• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft Shell Crabs

Where do you go for the best soft shell crabs?

Not upmarket (not that you indicated you care) but I've always found the soft shells at Snockey's to be perfectly, greaselessly, fried. And cheap. I haven't been there in a few years but I can't imagine things have changed. 2nd and Washington.

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

Where do you go for the best soft shell crabs?

Not upmarket (not that you indicated you care) but I've always found the soft shells at Snockey's to be perfectly, greaselessly, fried. And cheap. I haven't been there in a few years but I can't imagine things have changed. 2nd and Washington.

A little OT, but does anyone know how long they've been there? My folks started going there in the 1940's, maybe earlier!

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

• 2 weeks later...

A report back. Matyson's has terrific soft shell crabs served with a lovely avacado/corn salad. On the flip side run - away - from Snockies. I tried them out too, a trip down auld lang ... No, you can't go there again.

SSOH. Service was disappointing last time I was there, but they always do fried well.

About ten years ago, at Snockey's, I received the rudest and most antagonistic service I have ever experienced. I have never returned, nor will I ever return.

For soft shell crabs - the ones served at the Palm are awfully good.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

SSOH. Service was disappointing last time I was there, but they always do fried well.

About ten years ago, at Snockey's, I received the rudest and most antagonistic service I have ever experienced. I have never returned, nor will I ever return.

For soft shell crabs - the ones served at the Palm are awfully good.

Thanks for the tip about the Palm. I'm planning to get another taste of ssc before the season's over.

Yes the service at Snocky's was just barely inside the realm of indifferent, but what I can't forgive is wasting my time on such a sad rendering of sscrabs. And it's not as if they're exactly cheap there either.