• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Artisan Puff Pastry

mukki

I saw the canneles last week at my TJ's, but not by Sunday afternoon when I went to pick some up with the weekly groceries. They must have been out.

From the picture on the box, I can tell you one thing almost for sure. The canneles on the box were baked in a silicone flexipan, NOT a copper mold. We DID test flexipans at Bay Bread this spring. I personally thought they were awful, especially because we were not waxing them, just pan spray. The edges of the flutes came out too sharp, and they actually took way longer to bake than the copper molds.

I still want to taste the TJ's canneles, though to see how they are. Just have to wait for them to be back in stock. I doubt anything will compare, though, to getting a fresh one right after the bake at work.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

• 3 months later...
Is there any verdict yet on the TJ canneles?  I saw them in the freezer case last week.

They are quite creamy inside and toasted on the outside. While they don't compare with the best I have had fresh, they are better than the worst I have had from a bakery. I like to keep a box on hand for desperate cravings. The price is pretty good too.

Is there any verdict yet on the TJ canneles?  I saw them in the freezer case last week.

They are quite creamy inside and toasted on the outside. While they don't compare with the best I have had fresh, they are better than the worst I have had from a bakery. I like to keep a box on hand for desperate cravings. The price is pretty good too.

Thanks. I think we'll pick some up.

Having never had the real thing (and never even knowing such lovelies existed before jgarner53 wrote about them), I have to say I like TJ's version. I do realize they're probably not the best ever, but they are good, at least to my uneducated palate. I'm on my 3rd box...

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Having never had the real thing (and never even knowing such lovelies existed before jgarner53 wrote about them), I have to say I like TJ's version. I do realize they're probably not the best ever, but they are good, at least to my uneducated palate. I'm on my 3rd box...

That's where I learned about them, too! And my friend mentioned them last week. I wonder if I can get good fresh ones in Chicago anywhere?

• 11 months later...

We've used TJ's Puff Pastry for a while now. It is certainly quite easy to use, no unfolding, rolling, docking, etc. and inexpensive to boot. The problem is I can't find it anymore. I went o the local store and the stock clerk said they had run out of "last years" supply and they didn't know if they were getting any for this year.

Now, once I got past the shock of learning I was using a frozen product with almost a year of age on it, I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to find it any more.

Anyone know if this is true?

Dan

At one of the stores here (Atlanta), we couldn't find it -- after preaching about it to our students, of course. The clerk at the information counter said "We're not carrying it anymore." I don't know if that's a chain-wide decision or not, but subsequent searches at other TJs in the city also came up puffless.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

We have some precious stash in our freezer. But a recent trip to Wegman's (a "little" Wegman's, no less) had some Wegman's brand puff pastry in the freezer section. I read the ingredients, and it seems to be all-butter. I hope it's here to stay and not just a seasonal thing.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

i know. sadly, it's true. doubly sad for me, as i just wrote the "I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook"which uses it multiple times. Before the book went to print, I checked and double-checked, and the TJ computer (accessed by a manager at both stores) read: Seasonal. Returning in Q4". With that assurance, I left the recipes in my book (along with caveats to hoard ingredients such as this). Imagine my dismay when, once Q4 arrived, the computer "fortune cookie" changed to "Discontinued. Refer customer to pie crust." Pie crust? Well, the TJ pie crust IS good, and they have recently reformulated it to be butterier and flakier than its previous incarnation, as well as rolled it out (as the puff was) rather than folding it. But pie crust ain't puff.

Sometimes a protest campaign is effective with TJ's.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I've been checking the freezer section twice a week for the last 3 months. At least now I know to stop checking :(

And referring customers to pie crusts? What's up with that? They might as well refer customers to green beans or potato chips because that's how much pie crust and puff pastry have in common. Horseshoes and hand grenades, folks. Horseshoes and hand grenades.

I've seen TJs products get discontinued because of sourcing issues (potstickers) and then come back when a new source was located. I wouldn't get your hopes up, but, it is possible.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting a dead thread...

I love the Tj's puff pastry for savory baking! I mix up tuna, cheddar, and both raw and sliced boiled eggs, some salt and pepper and sometimes pepporincinis, and roll it up into a log... Served with tapatio, guys love it! Good for when we have guests and I don't want to make individual breakfasts, or for an afternoon holdover snack.

Also, new Zealand style meat pies!

Great stuff. Glad it's still around, and I think $4 for two sheets in CA.