• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric heat guns

alwang

Just curious: has anyone had any experience using one of those electric heat guns you can buy in hardware stores for cooking appications? They're usually pretty cheap ($15-30), go to temperatures of up to 1000F (some with adjustable settings), and don't require any separate fuel.

I've never used one, but I'm wondering if they might be a better alternative to a propane torch for things like creme brulee or searing meats after sous vide. I was a little irritated when the propane canister for my torch just happened to go empty in the middle of a job the other night.

Thoughts?

---

al wang

I use my heatgun to roast green coffee. I once tried using it to sear a steak with disappointing results. I would be concerned that the airflow from the heatgun would blow off a sugar topping on a brulee before it had a chance to caramelize.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I use my heatgun to roast green coffee. I once tried using it to sear a steak with disappointing results. I would be concerned that the airflow from the heatgun would blow off a sugar topping on a brulee before it had a chance to caramelize.

I used the heat gun to roast coffee as well a few years ago. Did it for about a year. I've tried it to roast peppers but it didn't do as well as placing them on the open flame of my rangetop of directly on the electric burner of my old stove.

Just curious: has anyone had any experience using one of those electric heat guns you can buy in hardware stores for cooking appications?

Um . . . the "heat gun" link above refers to a Pentagon report on US Air Force missiles.

I imagine you are talking about a somewhat less powerful tool.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack