• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne or Sparkling Wine

teagal

A large winery near where I am has recently opened a "Champagne House". They produce a few sparkling wines and offer tours and tastings. A couple of them are pretty nice.

What bugs me is that they named it the Champagne House. Isn't that so incorrect? I thought only sparkling wines from the Champagne area of France could be called Champagne.

I can understand from a marketing point of view, esp. in a semi-rural area, that the name sounded good and everyone will understand what you are selling, however I feel like the name choice was almost an ethical decision and to me it was a bad choice.

Am I alone in this way of thinking?

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

you are right about that teagal. technically and ethically they are sparkling wines, not champagnes since only those sparkling wines from the champagne region can bear that appelation.

i can see their method rationalle but they may find themselves on the nasty end of a visit from a lawyer since the Champagne region tends to oversee their DOC strongly.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

you are right about that teagal.  technically and ethically they are sparkling wines, not champagnes since only those sparkling wines from the champagne region can bear that appelation. 

i can see their method rationalle but they may find themselves on the nasty end of a visit from a lawyer since the Champagne region tends to oversee their DOC strongly.

I kinda doubt a legal challenge. You can't call a sparkling wine Champagne unless it's made there. Champagne itself is in the public domain.

I forget do the grapes have to come from Champagne or just be made there? I may be thinking olive oil.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I kinda doubt a legal challenge. You can't call a sparkling wine Champagne unless it's made there. Champagne itself is in the public domain.

I forget do the grapes have to come from Champagne or just be made there? I may be thinking olive oil.

The French AOC thing is largely about where the grapes are grown. I suppose you could make Champagne anywhere providing the grapes came from in the right place!

You will find some previous threads on this topic here and a longer one here.

From my perspective, the is purely a marketing/business decision. I don't know where in Missouri you are, but "Sparkling Wine House" probably isn't going to generate the same amount of attention. It may also be a play on words, intentional or unintentional. In some literature, "Chmagne House" is a term that refers to a producer of Champagne, and that producer's standard NV bottling is sometimes referred to as their "House Champagne."

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Doesn't term "champagne" also refer to a method of secondary fermentation?Could they legally put "made in the 'champagne method'" somewhere on their bottles?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

(a) Largely because of a host of treaties between EU nations and EU nations and the Americas, the Middle- and Far-East, only wine made in the region of Champagne is entitled to use that name. I personally am all for that and in favor of all other wines being called "sparkling wine".

(b) Many wineries outside of the area of Champagne have agreed as well to no longer use the words "method Champenoise" on the bottles but to substitute that with "the traditional method".

© In general, the same can be said about Port, Madeira, and other wines that carry the name of a specific place. It is equally true of certain kinds of food products. With cheeses for example, Parmesan, Emmenthal, Gruyere, Camembert...

I didn't realize that there was any conflict over the use of "methode champenoise" for other sparkling wines (cremant, cava, spumante and what-have-you)...since it just tells you that they're following the traditional method but not purporting to be "champagne"