• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snails.........

nonblonde007

Once again, eGullet and its knowledgeable members have led me down the path of enlightenment. It is not the first time, and will hopefully not be the last. Keep in mind I was going by the seat of my pants, here, and have never made snails and had actually only eaten them once previously, so if I did something wrong, please let me know. Also, if I'm not supposed to eat dozens of these periwinkles at a time, please advise me of that.

And a tip I think will help - I started with the toothpick, and was batting about .500 with it and swearing a lot. So I straightened a paper clip, and that worked soooo much better; perfectly, in fact. I don't think I lost another snail after that.

Anyway, periwinkles in a white-wine, butter, garlic, chili thing:

Ready to steam-tile.jpg