• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating around the World (in San Fran)

the g-man

On our trip to San Francisco this weekend, we have lined up a sampling of different food cultures:

Italian at A16

Greek at Kokkari

Vietnamese at Slanted Door

Burmese (Myanmarian?) at Burma Superstar!

Here is the rub: I would like to fit in a mexican lunch. Needing some advice on a Mexican spot. I don't mind if it is a hole in the wall, taco truck, or sit down restaurant, but we would like to go someplace authentic. We don't mind going a little out of the way, but we are staying downtown in Union Square without a rental car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Your best bet is probably is probably Mijita in the Ferry Plaza. Since you'll be there anyway getting Rancho Gordo beans, you should be fine.

Union Square is mostly chain restaurants with nothing exceptional saving the oyster bar at Cafe Monaco and the dining room at Campton Place.

The slanted door and burma superstar are both fairly heavily americanized versions of their respective cuisine. Carolyn, when was the last time you were at Campton Place? They've been going through chef after chef and from all accounts the food isn't worth seeking out. If you're doing the americanized ethnic tour, Mijita is a fine choice. Personally, I'd head across the bridge and eat at the taco trucks on International Blvd - there's a fresh churros truck there also. I'd also swap out the slanted door for Pagolac and Larkin Express deli for burma superstar.

The slanted door and burma superstar are both fairly heavily americanized versions of their respective cuisine.  Carolyn, when was the last time you were at Campton Place?  They've been going through chef after chef and from all accounts the food isn't worth seeking out.  If you're doing the americanized ethnic tour, Mijita is a fine choice.  Personally, I'd head across the bridge and eat at the taco trucks on International Blvd - there's a fresh churros truck there also.  I'd also swap out the slanted door for Pagolac and Larkin Express deli for burma superstar.

I was at Campton Place during the last week of June. I was very impressed.

I was at Campton Place during the last week of June. I was very impressed.

The chef got the boot a couple of weeks ago, the Chronicle reported on it on the 15th.

Pity - I liked what he was doing. Curious who they will bring in.

I suspect you are a member of a very small group of his fans. Even Michael "everything-is-delicious" Bauer hated what he was doing...

I suspect you are a member of a very small group of his fans. Even Michael "everything-is-delicious" Bauer hated what he was doing...

I'm sorry I mis-placed the menu... If I come across it, I'll write it up. It was during a heavy week of dining (Incanto twice in one week), Campton Place, and Range...

The slanted door and burma superstar are both fairly heavily americanized versions of their respective cuisine.  Carolyn, when was the last time you were at Campton Place?  They've been going through chef after chef and from all accounts the food isn't worth seeking out.  If you're doing the americanized ethnic tour, Mijita is a fine choice.  Personally, I'd head across the bridge and eat at the taco trucks on International Blvd - there's a fresh churros truck there also.  I'd also swap out the slanted door for Pagolac and Larkin Express deli for burma superstar.

Thanks for the advice.

Rather than pick one Mexican place, maybe I will just make a resolution to try a taco at every tacqueria we see while walking around town.

• 2 months later...

Dear Melkor:

I've been digging around the California thread to try to figure out who recommended Larkin Express so I could thank him/her -- so thanks! Here's my mini-review of it from our trip earlier this month:

...our eventual destination was Larkin Express for lunch (452 Larkin btwn Golden Gate and Turk M-F 10-4). We opted to go to Larkin Express over the much-vaunted Burma Superstar as it was a) closer and b) less likely to have a lineup. We ordered a pork curry (which came with 2 sides -- we chose rice and "sourleaf", which was a bit like beet greens but tangier), coconut soup and tea salad. The curry was delicious, not too spicy but flavourful, the coconut soup like a mellow version of tom ka gai with noodles and the tea salad was wicked good. It contains young tea leaves, nuts, crunchy yellow peas and a tart but complex dressing. As there are no Burmese restos in Van that I know of, I have nothing to compare to but we both loved it, especially the salad. And it was ridiculously cheap (under $20 for the lot with leftovers). The space is utilitarian at best but the staff were friendly and helpful.

You can find the rest of my ramblings here about our trip if you're interested.