• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eurochocolate Perugia

jende

Does anyone have info on Perugia's Eurochocolate? The web site doesn't convert to English (even though there is an English button).

I'm going to be in Perugia during the festival in October and I really want to know what to expect, especially if there's anything I have to book in advance.

Thanks.

Expect crowds! Its a very popular festival, and can be crammed with people!  Be sure to book a place to stay...as in, book now.

If there is something specific that you wanted translated, pm, ok?

We've already booked a hotel, but we're not sure whether we want to stay for one day or two, so it would be good to know what goes on at the festival and how much we might want to take in.

I can't eat chocolate... :sad: so, I've never been to the festival. But...the press coverage is extensive and looks like you would certainly be entertained for 2 days. Besides, Perugia is just a lovely city with a great museum. And we are only 20 minutes north of Perugia!

I can't eat chocolate...  :sad: so, I've never been to the festival. But...the press coverage is extensive and looks like you would certainly be entertained for 2 days. Besides, Perugia is just a lovely city with a great museum. And we are only 20 minutes north of Perugia!

Can't eat chocolate? I'm so sorry! I can't imagine life without chocolate. Thanks for the information.

I can't eat chocolate...  :sad: so, I've never been to the festival. But...the press coverage is extensive and looks like you would certainly be entertained for 2 days. Besides, Perugia is just a lovely city with a great museum. And we are only 20 minutes north of Perugia!

Can't eat chocolate? I'm so sorry! I can't imagine life without chocolate. Thanks for the information.

It's a migraine trigger...so it's sort of like an electric fence....after getting shocked, you lose your desire. But, the good news is that I can still drink red wine! :biggrin:

It is HUGE.. I think one day is enough.. try not to be there on Sunday when the world shows up!

I have taken chocolate makers there yearly and it is crazy.. this year I am sending them on their own after our tour!

There are lots of things for sale, some fun little entertainment things.

classes and tastings you can book, but I am not sure if they are in English

Chocolate from all over Italy.. and some from other places.. France. England..

I get inspired by packaging..

if you take it slow and don't try to see it all in one day..and just enjoy.. it is fun!

some places even do chocolate dinners!

Just be prepared!

It is HUGE.. I think one day is enough.. try not to be there on Sunday when the world shows up!

I have taken chocolate makers there yearly and it is crazy.. this year I am sending them on their own after our tour!

There are lots of things for sale, some fun little entertainment things.

classes and tastings you can book, but I am not sure if they are in English

Chocolate from all over Italy.. and some from other places.. France. England..

I get inspired by packaging..

if you take it slow and don't try to see it all in one  day..and just enjoy.. it is fun!

some places even do chocolate dinners!

Just be prepared!

THIS is the kind of info I'm looking for! A chocolate dinner?? I'm in! Divina, do you know where I could get more info on these things, including how to reserve if necessary?

Anyone know if it is feasible to go just for the day? I had ~no idea~ this festival was going on during our stay and unfortunately all our plans center on Piemonte & Liguria during this time. Kinda far but...

Not a clue how accessible Perugia is but if taking the train in the morning and leaving at night works I will be in chocolate heaven! We could stay for one night, however, hotel picking already look slim and undesirable/expensive.

Also, the website says the festival starts the 13th but then says Chocolate Day is on the 12th. Is the 12th also a day worth going for?

Anyone know if it is feasible to go just for the day? I had ~no idea~ this festival was going on during our stay and unfortunately all our plans center on Piemonte & Liguria during this time. Kinda far but...

Not a clue how accessible Perugia is but if taking the train in the morning and leaving at night works I will be in chocolate heaven! We could stay for one night, however, hotel picking already look slim and undesirable/expensive.

Also, the website says the festival starts the 13th but then says Chocolate Day is on the 12th. Is the 12th also a day worth going for?

I believe the festival is for two weeks, beginning October 12. We're there Oct. 14-15.

the entire program is online

here it is unfortunately not in english..

opening weekend there are HUGE blocks of chocolate being sculpted in the streets.

There is a huge indoor space, called the Rocca Pralina which has tons of chocolate for sale, and some demo's and tastings.

Then there is a huge outdoor market.

Plus they offer a choco Beauty farm!!!

This years GADGETS are a bittersweet chocolate Asperin.. with vitamin A and C

and a battery!!! to keep you charged!

I have always found new things I love! It is just a BIT overwhelming especially on weekends!

Last year I brought my Ecole Chocolate group and watched everyone's bags while they all went off in different directions.... Someone tried to steal one of the purses I was watching...DUMB!

But I can easily see how you could be pickpocketed !!!

so whenever is a place like musuems or large shows like this. it is easy to get sensory overload, get exhausted and become a target.

Try to not carry a lot. and if you are staying in town, take breaks, leave the things you buy in hte hotel and come back out refreshed to start again.

For thos of you travelling by train.. it is a long day!

maybe bring a small backpack instead of carrying bags.. easier to control!

I am not sure if the classes are translated.

but there are daily classes

Professional and Amateur classes ( reservations needed)

With kids many manufacturers create games outside.. which are fun. there was a chocolate circus last year too

At the choco hotel offers a choco menu

Almost all of the show is up in the old city. there are buses from the train station up to the city.

My favorite part of perugia is taking the escalators up through the old part of the city.

I hope this helps.

I don't know if they will be translating the site.

Try emailing!

Edited by divina (log)

Divina,

Mille Grazie!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just made a reservation for the all chocolate dinner. A group of us have rented a sixtenth century farmhouse in Cortona and will be attending the chocolate festival. Can't wait.

P.S. They said their English website will be up soon.