• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stange

Jensen

I have been on a quest for about a dozen Stange/Kölsch glasses but (and this is key) without any logo on the side. For those who aren't familiar with them, Wikipedia has a photo of one on their Kölsch page.

I have two glasses from Münster (so more of an Altbier-style, I think) that I love but they have a beer logo on one side and the club logo on the other. To be honest, this is real shape that I want:

gallery_11420_759_3074.jpg

They hold 200 mL and are about 5.5 inches high.

Help! (Please and thank you)

(Oh, I should add that I have googled and searched all the beer glass and stein websites.)

I don't think these are quite the shape you want but I do remember seeing these in the Lee Valley Catalogue.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I asked my boyfriend (who knows more about glassware than I do) if he had seen anything that fit your description/picture, and he pointed out that the picture that you have is not of kolsch glasses (which you said was possible). Kolsch glasses are apparently always straight-sided.

According to Wikipedia, the glass for altbier is a becher, which is similar but with a taper. However, the taper I've been finding on glasses isn't quite the same, and I think it'll be harder to match those glasses.

Beer advocate suggests substituting with a Tom Collins glass, and that might be easier to find (and might have the shape you're looking for). However, they are twice the size volume-wise than a kolsch/altbier glass.

If you're willing to do some investigative work and are really determined to try and find this exact shape, you might want to try contacting brewery that got those glasses printed (maybe the club did it, I don't know) and see who they got the glasses themselves from, and try tracking it back from there. However, unless you're really determined, that might be a lot more work than it's worth.

Sorry, that might not have been much help... you might just want to go with Anna N's suggestion...

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Anna, have I told you lately how much I love you? :biggrin:

Thank you so much for the Lee Valley link. I see some new glasses in my future.

Cookie (you know I'm going to call you that forever now), yeah, the glasses I have are not Kölsch glasses. The real key in knowing that came when I said I got them in Münster... :laugh::laugh:

(Okay, maybe that's only funny if you know Germans.)

I've looked at some German websites for department stores, etc., but haven't found any Stangen. I think because they are such a local item, they're just not available outside of Cologne. Also, buying stuff from a German company involves using an IBAN rather than a credit card and my bank charges an arm and leg to do that.

I will be happy with the glasses from Lee Valley; they're close enough. :biggrin:

Cookie (you know I'm going to call you that forever now), yeah, the glasses I have are not Kölsch glasses. The real key in knowing that came when I said I got them in Münster...

Yeah, I just wanted to point out the obvious :wink:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory