• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Chocolate Show 2007

I'm attending a meeting of the Fine Chocolate education committee which is being held tacked on to the New York chocolate show. So I figured that I might attend the show and see what it's all about.

So I'm looking for recommendations. Are the demo's useful? Are they aimed at the general public or will they be useful for someone with chocolate experience? Besides tasting everything, what else is there to do and see there?

I would also be interested in worthwhile places to eat close by. (I'd appreciate PM's about reasonably priced places to stay nearby as well.)

Finally, will I be anywhere near Bridge Kitchenware and JB Prince?

Hi Kerry,

The Chocolate Show can be a total madhouse. Be prepared for huge crowds! The website doesn't have a list of the demos yet, so I can't tell whether any will be good or not. For the most part, the demos are restaurant pastry chefs doing a dessert or two that focuses on chocolate. There really aren't demos that are specific to chocolate confections (at least there haven't been in the past). They are aimed at the general public as they do hand out tasting portions after the demo.

From my experiences (which haven't been too recently, I admit), the exhibitors show up for a tradeshow type experience, but the public shows up to try and get a lot of free product. As I said, it can be a madhouse.

You are not really near Bridge or JB Prince (they are both on the East Side, the show is on the West Side nearish to Chelsea), but you shouldn't have a problem getting to either with public transportation or a reasonable taxi ride.

With regard to hotels in New York City...lets just say that it isn't anything like Chicago. Every hotel room is expensive in New York, even if you have to share a communal bathroom! Definitely try something like Priceline.com or something like that in order to get a deal.

Hi Kerry,

The Chocolate Show can be a total madhouse.  Be prepared for huge crowds!  The website doesn't have a list of the demos yet, so I can't tell whether any will be good or not.  For the most part, the demos are restaurant pastry chefs doing a dessert or two that focuses on chocolate.  There really aren't demos that are specific to chocolate confections (at least there haven't been in the past).  They are aimed at the general public as they do hand out tasting portions after the demo.

From my experiences (which haven't been too recently, I admit), the exhibitors show up for a tradeshow type experience, but the public shows up to try and get a lot of free product.  As I said, it can be a madhouse.

You are not really near Bridge or JB Prince (they are both on the East Side, the show is on the West Side nearish to Chelsea), but you shouldn't have a problem getting to either with public transportation or a reasonable taxi ride.

With regard to hotels in New York City...lets just say that it isn't anything like Chicago.  Every hotel room is expensive in New York, even if you have to share a communal bathroom!  Definitely try something like Priceline.com or something like that in order to get a deal.

Alana,

Thanks for the advice.

You have the advantage of having lived in NY before. What other places like JB Prince and Bridge should I seek out?

Kerry,

alanamoana was right it can be a madhouse. I think there is a day where trade and industry people are invited to tour the vendors before the general public. I found that there are some useful reasons for myself to brave the crowds.

If you don't have access to sales people selling various types of chocolates, then the chocolate show (at least when I went two years ago), allows me to check out different varieties. (Felchlin, becolade, guittard, el rey? etc). I was also able to pick up some of the chocolate at a discount. I found it useful to be able to compare. I also saw the rechuitti book at a barnes and noble stand and then was able to walk to their booth and try some of the chocolates.. On second thought, maybe I had some of the rechuitti chocolates and then bought the book.

Be aware that JB prince is only open weekdays. You might want to walk the bowery which has a lot of restaurant supply stores. When you know of when you are coming and where you might be staying, pm me and I can come up with some places that might be good to go/eat.

Jeff

As a follow up, these events might also be of interest.

The Art of Belgian Candy

JEAN PIERRE WYBAUW 3 session(s)

course meets start date end date time other dates in course

consecutive days Mon, September 17 Wed, September 19 7:30 AM -12 PM

And the StarChefs.com International Chefs Congress which is also occuring around the same time. These have more of a professional aspect to them.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'll PM you closer to the date. Sounds like there is a lot going on. Too bad I can't stick around for a week or so and see everything.

Hi Kerry,

You will be within walking distance of a shop the name of which is escaping me at the moment. It has pastry and baking supplies, mostly hardware, some chocolate, and is on 24th between 6th and Broadway, just across the street from the back door of the building in which ICE is located...sorry to be so vague but I'll get it today and get back to you.

Jen

Hi Kerry,

You will be within walking distance of a shop the name of which is escaping me at the moment.  It has pastry and baking supplies, mostly hardware, some chocolate, and is on 24th between 6th and Broadway, just across the street from the back door of the building in which ICE is located...sorry to be so vague but I'll get it today and get back to you. 

Jen

It's New York Cake and Bake Distributors

56 W 22nd St # 1

New York, NY 10010

(212) 675-2253

I like to go to JB Prince for molds an other chocolate stuff. Just be aware that they're in an offoce building so you need to go upstairs - no store front on the street.

www.cheri-pie.com

Life is too short. Eat good chocolate.