I've enjoyed his endeavors and posts immensely.

Enjoy your new status as an Emeritus member of the eGullet Society, Dean, and keep pickin'!!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A remarkable person. Cool head, kind heart and, always, a wise hand on the tiller.

Thanks, Dean.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks, everyone for your very kind words. I've had nothing but fun as a volunteer with the eGS, but I realized over the past several months that I just didn't have the time to do a good job anymore. Thus, as difficult as it was, I had to move on. However, in many ways, this change of position to a member is really a promotion, as it is our members which make this organization so great.

As far as a 3rd pig pickin' is concerned, I just cooked for 240 people this past weekend: a 155 pound pig, 16 shoulders and 24 chickens. But you had to be a friend of my in-laws to get an invitation -- it was their 50th anniversary. Thus, it will be quite awhile before I get the energy to do it again. I won't say never (although Mrs. Varmint might), but it won't happen any time soon, unfortunately. But if someone else wants to host one, I'm happy to lend them my name as sponsor. :wink:

See y'all on the forums, and give me a shout if you're ever in this neck of the woods.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dean has been a friend, a mentor, and a source of good entertainment for me for a very long time. eGullet has been lucky to have him aboard. I wish him the best.

But as for this pig pickin business...

As soon as he learns that taking a pig that he has lovingly cooked for 18 hours, perfectly, and then chopping it to bits, mixing up all of the meat, and then pouring some sour vinegar based concoction all over it is not only wrong, but should be a crime, he'll be a much better and infinitely happier man.

Good luck with the soccer thing. I'm sure that you are training future Olympians and will get much credit for it down the road.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

[...]I had to move on.  However, in many ways, this change of position to a member is really a promotion, as it is our members which make this organization so great.[...]

It's a tribute to you that you've so eloquently expressed this sentiment. And therefore, enjoy your promotion!

Michael aka "Pan"

Ha! When I heard he was running and getting healthy, I figured he was not long for this world. You're a lightweight, McCord. (And good for you. :biggrin: )

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I hope that E Gullet gives you a fat retirement bonus and a gold Rolex...you deserve it! :laugh:

Now you can take that trip to Greenville..........

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Varmint, we who have already died on eGullet salute you! I am sending you this message from the afterlife. Turn back, before it is too late! Here in the netherworld, there is nothing to eat but Smithfield's Chicken N Bar B Q (and NO SWEET TEA)! And, oh my God, the wines! Nothing but Two Buck Chuck, Yellow Tail and Gallo Hearty Burgundy, which, I believe, isn't even made on Earth anymore...

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

Tarnation, Son!

Here I go an move all the way from the frozen northland (Richmond) back home to Greensboro, an you have to up and ree-tire??

DANG!

Well, maybe we can still get to meet you over a plate of pig sometime when we're down in the Triangle, or you're up in the Triad.

Truth be know, ya done good here, and made this pea patch a whole lot better place with all your hard work.

Take a bow, you deserve it

- TT

Tom Tyson

• 3 weeks later...
But as for this pig pickin business...

As soon as he learns that taking a pig that he has lovingly cooked for 18 hours, perfectly, and then chopping it to bits, mixing up all of the meat, and then pouring some sour vinegar based concoction all over it is not only wrong, but should be a crime, he'll be a much better and infinitely happier man.

Am I dreaming, or do we have a bbq throwdown in the works? Stupidly, I skipped Pig Pickin' #2. I would not miss Varmint vs. Mayhaw Man in that department.