• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dooly's XO and Boyero Anejo

Dan Smith

Greetings,

A buddy of mine is traveling in Michigan and has come across these two rums. I was just wondering if any of you have tried these and if they are any good. The Dooly's is going for $30 and the Boyero is only $15.

Cheers

Looks like I forgot the r in Doorly's. Sorry...

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

I have to admit that I have never heard of Boyero Anejo. But I just spent three days at the Newport Boat Show giving away samples of Doorly's XO and it is good. In fact, there weren't 5 people who turned up their noses at it. We served several thousand samples, but I did say giving it away. It was also a big hit at the exhibitors party served with mixers or on the rocks where it was sometimes compared to Scotch.

This rum is light in character, slightly but not too dry and is easy on the smoky oak which is overpowering in some premium rums.

Distilled and aged in Barbados, Doorly's XO is a blend of six to twelve year old rums which are blended and then allowed to marry in Olorosso Sherry casks from Spain. The rum is smooth with hints of apple in the finish. I could compare this rum to Cruzan single barrel which is also matured twice but Doorly's XO isn't quite as dry.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Greetings Ed,

Thanks for the notes on Doorly's. I am exited about this rum. But, I tend to like the heavy smoky oak rums better, like Pampero Aniversario. I love the Single Barrel, which is on the oak side of rums, but much less than Pampero. I will let you know what I think about it as soon as I get my bottle.

About Boyero, I too have never heard of this rum and could not even find the slightest mention about it on the net. I ended up passing on getting a bottle and only bought the Doorly's.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

Greetings to all who peruse through this thread,

I wish that I could explain better what I have experienced with Doorly’s XO, but I am not learned enough in the terminology and have a hard time putting words to the tastes in my mouth, but this is the impression it gave me and the following was is the entry in my journal:

“After a few nights of drinking this rum, neat, with ice, neat-chilled and as a rum an Coke, all that I can say is that the more I drink it, the more I like it. and it was good in all forms tested. It’s smooth, sweet and a little dry, but ends with fruity overtones. It’s real easy to drink and I like it best neat, not even chilled. It’s light, well at least I find, and therefore good neat at room temperature.”

Conclusion: It’s fine rum, and one that an everyday person like myself recommends to this forum of rum lovers

Cheers to you and goodnight… beerchug.gif