• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Rum

mac1105

I'd probably agree with the Zacapa centenario. But even so I couldnt drink it every day. It can be cloyingly sweet if you arent prepared for it.

my favorite all around is Cruzan Single Barrel. Seconded by Appleton Extra.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In view of the above replies I think I'll have to keep from voicing a definite answer until I've opened my bottle of Cruzan Single Barrel (it's been waiting for that right occasion for nearly six months now). Given my understandably limited experience (should I mention that I'm from Finland, again?) of quality rums, my present favourites are Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, followed by Kaniche Guadeloupe...

First question:

Planters Cask 23 (Never tried it, but the reports are that it better than one of my favorites, Pyrat XO)

Second question:

I rotate between the following rums (depending on mood); Pyrat XO, Pampero Aniversario, Cruzan Single Barel, Appleton 21 YO, El Dorado 15 YO and Smuggler's Cove Dark as my "filler" rum to stretch out the premium ones.

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

First question,

Since desert islands don't have any ice and water would be hard to get, I'd have to start with a bottle of the 30 year old cask strength Cadenheads Rum. At 146 proof this one would last longer and even if I couldn't get any water I would still have a great rum.

Second question, what do I normally drink? Here is a list of my Favorite Rums and in case you are wondering, I generally have most of these rums on my boat but my first drink of the day is a 'ti punch.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally tried the Cruzan last weekend and I have to say that I liked it very much. It's too early to write up any serious tasting notes, but I have to say that it reminded me a little of Clement's Rhum Vieux, but was softer and more buttery in texture...

I was surprised by this initial finding, since Clement is a French style cane juice rum and I have understood that Cruzan is a conventional molasses based rum... Shouldn't be that similar, or..?

Now, I'll have to sip it alone and alongside with Matusalem next weekend to say which I like more and what I really think of it...