• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prior to Freezing - to cook or not to cook

Tela T

I'm quite certain that someone out there smarter than I - has dealt with this before. I want to make dinners that come easily out of the freezer - I have the amazingly easy stuffed chicken breast - pound out the chicken breast - stuff with the desired ingredients (I like proscuitto, goat cheese, and pesto) roll it in some seasoned breadcrumbs (use the bagged stuffing munched up - perfect!) and then bake until done - but my real question is - if I want to do as much beforehand as possible - at what point can I freeze them - before cooking; after partially cooking? - I'd love to do bunches at a time and then cook when desired - assuming placing directly into the oven don't even want to consider defrosting - that whole thing about growing a science project with chicken scares me to death! Ideas - suggestions, please??!!

T

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

I would freeze pre-cooking. Then when you want to use, make sure the oven is pre-heated. Cook from frozen; add 10-20 min to the cooking time; check temp w/ a thermometer when cooking. Or, check on a package of frozen stuffed chicken at the grocery store... for cooking times. Keep in mind how your portion size relates to the package, though.

Make sure all your stuffing ingredients are cold before you start!

Karen Dar Woon