• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Restaurant Recommendations

sgschef

Well you are likely going to get different opinions from everyone who replies. From my experience which doesn't include all the restaurants that exist:

West

C

Parkside (patio, weather permitting)

Other notable mentions / inclusions:

I hear Provence Marinaside has great brunch menu - but haven't been.

I would likely add Rain City Grill - haven't eaten there in a while and don't know if things have settled down, but the view / location are top notch

Hope they have fun!

We have some out of towners who want to do Tojo's but I'm not sure I can handle what I think one needs to do there, which is to trust in Tojo and ask him to create based on what is freshest etc. There are too many raw fish/seafood that freak me out ... confessions of an e-g'r! :blink:

Hello everybody.

As an Orlando resident and frequent poster on the Florida board, I am used to getting multiple posts every month asking for recommendations for people vacationing at Disney World or around Orlando. We usually point them towards a couple of very long threads that have evolved over time with many recommendations based on their specific needs.

After spending some time on your, well, FANTASTIC forum, I must say I am impressed and a little overwhelmed. My pregnant wife and I are planning a 10-day vacation to BC, and I was hoping for your insight. Either direct recommendations or a link pointing me to the best exisiting thread is much appreciated.

We will be visiting the last 10 days of August. We will spend 2-3 nights in Whistler, 5-6 night in Tofino at the Long Beach Lodge, and then 2 nights in Vancouver after returning our car. We are not sure where we are staying in Whistler yet (either the Four Seasons or the Westin) or in Vancouver, but it will be centrally located.

So I would mostly appreciate recommendations for those 2 Vancouver dinners. We are looking for places with a unique Pacific Northwest connection (e.g., no Italian places as while I'm sure they're great I can get great Italian in NYC, Philly or Chicago). We are looking for one fine dining option and one "authentic", legendary or must-eat Vancouver experience (if you catch my drift). My guess is that seafood or Asian places are the way to go. And please make them "pregnant" friendly. :wink:

Also, any list of must-visit establishments in Whistler or near Tofino would be great.

Again, I commend all of you on a great forum, and salivate while anticipating your recommendations. :biggrin:

Thanks,

Bill

EDIT: I just saw the PINNED post at the top of the forum that listed recommendations :blush: Regardless, as usual on good boards it is just TOO much to process with my hectic life. I would appreciate your specific options for the BEST choices based on my criteria above.

Edited by Bill_H (log)

My first very quick rec., stay at the Four Seasons!! I stayed at the Westin the last time I was in Whistler and was nice, very nice, but the Four Seasons is 3X the hotel for pretty much the same price. The Four Seasons is stunning.

Although I am sorely disappointed you are not planning on dining in Victoria, I will just swallow my pride and recommend other establishments.

When you stay at the Long Beach Lodge in Tofino do dine in their Great Room whenever you get a chance, especially near the fireplace. I find this setting much cozier than their dining room.

Other dining options (in no particular order) MUST INCLUDE:

1. Sobo - at the Botanical Gardens, lunch preferably, but dinner there is also an option. Choose a picnic table and start with the crispy shrimp cakes, fish tacos and polenta fries. Then go thru the menu from there.

2. Raincoast Cafe - contemporary setting with Asian influences to the menu.

3. Shelter - BIG PORTIONS, great flavours. Favs - crab cakes.

4. The Pointe Restaurant at the Wickanninish - An intelligent choice for dinner with an unsurpassed lofty view of Chesterman Beach. Everything on their menu is superb. Outside microphones provide ambient sounds in the restaurant - the sunset frog symphony was most impresssive.

5. Chocolate Tofino - be seduced by the chocolate truffles made by Gordon Austin.

New place to check out will be Patisserie Conradi - for pastries, etc.

Tofino is beautiful, and I echo those recommendations, especially Sobo...and Big Daddy's Fish Fry was good too...but you have to eat outside.

About Tofino....hit the bathroom in Port Alberni...and then again at the motel/liquor store thing about 20 minutes from town, near the lake...that will be the last bathroom you see until you hit the Uclulet/Tofino junction and see the Visitors Booth. Of course there are plenty of bushes...

And take some books, knitting, whatever...I'm sure there is plenty to do there in the summer, but we were there in March, and it was total Village of the Damned...no bookstore, nothing. It was great, we loved it...but when the books ran out, it was nothing but Scrabble and naps, and that got a bit old after a few days.

And if there is anything that you particularly like to snack on, take it along...the grocery store is a bit on the low end of the scale.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

About Tofino....hit the bathroom in Port Alberni...and then again at the motel/liquor store thing about 20 minutes from town, near the lake...that will be the last bathroom you see until you hit the Uclulet/Tofino junction and see the Visitors Booth.  Of course there are plenty of bushes...

There is one other "official" bathroom - or there was last time I went - it's at the rest stop at the far (west) end of Sproat Lake, outside Port Alberni. I only mention it because it's off the highway and has picnic tables, is by the river, treed, not too buggy, and has the world's coolest invention - composting toilets. There. I've said it.

Now back to food ...

You have no idea how painful it is to hear that after the fact. That last 40 minutes of the drive was the worst 40 minutes of my life, and that includes the time I got my hair caught in a laser printer whilst training some new employees.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 1 month later...

Eight day first trip to Vancouver (although on a past trip to Seattle we did stay a few days in Victoria) beginning Fri of Labor Day weekend, with two days somewhere in there up in Whistler where we will have a kitchen, which will give us the rare vacation opportunity to cook some local bounty.

About Us

While I am happy with Chinese food once if not twice daily, my wife responds well to variety. We are biased towards dim-sum, Shanghai, HK style fresh fish, fine bistro/restos that emphasize fresh ingredients MINIMALLY handled (e.g. not fans of foams served in espresso cups or sous vide flavor concentrations or savory ice cream the nadir of which for me is lavender which always evokes public rest room urinals from back in the day) and low to the ground mom ‘n pops of almost any cuisine…not to stir flames, just our preference…and the trucks at the farmer’s markets and feeding my wife’s vacation only indulgence of ice cream, ice cream, ice cream, fresh fruit pies with crust to die for and fresh oysters that don’t break the bank and very fresh not fussed with sushi.

Seeking What We Can’t Get At Home

Would prefer to focus on what we can’t get at home (Atlanta)—frequent flyer mile free seafood, local produce, local beef/fowl/game, world class dim sum, Shanghai (ok, we’ve had a darn good Shanghai place which has enchanted our taste buds with exc soup dumplings and chive dumplings and ok scallion pancakes and exc pork belly over greens, but its folding end of September and moving to the suburbs to attract a broader crowd beyond its Chinatown focused patrons), St. Viateur quality bagels (not expecting smoked meat, however), solid old school diner breakfasts. We figure that if we walk enough everyday, we can wedge in two good meals daily, some days three.

Research To Date

After research mostly drawn from here have come up with:

Definites:

· La Regalade. Have been to the original Paris location, so can’t wait. Is it still as good?

· Shanghai Wind. Twice at least, I hope.

· Go Fish. Scenic decent sandwich sounds good

· Phnom Penh.

· Dim Sum: at LEAST twice. Richmond, preferably. Its still not clear among Jade, Kirin, Neptune, Ocean Harbor, Mandarin, Yuu as a wild card. Sun Sui Wah brings up the rear. If the mood should strike us downtown, choice not clear either.

· Granville Island Market

· Early bird at Parkside

· Les Amis du Fromage

· HK style seafood for dinner. We love the entire oeuvre. But where? The best is never cheap, but price counts. Sea Harbor, other?

· Ice Cream Mondo Gelato. Other?

· Wine Store. Marquis. Anyone can pop $50 for a bottle and pretty much count on something good. But under $15, it takes a knowledgeable store to match up one’s budget and tastes with their inventory. Is this the right place? Others?

Definite Maybes

· Hamilton Street Grill. We like steak. Well, I like steak, my wife is merely fond of it. But she loves stuff like the cinnamon ginger bread pudding.

· Hunan. Unsure if we can navigate past the food being tamed down for Anglo’s.

· Richmond night market. I am completely enthralled by these places. My wife’s patience shortens following the first munch, when there’s no good bathroom and after perusing the 23rd stall with strange foodstuffs.

· Breakfast downtown. Still at sea here. Fraserview Restaurant-103-4663 Byrne Road, Burnaby , and Tomahawk Restaurant North Vancouver sound like our kind of places, but neither are downtown; Elbow Room sounds like shtick more than substance so hard to tell. Still no downtown coffee shop/diner pancakes eggs over and bacon options identified.

· Sushi. Okado, Yuji's in Kitsilano.

· Kedah House, Café D’Lite. After Kedah House, is Banana Leaf redundant?

· Oysters. Rodney’s, Joe Fortes. Doesn’t anyone have a price friendly oyster happy hour?

· Granville Island Truck Market on Thursday morning and the East Vancouver Farmers' Market on Saturday for heirloom tomatoes and the usual suspects.

· Big Smoke Mountain BBQ Pemberton. Anti trendy choice for one of our two nights up in Whistler.

Maybe, as whims and the course of the day dictate:

· Indian. No clear choices. Prefer Pakistani dhaaba (i.e. spicy truck stop) home style kabobs and fish. Not fans of butter chicken, reheated curries etc, fusion, Indian style Hakka Chinese or waiting in line. We’ve got very good South Indian (i.e. dhosas, idlis and so forth) at home which we don’t get out to too much since I’ve slimmed down my body mass index barely below obese and generally lowered my sights on the glycemic index.

· Fish and chips: King's Fare, Fish Net, Uncle Herbies ,

· Kashcool. Unclear if this merits being a destination -- say LA quality Persian.

· Golden Sichuan

· VIP's Kitchen, on Marine drive

· Bistro Pastis. Depends on our capacity for gluttony after La Regalade, Parkside, Hamilton St Grill.

· Roadhouse Diner at Klahanie en route to Whistler

· Portuguese and Greek, neither very good in Atlanta. Seems like Vancouver is not the place either, rather Toronto and Montreal (or Chicago!).

· Worthwhile soup dumplings downtown?

Staying downtown at the Westin Grand, will have a car.

· What traffic patterns can be anticipated to be a problem?

· Do Vancouver restos shut down Fri/Sat or Sun Labor Day?

· Is the sockeye run really as bad as reported (this is probably what I’m most looking forward to with regards to having a kitchen to cook in up in Whistler)?

· While we will have a car, we have no prejudice against public trans. When does it make the most sense?

· Bard on the Beach? Worthwhile?

Well, upon reading this over, it appears that we probably won’t go hungry. Your suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, this is a great board.

Just a few quick thoughts....

I know next to nothing about Chinese food and/or dim sum in this city so will leave comments on that to he experts.

Wine stores.... Marquis is great... they have a fantastic selection and extremely knowledgeable staff. If you are in Kitsilano, you may also wish to check out Kitsilano Wine Cellar on W. 4th and Broadway International Wine Shop on W. Broadway.

Granville Island is definitely worth a visit.... Oyama, The Stock Market, J.J. Bean, etc.... well worth the trip.

As to breakfast.. well, if you are downtown, many have raved about Provence Marinaside and also Cafe Artigiano. If you venture into the Kitsilano neighbourhood.. i.e. West Broadway..... then I highly recommend Feenies. Their eggs benny with smoked salmon is beyond compare.

For Indian food, you might want to try Tamarind Bistro at Broadway and Fir. Run by the folks who owned Rubina Tandoori for years, and if my last visit is any standard, the food is excellent and unpretentious.

Other spots to try for a local feel are Aurora Bistro and Pair. Both include many local ingredients and sport BC only wine lists.

Enjoy.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Steve,

Sounds like you're well-researched. I just wanted to mention Café D'Lite is going to be moving, I think at the end of this month, so heads up on that.

As for wine stores, I find Marquis does have some good wine in the lower price range, but is mostly mid to higher range. John carries some local wine, but tends to focus on French wine. Also, we had a trucking strike here which means you should focus on local wines-long story, see the thread. I reccomend Village VQA wines at 3536 West 41st Ave (near Dunbar). They also have a location in North Van if you're in the neighborhood.

Have you got Ethiopian/Eritrean food at home? There are a handful of African Restaurants here that serve delicious food.

I'm sure others will chime in with more updates and suggestions.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

· Dim Sum: at LEAST twice. Richmond, preferably. Its still not clear among Jade, Kirin, Neptune, Ocean Harbor, Mandarin, Yuu as a wild card. Sun Sui Wah brings up the rear. If the mood should strike us downtown, choice not clear either.

I'd add South Ocean Seafood in Richmond to that list for the less flashy, less expensive, and less commercial flavours.

· Ice Cream Mondo Gelato. Other?

I'd consider the gelato place at the corner of Homer and Davie in Yaletown. It is far less crowded, and has a cleaner taste than Mondo.

· Sushi. Okado, Yuji's in Kitsilano.

I'd consider adding Sakae to this list for sushi - one of my favourite downtown sushi places. It is in a basement with another Japanese restaurant called Aki. Sakae is a straightforward traditional sushi bar.

Depends what kind of soup dumplings you are talking about. You may like Norboo, which is a Korean place that has some good soup options.

· What traffic patterns can be anticipated to be a problem?

Lots of tourists driving around looking for egullet recommendations. :wink:

· While we will have a car, we have no prejudice against public trans. When does it make the most sense?

For the places outside of downtown. Within downtown you can walk to pretty much everything.

Have fun!

Café D'Lite is going to be moving, I think at the end of this month, so heads up on that...Village VQA wines at 3536 West 41st Ave (near Dunbar). They also have a location in North Van if you're in the neighborhood.

Have you got Ethiopian/Eritrean food at home? There are a handful of African Restaurants here that serve delicious food.

Is it known when/where Cafe D'Lite will be moving?

With the weather forecast to be cool (high of 20 C during our visit, which is autumn cool to these Atlanta bones), happy hour emphasis will probably drift among gin gimlets, Maker's Mark and white wine. I really enjoy going to wine shops in new places, since with the screwed up Prohibition legacy alcohol distribution system we have in the States, there are different things (at widely varied pricing) everywhere you go.

Re local wines: Will add these wine stores to the list. We're totally off CA wines, which besides being excessively fruity and oaky and vanilla and pineapple laden, seem to all be coming in at greater than 13.5 % Alcohol, what with the elevated sugars to match they yield a good sized headache when drunk in any quantity. Lately we've been drinking a lot of Spanish, Italian and French from the SW. I've had some good Oregon Pinot Noirs, but they're poor price performers so we don't drink them except rarely. Am very curious about BC wines. Any 411 as to styles etc?

Unless absolutely home cooked stellar, Ethiopian cuisine is never high on our list--although we are mad for Middle Eastern and falafel, another cuisine which is not too good here. From another board (LTHforum) an intriguing passing mention "Abdul's BBQ Middle Eastern Cuisine 4500 Kingsway #1691 Burnaby BC (604) 431-9498 Authentic Lebanese,syrian type of food ...cash. 7 days. LTH: perfect shawarma served at Abdul’s in Burnaby B.C. (suburb of Vancouver.)". I probably should add to the def maybe section.

In Atlanta, we have decent authentic Mexican, vg Salvadoran, vg Peruvian (despite lacking the great seafood Peru is known for), good Korean--altho not as good as Chicago. We lack any authentic Thai whatsover, such as can be gotten in NYC and Chicago (the overall best and most abundant IMHO) and at Lotus Of Siam in Las Vegas. We lack decent Greek restos, totally lack Portuguese--two of our favorite cuisines second cousins from across the Mediterranean, no coincidence since all of our seafood is flown or trucked in--the antithesis of boat fresh.

I'd add South Ocean Seafood in Richmond to that list for the less flashy, less expensive, and less commercial flavours...

I'd consider the gelato place at the corner of Homer and Davie in Yaletown.  It is far less crowded, and has a cleaner taste than Mondo... 

consider adding Sakae to this list for sushi - one of my favourite downtown sushi places.  It is in a basement with another Japanese restaurant called Aki.  Sakae is a straightforward traditional sushi bar... 

Depends what kind of soup dumplings you are talking about. You may like Norboo, which is a Korean place that has some good soup options.

South Ocean Seafood. Not much mention hereabouts, if so I've missed it. Less flashy, Less commercial: does this mean less reliance on manufactured shrimp substance and commercial won-ton wrappers and weighted more towards 'home style'?

Gelato. Can't have too many suggestions, as extensive walking and shopping are primary means to explore and to work off calories.

Sakae. How does Sakae compare value wise to Okado?

Soup dumplings. Should have been more specific. Xio Long Bao aka Shanghai Juicy Dumplings aka Soup Dumplings. (My wife is not high on Korean food, although I am, especially fresh silken tofu and bubbling spicy crocks of Soon Dobu Jigae--which since we can get it well prepared in ATL is again not high on the list, although its a 'clean' healthy alternative to the heavy eating that I sense is coming.)

If you're heading up to Whistler and have cooking facilities then stop @ Whole Foods in West Van-pricey but they'll almost certainly have Sockeye from Alaska.

However-if you have a chance to buy/cook some White Chinook-known as Spring Salmon here-do so a unique and flavourful animal.

GI Market might have Alaskan Sockeye as well-often White Spring too.

Off to work will chime in later if I can.

...if you have a chance to buy/cook some White Chinook-known as Spring Salmon here-do so a unique and flavourful animal.

Have had white salmon once, about a year ago at a pricey Chicago place, Nick's out by O'Hare in Rosemont. Considering it was cooked too much (med) and I successfully manouvered out of the buerre blanc which I managed to get on the side, it was pretty darn good.

When it comes to REALLY fresh fish, we eat with the relish of cats and the intensity of dogs. Fingers are crossed as to what the boats may bring.

Must second the Yaletown Gelato recommendation; it's also just down the street from your hotel. Small but tasty selection. If you want your choice of 40 or 50 flavours, though, Mondo's a good place to go.

If you feel like treating yourselves to one fabulous pastry after you have pre-burned a bunch of calories walking about our fair city, Ganache Patisserie is a short stroll from your hotel as well, Homer Street between Davie and Drake. Really really tasty.

You're looking for a bare-bones diner? Nelson Cafe at Nelson and Homer fits that bill...I wouldn't normally recommend it though, as it's so bare bones, and I like espresso coffee in the morning, not the diner-style stuff they have. The Templeton at Granville and Helmcken has a good breakfast (they only open at 9 a.m. though). Caffe Artigiano on Howe between Robson and Granville would be a good choice for a good coffee. I also have a soft spot for Gutenberg's Cafe in the Library building (across from your hotel, they front on Robson Street near the corner of Hamilton), they have good lattes and a little thing called the breakfast bagel, tasty. Good sweets, nothing fancy, and nice panini and soups.

Okada sushi: I was there again last night, it's pretty low key (read not fusion, more traditional) compared to a lot of places in Vancouver, but it's very good, and it's not expensive at all for sushi (four of us ate well (sushi, sashimi, karaage, sunomono, gomae, lots of tempura, beef tongue, that dish of rice with tea poured in and salmon) and had a few drinks for $160 incl. tax last night). Shiro Sushi on Cambie just over the bridge at 15th Street is also a good hole in the wall place with excellent fresh fish.

Re: traffic downtown: there are bits of construction (street and buildings) going on here and there, and things really do tend get clogged up between 5 and 6, so I'd avoid trying to get anywhere from where you are during that hour, weekdays. (I live quite near where you're staying, and walk through, often more quickly than the cars.) Not to say it's impossible, but it can be annoying and more time-consuming than it should be. Also, not sure what your maps may say but Homer, Cambie, and Beatty streets downtown are now two-directional, which also adds to the snail's pace of downtown/Yaletown traffic.

I hope you enjoy your stay! and don't hesitate to keep picking our brains :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Must second the Yaletown Gelato recommendation

Ganache Patisserie is a short stroll from your hotel as well, Homer Street between Davie and Drake. Really really tasty.

You're looking for a bare-bones diner? Nelson Cafe ... Gutenberg's Cafe in the Library building

Okada sush, Shiro Sushi on Cambie just over the bridge at 15th Street

...don't hesitate to keep picking our brains :smile:

Added to list 'Must second the Yaletown Gelato recommendation'. Anyone have the name?

We'll definitely check out Ganache, hoping they haven't succumbed to the chemical/industrial magic that pervades the baking industry, but rather hews to the artisanal wave that has swept Paris the last few years.

Nelson Cafe? Ok, I got it--but is it good? by that I mean first thing in the morning good, not late night too many drinks greasy good.

Okada, Shiro Sushi sound like EXACTLY our speed. Have added to list.

Me? Shy, kimosabee? I have been accused of many things, but shy has never been one (grin).

My vision of a successful trip is my wife turning to me about the sixth day and asking why we didn't just stay out in Richmond rather than downtown (grin).

Edited by Steve Drucker (log)

I recommend considering Cru for a dinner. While the focus isn't totally on local as compared to Aurora, you will get an opportunity to sample some BC wines by the glass. And I would recommend Cru over Pair in a heartbeat. The other option for BC wine stores is Vintropolis on West 1st Avenue and Chestnut. It is very close to Granville Island. I suggest you go there to buy wine before heading up to Whistler where the wine prices are significantly inflated.

Cheers,

Karole

Must second the Yaletown Gelato recommendation

Ganache Patisserie is a short stroll from your hotel as well, Homer Street between Davie and Drake. Really really tasty.

You're looking for a bare-bones diner? Nelson Cafe ... Gutenberg's Cafe in the Library building

Okada sush, Shiro Sushi on Cambie just over the bridge at 15th Street

...don't hesitate to keep picking our brains :smile:

Added to list 'Must second the Yaletown Gelato recommendation'. Anyone have the name?

We'll definitely check out Ganache, hoping they haven't succumbed to the chemical/industrial magic that pervades the baking industry, but rather hews to the artisanal wave that has swept Paris the last few years.

Nelson Cafe? Ok, I got it--but is it good? by that I mean first thing in the morning good, not late night too many drinks greasy good.

Okada, Shiro Sushi sound like EXACTLY our speed. Have added to list.

Me? Shy, kimosabee? I have been accused of many things, but shy has never been one (grin).

My vision of a successful trip is my wife turning to me about the sixth day and asking why we didn't just stay out in Richmond rather than downtown (grin).

Hee hee--Yaletown Gelato is the name of the store. It is right on the corner of Homer and Davie, kitty/cater-corner from the hair salon.

Ganache is a small-scale, exquisite little gem. AFAIK, it's all handmade, and there is nothing remotely chemical about anything I've had there. Other than that dopamine (or whichever brain chemical it is) analog with the Chocolat-Caramel which turns me into a puddle, that is :wink:

Nelson...well, you will be able to see it if you walk by. It's not the kind of truck stop/American diner kind of place, it's a greasy spoon, very cheap, with a loyal clientele. When I actually eat breakfast (seldom), I tend to prefer a Denny's style extravaganza (I mean that wrt choice, not quality of food, mind you!) or the best sauce Hollandaise I can find for my eggs. Speaking of Hollandaise, some people swear by Elixir in the Opus Hotel, but I haven't eaten there. On the other hand, the Eggs Benedict at Bistro Pastis on the weekend are just divine, as are their little potatoes, and you can follow them up with a profiterole if you like. If you are the sort go to Starbucks for a coffee and a bagel in the morning, then I would recommend Gutenberg's, which is almost as close to your hotel, and (IMO) serves better coffee, although they don't do fruit smoothieccinos or anything like that...and then if you want the full-on caffe latte with pretty designs, or a lovely Americano in the afternoon, then Artigiano is the place to go.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

relish of cats

I`m not that sure if this is a BC speciality. I have not seen it in any of the gourmet food shops here . but if anyones got a recipe i`ll make a batch .

also Gyoza king, 1508 Robson St, may be up your alley.

and as for breakfast i`ll chime in our fave Joes grill on 4th avenue kitsilano.

but judging by your initial post you seem to be on the right lines.

enjoy the trip

tt

I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think La Regalade bears any relation to the Paris location - but don't let that stop you - I've heard wonderful things (I've only eaten there once & didn't enjoy it - but I think that was more of an in-law problem than a food problem).

That's correct, La Regelade shares the name only with the Paris bistro; (Where I had my best meal of 2004 last November), although the West Van version is absolutely superb in a different way. The cooking is not as sophisticated as the Paris version, but it does offer the same genourosity, value and satisfaction. The only other similarity is that they are both a hell of a long way from anything else.

And make reservations at Shanghai Wind or show up before 5:30.

I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think La Regalade bears any relation to the Paris location - but don't let that stop you - I've heard wonderful things (I've only eaten there once & didn't enjoy it - but I think that was more of an in-law problem than a food problem).

I just googled around, and I think that you are right. I ASSumed that 'moving his Paris starred bistro' meant the original La Regalade in Paris. Doh.

If you're planning to go to Shanghai Wind, they are closed on Tuesdays and you will need to call ahead early for reservations. I've tried calling twice for reservations recently, and they were all booked until 8:30 p.m. when I called in the afternoon! :sad: (Called on Fridays, which I suspect is their busiest night.) You should be able to snag a table at lunch if you go early (around 11ish) for dinner (around 5pm).

Edited by Ling (log)