• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whirlwind Seattle Visit

We're planning a trip to Seattle for the end of September, and boy, will it be fast.

We're taking the train from Eugene (at 5:30 am :sad: ), arriving in Seattle around 12:30.

Lunch: Szechuan Noodle Bowl

after lunch, check into hotel and do touristy things.

Dinner: Dahlia Lounge

next morning--

Brunch: Etta's

1:00 Mariners game

Shop for picnic dinner at Spanish Table

Catch train back to Eugene, to arrive at 12:30 a.m. :wacko:

So--any thoughts? Recommendations? Warnings?

Thanks!

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Boudreaux moved from Lumiere in Vancouver to Vessel in Seattle, and there've been some posts on the stuff he's doing with cocktails there (the link is in post #3) and I'd be interested in reading how the place is working out.

vessel is working out fantastically- the cocktails are very nice as is the decor. ZigZag on the Pike Place hill climb is another top notch place for cocktails.

Since you are already going to Dahlia for dinner maybe try something different for brunch? Cafe Campagne in the market, Steelhead Diner, Le Pichet, etc will give you a change of pace from Tom Douglas. (but I like Dahlia so don't get me wrong)

So--any thoughts?  Recommendations?  Warnings?

If you go to Spanish Table, ask for Catherine in the wine section to recommend an assortment of meats and cheeses for you, or for tastes of this and that. Although we do buy an occasional interesting cheese there, we go to Spanish Table for their selection of port, not for picnic food. I'd go to DeLaurenti's at the southeast end of the market for a far greater selection of breads, cheeses, meats, fantastic grilled artichoke hearts, marinated beans, etc. They also have a take out counter at the east end of the store. Hit Three Girls Bakery for dessert and you'll be all set to make the train trek back to Eugene.

We're planning a trip to Seattle for the end of September, and boy, will it be fast. 

We're taking the train from Eugene (at 5:30 am  :sad: ), arriving in Seattle around 12:30.

Lunch:  Szechuan Noodle Bowl

after lunch, check into hotel and do touristy things.

Dinner:  Dahlia Lounge

next morning--

Brunch:  Etta's

1:00 Mariners game

Catch train back to Eugene, to arrive at 12:30 a.m.  :wacko:

So--any thoughts?  Recommendations?  Warnings?

Thanks!

Suggestion: drop the Noodle lunch and go to Pecos Pit BBQ for lunch. You can catch a quick cab from the train station and get a delicious, heavily loaded bbq sandwich. The menu is short, but they produce kick ass Q. Only open m - f.

On the first day I would go to Green Leaf next door to Szechuan Noodle Bowl and grab some apps - especially the spring rolls, and then get your noodle on, although the noodles at Green Leaf are great too. Second the different place for brunch idea, since you'll be going to a Tom Douglas place already for dinner. If you have time, after Spanish Table stop by Zig Zag for a cocktail, since you'll be close by and maybe pick up a tamale or two from El Puerco Lloron next door to Zig Zag to add to your picnic, and maybe stop by De Laurenti to pick up some more stuff to picnic on including Salumi meats and some pastas from Tavolata to make the next day. Have fun.

Rocky

I second the Green Leaf suggestion. I've been there twice in the last week.

For drinks I might also recommend Kurrant. I just ran across this place over the weekend while looking for a place to have cocktails before heading to dinner at Lark. The bartender makes his own flavored syrups. I had a Tarragon Swizzle that was quite possibly the tastiest cocktail I've ever had. My friend had a sort of cosmo type drink garnished with fresh currants and rimmed with the powder made from drying Campari. Very nice. So nice that we went back after dinner and brought more friends. The bartender was also happy to tell us how to go about making our own syrups and such.

Pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/particle-wave...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/particle-wave...in/photostream/

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

For drinks I might also recommend Kurrant. I just ran across this place over the weekend while looking for a place to have cocktails before heading to dinner at Lark. The bartender makes his own flavored syrups. I had a Tarragon Swizzle that was quite possibly the tastiest cocktail I've ever had. My friend had a sort of cosmo type drink garnished with fresh currants and rimmed with the powder made from drying Campari. Very nice. So nice that we went back after dinner and brought more friends.  The bartender was also happy to tell us how to go about making our own syrups and such.

Not to hijack this thread, but where is Kurrant? I did a google search and couldn't find it.

Nice picture in the PI, by the way!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Thanks. If memory serves (and given the drinking that night it might not) it was on Pike a block or so up the hill from Kincora and Man Ray.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Great ideas, all! Thanks! (And keep them coming--we're not going for three more weeks.)

Green Leaf was on the top of my list, but we're traveling with older, non-foodie friends who vetoed any Southeast Asian. (Frankly, I'm surprised they suggested Szechuan, but I'm not complaining!) They're also not into cocktails, so if a special trip for a drink is in the works, it will probably just be me and Mr. Care. (Hey, that sounds like a great idea . . . !)

Timing Sunday afternoon is going to be really tight (the game starts at 1:00, our train leaves at 5:30), so I'm hoping we'll actually have time to make it to Spanish Table and catch the train on time without missing the final inning(s).

I'm taking the advice to trade Etta's for a different brunch; I'll run all of the ideas by our friends and will report.

Thanks again!

For drinks I might also recommend Kurrant. I just ran across this place over the weekend while looking for a place to have cocktails before heading to dinner at Lark. The bartender makes his own flavored syrups. I had a Tarragon Swizzle that was quite possibly the tastiest cocktail I've ever had. My friend had a sort of cosmo type drink garnished with fresh currants and rimmed with the powder made from drying Campari. Very nice. So nice that we went back after dinner and brought more friends.  The bartender was also happy to tell us how to go about making our own syrups and such.

Not to hijack this thread, but where is Kurrant? I did a google search and couldn't find it.

Nice picture in the PI, by the way!

LOL! I pm'd him the same question! we are so easy....... :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

We’re back!

As it turned out, we didn’t take the train. (The plan had been to play bridge all the way up and all the way back—the Talgo trains have 2 x 2 seating with a table between—but Amtrak just took the Talgos off-line for repairs.) So, we drove, which was more efficient, but cut down considerably on the card playing!

On the other hand, driving meant that we could do eGullet research for meals on the road . . . .

On the way to Seattle, we stopped at Ranch House BBQ, outside Olympia, based on Daddy-A’s recommendation.

I had the pulled pork sandwich, which was excellent. The high point, though, was the HUGE serving of fantastic garlic fries—absolutely superb, not too greasy, clearly from actual potatoes. I’m embarrassed to admit that I ate the entire serving. There was an article posted on the wall that said that they go through 400 pounds of potatoes a day, so I suspect that I’m not the only one entranced by their salty garlicky goodness. The coleslaw was excellent, too, but took a big backseat to the fries.

Seven hours later, we were still pretty full, but managed to drag ourselves to the Dahlia Lounge. It’s been on my list to visit for years, as we’ve always enjoyed Etta’s, but the stars were finally aligned to make it happen. I had the mutual taste of the day, an unimpressive marinated squid, and one oyster, which was sweet and ocean-y and wonderful. I wanted more, but I knew I didn’t have room. The Peking duck was hot, and crisp, and deeply flavorful, and absolutely everything I could have asked for. It was served with shitake noodles (not exciting) and a very good slaw. Mr. Care had the pork shank and reported that it was excellent. I had no room for dessert, but the sorbet terrine with panna cotta was reported to be very good.

Brunch was at Steelhead Diner. We sat at a window with a lovely view of the rain and the market. I had the Sequimbled Eggs, which I could eat for breakfast seven times a week! (Sequim is a town north of Seattle, pronounced “Skwim,” so these were “skwimbled eggs" . . . I loved all the puns in the menu.) The eggs were poached, placed on a bed of the sweetest crabmeat I’ve had in a while, on top of toasted bread (very slightly cheesey—I wouldn’t call it cheese bread, though), with a smooth, tangy hollandaise. VERY yummy.

The Mariners game was great fun—it was Kids’ Appreciation Day, so there were all sorts of non-game involvements for kids. A couple of home runs, a couple of nice defensive plays, and a win over the Rangers—who could ask for anything more? (Okay, sunshine, but I'm not greedy!)

Then came the long, rainy drive home. We stopped in Centralia for dinner, at La Tarasca, based on Pupcart’s recommendation from several years ago. Mr. Care had wonderful chile verde, I had excellent, tender and juicy carnitas; our friends had the pork loin and a chili rellano and all were quite happy. The service was very good. All stuffed, we rolled back into the car and arrived home by 10:30.

I’d repeat any of those visits today, if I could. It will be a long time before I stop dreaming about more garlic fries! Thanks for all of the suggestions—this was a 100% eGullet recommended trip!

edited for clarity

Edited by onehsancare (log)