• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Wonder Bread...

Pierogi

Think what you will of Wonder Bread (builds strong bodies, 12 ways....) it certainly is an American cultural icon in not only food traditions but marketing savvy. It was with great sadness I read in the LA Times today (actually their web site) that the Wonder Bread bakeries in So Cal are shutting down in October. The last loaves of Wonder Bread will come out on 10/20, and the bakeries will close totally by 10/29. They will also cease marketing Wonder Bread in Southern California at that time. They've been in the market in this area since the 1940's.

Regardless of the cultural/culinary impact, the area will loose about 1300 jobs in 4 area cities.

But.......no Wonder Bread on the shelves west of Las Vegas??? That's just wrong. Not that I've bought any of it in about 40 years, but still. It's something that was always there, and that I thought always would be.

It's wayyyyyyyyyy too late, and I'm wayyyyyyyyyy too tired to figure out how to do a clever little clicky link (if one of the e-G staff would like to PM me with a cheat sheet, I'd be forever grateful), but here's the URL for the article. You *may* need to register to read it, but it's free.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-wond...dlines-business

The good news is the Twinkie/Ding Dong/Ho-Ho production and sales will remain.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"