• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stove-top griddle

aliénor

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

you need one, from what I read

My apartment is second floor.  The downstairs apartment has a cellar.  Consolation:  my apartment has a "den", bar sink, and half bathroom.  No food is stored in the den.  Though glancing about I perceive four liters of La Favorite rhum.  (Most rhum lives in the living room.) 

My stove top griddle is in the dining room.  Though these days I prefer electric.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, Kim Shook said:

Bumping this topic up hoping that someone in the intervening 15 years has some more advice for me.

I used the stove top griddle I referenced above this morning, for Significant Eater's birthday...

IMG_6419.thumb.jpeg.e40c5d1f498a9e8e818cfcd05374a7c0.jpeg

And made plain, blueberry, and banana (for me) pancakes.

IMG_6416.thumb.jpeg.2b6e5d28198f6ca509645944efd20591.jpeg

You can see the pan heats up pretty evenly. You can see the cook can't make a circular pancake.  These are bigger pancakes than I usually do; the griddle measures 10.5" square. 

And since the pan was out...

IMG_6422.thumb.jpeg.48fe13424f8a64dc9a9e8c29ed6b5fbc.jpeg

I griddled up prosciutto and cheese sandwiches for lunch.

@rotuts will note Campari branded tomatoes, purchased you-know-where.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

And grilled artichoke?   or pickled?    or...

There's a grilled one, and a marinated one - both bought at D iPalo's, imported from Italy.  They're really good, and easy. With the price of artichokes here, practically a bargain. 

Of course, the problem one has when going to Di Palo's, is that's not all you're tempted to buy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 1 month later...

@weinoo - would the square pan hold 4 sandwiches made with standard sized bread? 

I'm definitely in the market for a stovetop model.  I made sliders last night on my electric griddle:

IMG_9337.jpg.b69e8ac953b9201906cde840634fd224.jpg

Mr. Kim washed the cooking plates, but didn't pick up the electrical part.  When I picked it up this morning, I saw this:

IMG_9342.jpg.f41fcecd30a2df4ff3fa4f9ed0ab0c3b.jpg

That whole darker area upper left is a grease slick.  And this was under the cutting board:

IMG_9343.thumb.jpg.940b0f2bc82768430a03a8450e65ba2d.jpg

It's obviously run in between the counter and the stove, so we'll be pulling the stove out and cleaning this weekend.  Apparently the grease channels overflowed before the grease had a chance to reach the little slide-in grease cup, which was NOT full when I pulled it last night.  Sigh.  Off to Bed, Bath, and Beyond this weekend, I guess.  😠

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

33 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@weinoo - would the square pan hold 4 sandwiches made with standard sized bread? 

Mr. Kim really needs to do a better job!! And I did this for you...

885387950_IMG_6822(1).thumb.jpeg.e88bdb1591768d862dc8703fb7e19227.jpeg

This is Dave's Killer thin-sliced bread; ymmv.'

This pan measures 10 3/4" square.

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I recently made sheet pan pancakes for a crowd, and it worked beautifully. There were 6 of us, and some were what you might call big eaters. Take your usual pancake recipe, pour it into a well-greased sheet pan with 1" sides, sprinkle with fruit, chocolate chips, etc., and bake until puffed and browned. Serve with the usuals--maple syrup, butter, jam, yogurt, stewed fruits. Cut the big flat pancake into smaller servings. Beats standing at a hot stove making pancakes for your entire family, or stashing them in a warm oven until you run out of batter, at which point the first ones have dried out. In retrospect I think I thinned the pancake batter a little to make it easier to pour and spread in the sheet pan.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"