• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Cookies In A Car

merstar

At the end of the "spring" session, one of the classes at the church school down the road from me did this.

The teacher has a minivan with a long sweeping windshield.

However, she put the disposable aluminum cookie sheets on one of the reflective protectors, both to protect the dash and to keep as much heat as possible away from the interior.

It was in late May when the temp went over 100.

As I recall, they used a brownie box mix, but portioned it with a small scoop instead of making a solid sheet.

A few weeks ago we had a day when the high was 113 F., and the humidity was 3%.

My neighbors were making jerky on the roof of a garden shed. It was done before sundown.

Also, the asphalt at the edge of my driveway was melting so it would have been a good day for making "solar" jam.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A few weeks ago we had a day when the high was 113 F., and the humidity was 3%. 

My neighbors were making jerky on the roof of a garden shed.  It was done before sundown.

Also, the asphalt at the edge of my driveway was melting so it would have been a good day for making "solar" jam.

Wow - 113! " 'Solar' Jam' " - good name, and the taste would be unique - you should bottle it and sell it!

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I did a similar thing when a mate and I were driving across Australia. We were working in Mildura in summer where temps get above 40 degrees celcius. We would buy rolls and tinned spaghetti on the way to work (picking egg plants) and park the car in the open sun and leave the rolls and tins in front of the back window. By the time dinner came around, the rolls were slightly toasted and the spaghetti was warm.

I did a similar thing when a mate and I were driving across Australia. We were working in Mildura in summer where temps get above 40 degrees celcius. We would buy rolls and tinned spaghetti on the way to work (picking egg plants) and park the car in the open sun and leave the rolls and tins in front of the back window. By the time dinner came around, the rolls were slightly toasted and the spaghetti was warm.

Now that's smart thinking!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.