• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baking cupcakes

Harry91

Anyone ever tried baking cupcakes in the oven on a rack 2/3 above the bottom, and then on a rack below, having a pan full of hot water (mimicking a bain marie). I'm having a problem with my cupcakes being too dry and was thinking this might keep them moister.

Harry

Just an update--

I used a bit more fat, and a little more milk in the recipe. I also baked the cupcakes (1 dozen) over a water bath. The resultant cupcake was dense and extremely moist (exactly what i was aiming for). I also made an icing recipe i created morphing the popular Sprinkle's recipe with the famous Magnolia's bakery in New York. It involved butter, confectioners sugar, salt, vanilla, sour cream, and melted chocolate. It was delicious.

At the place I work, we always bake our cupcakes with a hotel pan of water on the bottom rack. I find it keeps the tops (and insides) moist and speeds up the baking process. We discovered through trial and error that this was a good consistent way to bake our cupcakes after having many issues with dry and crumbly cupcakes. Although it seemed odd at first, we had such good results, it become our standard in cake/cupcake baking. Good luck!