• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

23 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

having seen pictures of weinoo’s steel.   He got the half one, as opposed to mine, that may be a better way to go. 

I do have the half one, and also the larger Modernist Cuisine baking steel (double sided), which lives in the oven. At 25 lbs., I found it annoyingly heavy to move in and out of the oven when needed for use as a griddle/plancha, so I invested in the smaller one as well.

FWIQ, I also have the giant Lodge cast iron, two burner reversible griddle/grill.  As @paulraphael mentions, when it's used, whatever seasoning might've been present tends to get burned off on the side facing the fire. It resides somewhere in a closet, as even giving it away became a problem. I think its best use is as a plancha, outside on a real grill.

AND, I have the Cuisinart griddler, which really works nicely for pancakes and panini, but also a pain in the ass to store.

weinoo

weinoo

18 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

having seen pictures of weinoo’s steel.   He got the half one, as opposed to mine, that may be a better way to go. 

I do have the half one, and also the larger Modernist Cuisine baking steel (double sided), which lives in the oven. At 25 lbs., I found it annoyingly heavy to move in and out of the oven when needed for use as a griddle/plancha, so I invested in the smaller oee as well.

FWIQ, I also have the giant Lodge cast iron, two burner reversible griddle/grill.  As @paulraphael mentions, when it's used, whatever seasoning might've been present tends to get burned off on the side facing the fire. It resides somewhere in a closet, as even giving it away became a problem. I think its best use is as a plancha, outside on a real grill.