• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Norwich

I'm going to be in Norwich for a couple of days next month. Any recommendations on where to eat?

Thank you,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I'm going to be in Norwich for a couple of days next month. Any recommendations on where to eat?

Thank you,

Stephen Bonner

The Wildebeest Arms and 1up at the Mad Moose are both meant to be good (Michelin Bib Gourmands), but personally I would hop on a train (10 minutes) or get a taxi to Brundall and visit The Lavender House. I've always found the food to be very good (occasionally great), and Richard Hughes (Chef Patron) is a really nice guy who has always made a point of using local ingredients and crediting his suppliers.

St Giles House http://www.stgileshouse.com/eatdrink/index.php has been the subject of a "reality" TV show. The place has had its ups and downs but might be worth a punt, possibly!

Adlards http://www.adlards.co.uk/ is the top place in the city but I understand the owner has put it on the market.

Adlards unfortunately does not live up to what it could. Tracey McLeod reviewed it a couple of months ago for the Independent on Saturday magazine. Expensive and the food just does not deliver. Shame really because it is a nice place.

If you could be bothered go as far as Morston Hall on the North Norfolk Coast but I suspect that is too far.

Adlards unfortunately does not live up to what it could. Tracey McLeod reviewed it a couple of months ago for the Independent on Saturday magazine. Expensive and the food just does not deliver. Shame really because it is a nice place.

Actually, Adlards is (much) better than that review. To be fair to Tracey she doesn't try to hide her dislike of Norfolk. Adlards is, however (as Andy notes) for sale and my understanding is that it is likely to close (in its present form) in September.

Morston Hall is indeed a bit far from Norwich, especially as it only does dinner (except on Sundays) in one sitting (8pm). Worth considering though if you are staying closer.

• 8 months later...

Hi folks

Any update on this thread? I'm off to Norwich this weekend and would appreciate the recommendations.

The Wildebeest Arms and 1up look fun from the websites, and the Lavender House looks good. They're the front runners so far.

Stephen, did you get to any of these places when you went in the end?

• 2 months later...

I just had a very nice lunch at 1up/Mad Moose.

I had hot smoked salmon on truffled ratte potatoes,

followed by slow cooked belly of pork, with puy lentils and spinach

followed by cheese and biscuits.

My companion had ham terrine followed by organic salmon then creme brulee with summer fruits and strawberry icecream.

All showed very competent cooking.

Service was excellent.

Two courses £20, three £30.

We drank a nice white Mercurey 2003 for £30 from a short but interesting and not overpriced winelist.

Coffee in the garden.

There were only two other tables, for reasons I can't understand.

This place is a real bargain for serious, even accompished food.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, Adlards is (much) better than that review. To be fair to Tracey she doesn't try to hide her dislike of Norfolk. Adlards is, however (as Andy notes) for sale and my understanding is that it is likely to close (in its present form) in September.

Morston Hall is indeed a bit far from Norwich, especially as it only does dinner (except on Sundays) in one sitting (8pm). Worth considering though if you are staying closer.

I had to postpone the trip. I'm arriving in Norwich for a week in late October and will check out some of the recommendations. I'll be staying at St. Giles House during my visit then off to a remote watermill on the Broads for some r&r.

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG