• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Restaurant Recommendations

sgschef

Hi

Thank you for all of this!

I'm not sure how helpful this will be but we're thinking along the lines of not spending more than $2500 for a week of hotels and dining. So $300/day on average, with some days more expensive than others. I'm hoping the exchange rate helps us out here.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Hi

Thank you for all of this!

I'm not sure how helpful this will be but we're thinking along the lines of not spending more than $2500 for a week of hotels and dining. So $300/day on average, with some days more expensive than others. I'm hoping the exchange rate helps us out here.

Sara,

By PM I've already passed on some budget stretching tips and other suggestions for you, but here are a few more:

1. Buy your Canadian dollars as soon as possible--the Cdn dollar is rising rapidly and it's entirely likely you'll have bought in 5%+ additional value by the time June rolls around.

2. Schedule a couple of quality lunches. For instance, the rotisserie chicken at Cioppino's Enoteca, or Yoshi Tabo's sushi at Bluewater, both al fresco in Yaletown, or a lazy summer afternoon on the seaview sundeck at C while you sample seafood, save at least a third over dinner prices. Another great outdoor spot, and terrific value, is Go Fish!

3. Allocate more time. We hear it every summer--"We wish we had three more days." So will you. In addition to Vancouver Island, you should make an overnight trip (and wine tasting tour which we can help arrange) to the Okanagan Valley. Book on West Jet for the best fares, and plan to rent a car while you are there. Or alternatively, drive-up early one morning--it's a pretty, four hour drive or half hour flight (about CDN $200 return).

4. If you go to Whistler, we can assist you in arranging discounted accomodation.

5. In Tofino, don't miss the fish tacos at Sobo.

Finally, I can't remember ever reading a more lovely topic title than yours, even if, for a moment, I was curious as to precisely what kind of help you were seeking:

Honeymoon in Vancouver

Total Novices Need Your Help

You can read a lot more at Vancouver Magazine--the archived diner sections (especially the annual April Restaurant Awards section and the summer "Where the Bites Are") are particularly helpful.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

If you decide to head out this way for your honeymoon, whether staying at the Wick or not, please feel free to send me an email with any questions you may have with respect to lodging, dining or activities - I would be glad to help! Until next time.......

Chris

concierge@wickinn.com

• 1 month later...

It's been ten years since I left Vancouver--have things changed a bit since then? :biggrin:

I've been charged with a really important task. A good friend is getting married, and I'm going home to help. Things are going to be kind of crazy, but I thought we'd skip the strippers and have one really nice dinner, as a combination of the bachelorette party and wedding shower.

Since we're treating the wedding girl, I would really like this dinner to be somewhere memorable, both in terms of quality of food and ambience (and good service...or am I now just getting greedy?). But I have to consider the budgets of the other guests as well, most of whom will be in their late 20s.

I have absolutely no clue where to begin! And living abroad has skewered my understanding of "reasonable" price range. So I think we, the guests, wouldn't mind spending a little more on something special but not frightfully expensive ("frightful" being anything over...$60 a head...?).

Any recommendations at all would be truly, truly appreciated. Thank you!

So I think we, the guests, wouldn't mind spending a little more on something special but not frightfully expensive ("frightful" being anything over...$60 a head...?).

Any recommendations at all would be truly, truly appreciated. Thank you!

There are many places that would set you up for this price.

Parkside has a set menu for $39.00 or so and many others.

What dates are you looking at?

Mon dai nai.

Gambatte nei.

How many people are you anticipating for this prenuptial soiree? My knee-jerk reaction would be Cru with their three-course Prix Fixe Menu of $36, but that all depends on the size of your party.

Any preferences for a particular type of cuisine?

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

*Deborah*, I don't think any of us are real big drinkers, so if we weren't including alcohol in the $60 per head quote, does that open up more options?

Chef Metcalf, this dinner is going to be toward the end of February. How early in advance would you recommend I make the reservation?

Mooshmouse, thanks for the Cru recommendation! I'm amazed at the great price, but from what I could see on the website, it looks just a tad more casual than what I had in mind. Perhaps that was not the clearest photo?

I've got to admit, I don't know yet how many people will be coming, but I want to keep it somewhat small and intimate--so, no more than say eight people. Neither will I know everyone who's going to attend, so I think I should play it safe and stick to "Western" cuisine.

Thanks for providing us some parameters to help narrow the focus.

With most Vancouver restaurants, everything but the finest dining is more casual than you'd find in other metropolitan centres like New York. Though it is a somewhat casual small room, Cru's culinary offerings are second to none, and the service is fantastic. Parkside's decor is more upscale but it still has a similar relaxed atmosphere... and you certainly can't go wrong with Chef Durbach's menu.

I'd also suggest Coast, Fiction and Glowbal, or Saveur as a more formal choice.

Vancouverites are notorious for last-minute bookings. For an important event like yours, I'd make a reservation about 3 weeks in advance... but, then, I'm a "planner"!

Good luck with your decision making. :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

*Deborah*, I don't think any of us are real big drinkers, so if we weren't including alcohol in the $60 per head quote, does that open up more options?

Chef Metcalf, this dinner is going to be toward the end of February. How early in advance would you recommend I make the reservation?

Mooshmouse, thanks for the Cru recommendation! I'm amazed at the great price, but from what I could see on the website, it looks just a tad more casual than what I had in mind. Perhaps that was not the clearest photo?

I've got to admit, I don't know yet how many people will be coming, but I want to keep it somewhat small and intimate--so, no more than say eight people. Neither will I know everyone who's going to attend, so I think I should play it safe and stick to "Western" cuisine.

Sobaicecream

Depends on how many you have in your group really.

I would go with the earlier the better, even thought it will be in February, phone ahead and book your party into the room and then discuss the menu as it's not an easy call to fit in a party of 20 last minute.

Should be able to do it all by email.

See what they would like to offer for the price that you want to pay.

Slow season, you may get a slightly better deal en masse.

Moosh's suggestions are all good ones.

Start from there.

Once again, gambatte.

One small request......if there is any extra room in your luggage please bring back some wasabi osembe :wub:

I have a ten year craving I must fill.

CM

Oh, a bachelorette that does not include copious amounts of alcohol: how different, how sensible, how much money you will save! excellent!

I have not been to Cru but everyone on this board has a great opinion of it; Parkside I can heartily recommend. Bistro Pastis usually has a Table d'Hote in your price range, too.

I second the comment that most restaurants are casual by comparison to other cities I've eaten in. But if your party wants to dress up, then I think you should be happy and dress up. There have been nights I've gone out and seen everyone in slacks and trendy/sloppy clothes, and there have been nights I have been pleased to realize that Vancouverites do own "little black dresses" in which to dine, so go for it, and don't worry about whether the room appears a little casual.

:smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Cru doesn't seem all that casual to my west coast sensibility. The room is lounge inspired. It is very well decorated, and outrageously comfortable. It would be my choice. Others you may consider would be Parkside, la Regeladde or Chambar.

If you want places that look good and are more formal like West or Lumiere be prepared to pay in the $100.00+ a head range. There are elegant places like Gotham or The Beach House but the food is not what these places are about.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful advice!

Mooshmouse, right after this, I'll go check all the links you included. Thank you! That's interesting what you said about restaurants not being that fancy in Vancouver, compared to other big cities. I guess it was years and years ago, but when I was pretty young, I remember a small, lovely restaurant called Star Anis--I don't suppose anyone's heard of it? It was tiny but elegant, and the food was wonderful.

Chef Metcalf, good suggestion about trying to get a special deal for a larger party; something to think about. And what kind of fellow eGulleter would I be if I ignored that heartrending plea for sembei (jeez, ten years--were you living in Japan?). If you give me an address, I will happily post you some wasabi sembei when I get to Vancouver...although, to be honest, I've never seen wasabi sembei, so maybe I should scout some out before getting your hopes up.

Deborah, I appreciate your approval. I know there's one girl in our group who was hoping to see some dancing men with toolbelts...um... I'd much rather splurge on a delicious dinner. And will take your advice and just dress up if we feel like it!

(Oh, and in the interests of truth-in-advertising, I have nothing against alcohol or tipsiness, but the last few bachelorettes I have run into downtown have included girls SO splifficated that I expected them to pass out any second! A frat-party sort of inebriation...I don't mean to sound prudish or anything :raz:)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Cru doesn't seem all that casual to my west coast sensibility. The room is lounge inspired. It is very well decorated, and outrageously comfortable. It would be my choice. Others you may consider would be Parkside, la Regeladde or Chambar.

If you want places that look good and are more formal like West or Lumiere be prepared to pay in the $100.00+ a head range. There are elegant places like Gotham or The Beach House but the food is not what these places are about.

Well, I wouldn't want to go anywhere so stiff we can't enjoy ourselves. I'll always choose food over ambience. But since this is a special occasion, I wanted something a little *more* than we'd usually go for. Thanks for all the suggestions, Cru. :smile:

Star Anise still exists. It has gone from the hottest place in the city in the 90's to a place that would do 10 to 20 meals on a great night. Both the original owners are long gone.

Oh, that's sad. :hmmm:

(Oh, and in the interests of truth-in-advertising, I have nothing against alcohol or tipsiness, but the last few bachelorettes I have run into downtown have included girls SO splifficated that I expected them to pass out any second! A frat-party sort of inebriation...I don't mean to sound prudish or anything :raz:)

Yeah, and I'm kind of shooting for something memorable, not memory-less!

Vancouverites are notorious for last-minute bookings.

LOL!

I was going to say-"give 'em 2 days notice that's lots" :raz:

One consideration that's rarely mentioned with Cru & Pastis is that both rooms are somewhat (IMO) tight for space-how close do you want your neighbours?.

My vote goes to Fiction as mentioned-lots of your demographic and decent choices for food/wine.

Great suggestions above, but here's another: La Belle Auberge at 4856 48th Ave., Ladner, 604-946-7717. It's a little out of the way, and I haven't eaten there, but some of my friends have and they really enjoyed the experience.

Hi Ling, thanks for the info!

I just noticed this dinner is probably going to happen some time during Dine Out Vancouver 2005, and two restaurants that are participating caught my eye (both the menu and the decor): C restaurant and Raincity Grill. Nobody's mentioned either of these yet...any particular reason?

Edited to say: Okay, I'm going nuts. I got the dates for DOV confused, and this dinner is unfortunately going to be one month too late. Damn. Oh, but in that case, what about West Restaurant (which I noticed is fully booked for DOV)?

Edited by Sobaicecream (log)

I haven't made it to C yet, but I like Raincity Grill...only eaten there once, but it was very good.

You should probably be happy that you're missing DOV, since a large party might be hard to accommodate this late in the game. You could always ask for a similar set menu, though.

Agenda-free since 1966.

I just noticed this dinner is probably going to happen some time during Dine Out Vancouver 2005, and two restaurants that are participating caught my eye (both the menu and the decor): C restaurant and Raincity Grill. Nobody's mentioned either of these yet...any particular reason?

Edited to say: Okay, I'm going nuts. I got the dates for DOV confused, and this dinner is unfortunately going to be one month too late. Damn. Oh, but in that case, what about West Restaurant (which I noticed is fully booked for DOV)?

I would think C, Raincity & West were not mentioned because of your budget. Having said that, a couple fo those places do offer early dining options:

West does early prix fixe menu for $29, but you have to be there before 6:00. Raincity Grill offers The Real Meal Deal for $22, but again, that's between 5pm & 6pm. Not sure about C ...

Decisions, decisions, decisions ...

A.

I would think C, Raincity & West were not mentioned because of your budget.  Having said that, a couple fo those places do offer early dining options:

West does early prix fixe menu for $29, but you have to be there before 6:00.  Raincity Grill offers The Real Meal Deal for $22, but again, that's between 5pm & 6pm.  Not sure about C ...

Oh yeah... I just saw their menus. Ouch. And I thought Tokyo was expensive! Okay, no, it still is.

I know, those early meal deals are awfully early. I guess I'll be jetlagged and maybe the weird eating hour might even suit me, but I don't know about the rest of the people.

Decisions, indeed!

I've been there a number of times, and beleive it or not the food is very good, as is the service. The room is...uhh...dated? What exactly did he say about seasoning?

I think he's ready to hang up his touque anyways, and I don't know if anyone else in town want to try to make a go of fine dining in Ladner.