• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Restaurant Recommendations

sgschef

oh i highly recommend chambar and feenies. if you like congee, i highly recommend congee house on broadway and quebec st.

actually, if you'd like to go to a cool little spot for breakfast, i recommend cafe zen in kitsilano (yew and york st) very good casual dining and really close to kits beach so if you'd like to walk off your breakfast, it's a great spot! enjoy your stay here in vancouver! :smile:

Edited by Dining Diva (log)

I've always enjoyed "C" in the past and present. Fiction wine bar is another choice for great wines and small plates. Chambar is recommended for Australian inspired martinis, cocktails, and of course Belgium beer. Cru and Parkside are high on my list. For Dim Sum try Imperial on Burrad Street...great food and service.

Enjoy,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

What about Bin941?

The Bins (there are two of them) are a couple of my favorite places in Vancouver. You need to get there early (5-6ish) or wait for a seat as they are quite small. Room is loud and crowded, but I really like the food. Small plates, decent wine list. However, based on the list of Seattle places you provided, other than Wild Ginger (based on reviews only - never been myself), I don't see a fit.

I'd second Fiction, Fennie's, Lumiere if you want fancy, West (which I would do instead of Lumiere), C is a great choice for Waterfront-like dining, Chambar, Happa Izakaya ... how long are you here for? :raz:

Perhaps I can reciprocate should anyone want Seattle recommendations.

I'll take you up on that offer soon. Wife & I are coming down May 13-15

A.

Definitely West. It won Restaurant of the Year at this year's Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards. (Disclosure - I work with West.) C for sure, Chambar (who won Best New Restaurant at previously mentioned awards) and I'd do Fiction over the Bin any day. (Disclosure - I also work with Fiction).

Feenie's is another great brunch/lunch spot, and if you are downtown, pop by Sen5es for a divine dessert.

For full results of the 2005 Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards for other ideas, visit www.vancouvermagazine.com.

Have a great visit!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

There are some top flight Asian Restaurants in Vancouver

Keeping things to the Downtown Core:

Okada - unpretentious basic sushi and sashimi

Hapa Izakaya - Japanese bar food / Tapas

Guu w/ Garlic - Same as above

Kirin Downtown

Billed as Northern Chinese - but emphasis is on Cantonese Food.

Given your time frame (wed-sat) and that you are booked 2 nights I would suggest something along the lines of Parkside or Cru for 1 dinner and possibly The Cannery, a true Vancouver classic, for another. Do a Saturday brunch at Lift or Provence Marinaside and DimSum on Sunday (Pink Pearl or SunSuiWah).

Spend Friday afternoon shopping on Robson Street and then slurp some oysters at the oyster bar at Joe Forte's before dinner.

Also try and squeeze in a lunch at Il Giardino and maybe some afternoon cocktails at Bacchus and your Vancouver weekend will be pretty well set.

Enjoy and please post your results later.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

For those of you who know the Seattle dining scene, we frequent Union, Brasserie Margaux, Waterfront, Lark, Wild Giner etc, just to give you an idea of the level of restaurant we prefer.

We were lucky enough to hit Lark the last time we were in seattle. it was a fantastic place, and i don't think we have any place quite like it in vancouver. the menu seemed to focus on regional foods (i especially remember the artisanal cheeses) in small, tapas-like servings so that you can try many different tastes - but not a tasting menu. very sophisticated food and room but still very casual and not too trendy. it was about letting the food have the glory - no see through restrooms, v.i.p. tables or palm piloted waitstaff. apart from a regrettable debate at our table over whether britney spears is "hot" or "not", we had a great evening.

i think the closest thing to Lark in town would be aurora bistro on main street near broadway ave. as a bonus, it is a great neighbourhood with a great used book store (pulp fiction right next door) and coffee shop (soma).

Hi SeAAttle

I'm the person who posted on the Wild Ginger thread. If you like Wild Ginger do try Wild Rice - it's a much smaller establishment but might be fun for an interesting martini and some modern Chinese food.

Otherwise, the other suggestions all sound great.

Enjoy

I had a quick bite (Kung Po) and a Red Stripe stumpie at Wild Rice right before the Chambar dinner and was a happy camper as per usual. Really superb group there. It's team service, which I've alway feared as a bizarre concept. Beyond the staff being great - vets for the most part (several have been there since the first year) - the food is always unique. If you like things busy and cool, best go on Thurs, Fr, Sat.

Speaking of Back of Bus advertising a la Feenie, Wild Rice is doing the same.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

yes wild rice, how could i have forgotten about that place. i love it there. the kung pao is excellent as is the buffalo. the drinks are pretty delicious too... while waiting for our table the last time, i enjoyed a drink with lychee liqueur in it (sorry can't remember the name of it)

the drinks are pretty delicious too...  while waiting for our table the last time, i enjoyed a drink with lychee liqueur in it (sorry can't remember the name of it)

Perhaps it was a Lotus made with lychee-infused vodka, lychee juice, lime cordial and ginger ale?

No, I'm not The Amazing Kreskin... I plucked the description off the website. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks for the amazing list of suggestions. Now, the challenge - how to choose?

Just returned from a wonderful experience at Vij's. We have nothing like it in Seattle. Amazing food, excellent service, all supervised by the owner (Vij, I assume). What a charming fellow.

We are staying at the Westin Bayshore so I was happy to see Lift recommended. I think we will have brunch there on Saturday am.

Tomorrow night - C. I am inclined to try West and Chambar for our remaining two nights, but will read a bit more first.

Thanks to you all. I will check back daily.

For those of you who know the Seattle dining scene, we frequent Union, Brasserie Margaux, Waterfront, Lark, Wild Giner etc, just to give you an idea of the level of restaurant we prefer.

We were lucky enough to hit Lark the last time we were in seattle. it was a fantastic place, and i don't think we have any place quite like it in vancouver. the menu seemed to focus on regional foods (i especially remember the artisanal cheeses) in small, tapas-like servings so that you can try many different tastes - but not a tasting menu. very sophisticated food and room but still very casual and not too trendy. it was about letting the food have the glory - no see through restrooms, v.i.p. tables or palm piloted waitstaff. apart from a regrettable debate at our table over whether britney spears is "hot" or "not", we had a great evening.

i think the closest thing to Lark in town would be aurora bistro on main street near broadway ave. as a bonus, it is a great neighbourhood with a great used book store (pulp fiction right next door) and coffee shop (soma).

We have been to Lark a couple of times and enjoyed it very much. Chef Jon Sundstrom left one of our favorites to found Lark. You might want to try Union on another visit south. I would put it in the same class with Lark (and perhaps a bit above) according to your list of important features.

May try to work in Aurora Bistro for a lunch. I am at UBC Thursday but Friday lunch is open.

Thanks for the amazing list of suggestions.  Now, the challenge - how to choose?

Just returned from a wonderful experience at Vij's.  We have nothing like it in Seattle.  Amazing food, excellent service, all supervised by the owner (Vij, I assume).  What a charming fellow.

We are staying at the Westin Bayshore so I was happy to see Lift recommended.  I think we will have brunch there on Saturday am. 

Tomorrow night - C.  I am inclined to try West and Chambar for our remaining two nights, but will read a bit more first.

Thanks to you all.  I will check back daily.

Glad to hear that you had a great time again at Vij's... from my experience the food is always good and Vikram is the consummate host.

Now I'm sure you will enjoy C again and just so you know, I did not leave it off my original list of recommendations for any reason other than that you already planned on going there.

As to West and Chambar... absolutely top notch choices. I'm sure you won't be disappointed and as I am link happy today will add some further praise to your reading material.

First up links to other threads on West:

West Early Prix Fixe, Tried it yet?

West Restaurant, DOV Experience

West Restaurant in Vancouver, Tasting menu at the Chef's Table

Awards and recognition for West & Chef Hawksworth

And now Chambar:

April 25th Dinner @ Chambar, Chamber

Going to Chambar tomorrow night (sat 16th), Must have menu items?

While this thread is not specifically about Chambar, it sings the praises of it, along with other restaurants we've recommended above: Good Eats Near UBC

This one's probably interesting from a "historical perspective"

Chambar Opening?

Okay... that's probably more than you needed :laugh:

Oh and p.s. Aurora isn't open for lunch at least according to their website: Aurora Bistro

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

It appears as if you've got it all sussed out with your selections. Everything is bang on. Vij's is a great start, and though I know nothing of Saturday brunch at Lift, I'd love to hear your report! :wink: C is a no brainer. Go for it.

With your remaining choices of West and Chambar, you've nailed it.

Sounds awesome. Have a great time and don't forget to keep us up to date on your impressions of our little city.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Chambar was fully booked for Saturday as was West (except for late times). The new plan is to go to West Friday evening and Fiction on Saturday.

Thanks for the links, appreciator. Will have to find something else for lunch, but that should not be a problem.

The weather is gorgeous again today! We had a nice walk in Stanley Park yesterday.

Chambar was fully booked for Saturday as was West (except for late times).  The new plan is to go to West Friday evening and Fiction on Saturday. 

Thanks for the links, appreciator.  Will have to find something else for lunch, but that should not be a problem.

The weather is gorgeous again today!  We had a nice walk in Stanley Park yesterday.

Did you use the "egullet backdoor reservation system " ?? Both those restaurants have multiple members on the board. Drop them a PM and see if there is a cancelation.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Heh there SeAAtle.... how was the rest of your trip? Do tell......

I'm now going to send you a PM in order to, hopefully, insure that you come back and glory (or gory :blink::biggrin: ) us with all the splendid, or even not so splendid, details about the rest of the meals you had while here in our fabulous city :cool:

Inquiring minds (aka nosy parkers) want to know :laugh:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 1 month later...

After the recent sustainability lunch at "C" I would highly recommend, nay, insist, that you go there. Very Vancouver; locally sustainably sourced seafood, unbelievable quality, immense care.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I have been asked by friends in England to give suggestions for three top restaurant dinners for friends of theirs who will be in Vancouver for three days on their way to an Alaskan cruise.

These people are very well traveled and food saavy. I don't think the price of the meal is a consideration. What they want is world class food and wine.

The first two restauarants that come to mind are obviously West and Lumiere I was also thinking of C if the weather is nice and they can get a seat ouside. The view is wonderful.

I have not eaten at Chambar - would it make the list? Also I have recently enjoyed a wonderful meal at Cioppiono in Yaletown. I don't know if it would be "world class", but it was darn fine!

Any other suggestions?

Life is short, eat dessert first

England swings like a pendulum do

Bobbies on bicycles two-by-two

Westminster Abbey - the tower of Big Ben

The rosy-red cheeks of the little chil-dren

Well... I reckon most Brits would wow @ Happa Izakaya - particularly because of its value, as most Japanese restaurants in the UK came in at the high end - and for blowtorch showmanship on the mackerel!

Curry is a national dish in Britain - but Vij's is Vancouver's answer to Indian cuisine. It's great to see women cooks visibly working in a restaurant - it's comforting.

Heck... I do recommend Chambar. I've only been there once - but I had a stellar time. Every little English person should experience the Venison Tartare.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I left this post feeling duh! - for not suggesting/recommending Aurora Bistro. Chef Jeff offers a true Vancouver/BC/Canada dining experience in one room.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I would recommend the following:

"C" creative seafood unlike anything in the U.K.

Aurora Bistro for dinner or a great brunch with it's all Canadian ingredient theme.

Lumiere...and it's always a hit with the Brits and their exchange rate! Imagine for them Gordon Ramsey prices for 50% less.

Imperial Chinese for dim sum on the weekends.

I'd give Chambar a miss... there's lots of Belgium style restaurants in Central London as well as any Indian restaurant (There's way too many options in London)

Tojo's for cutting edge Japanese.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG