• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Restaurant Recommendations

sgschef

One small request......if there is any extra room in your luggage please bring back some wasabi osembe :wub:

I have a ten year craving I must fill.

CM

CM, you have to try the snack food I just became addicted to. You can pick it up at Fujiya (Clark and Venables) or probably the Kobinya on Robson. It's in a potato chip type bag, the picture on front is of deep fried flat, rectangular shaped chips topped with nori, and in the left top corner, it's says in hiragana "wasabi". These will definitely satisfy 10 years of craving with one bag. Wasabi knockout!

Or you can also try the dish at Octopus Garden called "Oh Wasabi". It'll make you cry, or should I say sob.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Back on topic, my recommendations for your party would be Coast or Parkside. Although it sounds like it won't be a "typical" bachelorette party (kudos to you) I think if your girlfriends are anything like mine, it can still get a little loud with the stories and laughing. Something you can get away with at both restaurants. I just went to Bistro Pastis, and the space is tight. Haven't been to C for a few years now, but as I remember, it was somewhat of a reserved atmosphere, and more expensive than my two suggestions. Hope this helps.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I haven't eaten at la Belle Auberge but I saw Bruno Marti on City Cooks. His little discourse about not seasoning his food with salt and pepper told me all I needed to know about the place.

How strange! I remember the chef instructor at JJ's was doing a cooking demo at PNE a few years ago, and he said the same thing. He was making crab cakes. I answered some trivia question correctly, and got to eat them. They were good, but they definitely needed salt.

sobaicecream, you should consider West. It is memorable night out. Maybe call/email them and ask to arrange what you want, perhaps they will do some set menu for you at a price that will work. The room is very lovely and comfortable and the service is excellent. I managed to go there once when someone else was paying :biggrin: We didn't actually know someone else was going to pay, so we were reserved on several fronts. It is on my top 10 list of dining experiences. Might be worth the extra cash for memorable, or as I say, who knows what you can arrange. You don't get things unless you ask, I recommend asking!

sobaicecream, you should consider West.  It is memorable night out.  Maybe call/email them and ask to arrange what you want, perhaps they will do some set menu for you at a price that will work.  The room is very lovely and comfortable and the service is excellent.  I managed to go there once when someone else was paying  :biggrin:  We didn't actually know someone else was going to pay, so we were reserved on several fronts.  It is on my top 10 list of dining experiences.  Might be worth the extra cash for memorable, or as I say, who knows what you can arrange.  You don't get things unless you ask, I recommend asking!

And also keep in mind that Chef Hawksworth is an eGullet member. PM him and let him know you're coming. He'll at least come and say "hi". Bring him a kolachy and who knows ... :wink:

A.

Back on topic, my recommendations for your party would be Coast or Parkside. Although it sounds like it won't be a "typical" bachelorette party (kudos to you) I think if your girlfriends are anything like mine, it can still get a little loud with the stories and laughing. Something you can get away with at both restaurants. I just went to Bistro Pastis, and the space is tight. Haven't been to C for a few years now, but as I remember, it was somewhat of a reserved atmosphere, and more expensive than my two suggestions. Hope this helps.

That's a good point, Butter. I think I'll scratch C off my list.

while discussing this earlier today, someone suggested Brix. I haven't been there in a while, but it is worth considering ... others on this thread may have more recent experiences there and can comment. My experience is good service, very nice food, reliable wine expertise and a dressy/comfortable room.

• 2 months later...

We're looking for don't-miss places unique to Vancouver, not tourist stops. I'm still kicking myself for missing Schwartz's in Montreal.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Open for lunch and dinner:

West, Raincity Grill (Brunch on Sat & Sun), CinCin, LIFT.

Open for dinner only:

Lumière, Chambar, Vij's, Tojo's, Blue Water Café.

These should give you a good idea of what Vancouver's food scene is like but including mainly its finest (so you don't miss out). Since you're staying for only two nights, I recommend you at least have lunch at West. But you'll have to make a decision between many of the restaurants.

For not-so-upscale dining but places that are still unique to Vancouver, even a stroll through Richmond, Gastown, and Chinatown should bring you to places for a good experience. Try Phnom Penh in Chinatown, Pink Pearl or Sun Sui Wah for Dim Sum, or Hapa Izakaya on Robson. Vancouver's restaurant scene is really broad - narrowing specifically what you want to see would be good.

Edited by rêvasser (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

OK, to be more specific, I'm looking for something that's special to Vancouver, like San Francisco sour dough, Maine lobster, etc. From the responses I'm getting a sense there are some good Chinese places there; the equal of Toronto?

Edited by bobmac (log)

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

OK, to be more specific, I'm looking for something that's special to Vancouver, like San Francisco sour dough, Maine lobster, etc. From the responses I'm getting a sense there are some good Chinese places there; the equal of Toronto?

Jeez Bob! You know them's fightin' words around here! :laugh:

I've never eaten Chinese food in TO, so I can't make the comparison. But all Asian cuisines are well-represented in Vancouver. Understand that Vancouver is very much NOT Toronto or Montreal insofar as food is concerned. Our influences are much different. Chef Fowke came up with the best description of Vancouver I've heard yet ... calling it the "Wild West" of Canadian cuisine.

If I was to suggest one place for you to visit, a place that you would kick yourself for missing, it would be Go Fish! (nobody here will be surprised at that coming from me :hmmm: ) Full disclosure: I have absolutely no connection to Go Fish! whatsoever, I just really like the food. The fish & chips, grilled salmon and oyster po'boy are all must try's. But IMO, I'd go for the soup alone.

Go Fish! is also near what I consider to be the Foodie highlight of Vancouver .... Granville Island. Also near-by is Patisserie LeBeau for gaufres, and Les Amis du Fromage for, um, cheese. Sorry about the lack of links ... I'm on my way to work ....

Hope this helps.

A.

Try Aurora Bistro on Main Street for 100% B.C. food items including an all B.C. wine list. The chef, ex Bishop's, does a great job. For Chinese; I enjoy the dim sum at Imperial and our newest and hottest restaurant Chambar would be fun for a Belgium inspired menu.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I think that if you are looking for something uniquely Vancouver - I would take advantage of the array of the Asian food.

Ignoring what part of the city you will based (geographically - Vancouver is not spread out, so getting around by car is very doable) - here are my opinions.

Most of the Chinese food in Vancouver is cantonese based, with a Hong Kong slant.

The Kirin on Cambie and 12th is very good for dim sum. You tick your order off a ticket which keeps the food much fresher. If you have problems deciphering the order - usually a waiter can help you out.

Sun Sui Wah on Main St. is very good for dinner, they do a good job on seafood and the roasted squab is crispy and darkly rich.

Accross the street from Sun Sui Wah is Shanghai Yan Yun which is a personal favorite of mine for Shanghainese Dim Sum. Juicy pork buns, flaky radish cakes, pan fried buns are hand made and delicous (and cheap cheap).

The Japanese food is also very good in Vancouver and reasonably priced. In fact, I could never find a Japnese restaurant in San Francisco fully satisfying after growing up in Vancouver.

Izakaya cuisine (bar food - or Japanese Tapas) is a real Vancouver phenom. I have lived in a number of cities have not seen the whole Izakaya thing like I have in here. They are alot of fun, with Japanese wait staff yelling out your orders adding to the boisterous beer-y atmosphere. I personally like Guu w/ Garlic on Robson the most. I went last night and had grilled yellow tail cheek that was succulent but clean and fresh tasting. Their chicken karaage is very good also - you can tell that they keep their oil HOT. For a more refined take on izakaya try Hapa Izakaya, also on Robson.

For sushi - many people swear by Tojo's on Broadway. I think that Tojo's is very good for a different take on sushi - but I find the food a little over manipulated. I like Okada alot for the basic sushi - nothing too fancy, but very fresh sushi and sashimi. Okada will also feature seasonal ingredients served in traditional preparations that emphasize the purity of the ingredient (I had a pine mushroom soup served in a teapot with small teacups, it really pulled you into the moment, forcing you to savor the soup slowly).

Also - Korean food is really taking off in Vancouver. There is a large population of Korean students and home style Korean food is now very abundant. Spicy soups, dumplings and homemade kimchi really showcase Korean food much better than the more well known BBQ's. Jang Mo Jib - also on Robson has some really delicous tofu soups, pan fried dumpings, stone bowl rice, kalbi... uhh I am getting hungry.

But that being said - as you can see from the other postings that there many many non-Asian options that you should not overlook.

West and Lumiere are both landmarks. Both takethe best of west coast ingredients and apply classic techniques. It is a horserace between the two as which one is better (the current consensus being West). Checkout their websites.

Gofish will provide you with the quitesential Vancouver experience of sitting outside by the docks, a great view, and tremendously fresh fish and chips and seafood soups. You just sit back and take it all in...

Vancouver's hottest restaurant right now is Chambar. The perfect mix of great staff, a beautifully modern and hip room, and great unfussy food.

So there you go - now you know why the Vancouver forum is so active. So much good food - so little time.

Sorry about the rambling post - guess that Toronto remark got me going! :raz:

• 2 weeks later...

We will spend 4 nights in Vancouver and would appreciate recommendations for restaurants we should not miss. Arriving Wed and plan to go to Vij's which we really enjoyed 4 years ago on our last (and first) visit to Vancouver. We have a reservation at C on Thurs night. Again, a restaurant we enjoyed on our last visit. Opinions about these two restaurants would be appreciated, since much can change in 4 years.

What about Bin941?

For those of you who know the Seattle dining scene, we frequent Union, Brasserie Margaux, Waterfront, Lark, Wild Giner etc, just to give you an idea of the level of restaurant we prefer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Perhaps I can reciprocate should anyone want Seattle recommendations.

Well there's Chambar, Adesso, Bistro Pastis, Cru, Parkside, West, Lumiere, Le Crocodile Bacchus, Il Giardino and many, many more. Don't forget to pop into the Hamilton Street Grill for Vancouver Egullet indoctrination via Gingerbread Pudding... pretty much key to your whole Vancouver Foodie Experience I'd say. :biggrin:

I've never eaten at any of the places that you've referenced above so can't say how any of my recommendations compare but I'm sure someone else will pop in with that info.

I also think we've covered some recs before I'm going to see if I can dig up some links and report back.

Here's one and seeing as we've been having such fabulous weather lately, it's almost like August right now:

Two nights in Vancouver in August, Where do we want to eat?

in case you want to try some Asian food there's this thread:

Asian food in Vancouver, Help me plan my trip!

This thread was kinda fun:

Culinary Tourist in Vancouver, How would you spend your day?

I think that's about as far back digging as I can go... but I know that there are quite a few more threads with specific "I'm coming to Vancouver, where should I eat recommendations ".

edited to add links and to add a couple of places I inadvertantly forgot. :blink:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Thanks for the recommendations and the links. I had found Chambar and Lumiere as possibilities. Will keep reading and make some decisions.

I note that C is not on your list - should we switch to another restaurant?

Edited by SeAAttle (log)

If you're looking for places that do well in defining Vancouver on the food front then I think C should definitely be on your list, and Raincity Grill.

Others not mentioned but worth checking out because they are unique to our little nook of the world:

Fish House

Brix

Wild Rice

Lift

Coast

White Spot

Feenies

I'd also suggest that you try and squeeze in a day trip to Victoria.

Have a great time while you're here.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine